Mcghee Out?

postiejim

So retro, what are you, stupid?

I knew Derek befote he played with Motherwell. I was at that debut Celtic game. Scottish juniot teams are the equivalent of conference league.

Utterly mental :lol:

National League teams are professional sides, some with 3k+ crowds. Otherwise, why bother with Marvin Johnson or Louis Moult when we could just pick up somebody of similar quality at Pollock or Auchinleck Talbot?

• Like 1

Utterly mental :lol:

National League teams are professional sides, some with 3k+ crowds. Otherwise, why bother with Marvin Johnson or Louis Moult when we could just pick up somebody of similar quality at Pollock or Auchinleck Talbot?

Forest Green Rovers, who we signed Frear from, have their new 5000 capacity stadium plans here (made of wood apparently). Pretty much exactly the same as Pollok IMO.

winning-stadium-design-announced_news_ar

https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/first-team-news/2016/winning-stadium-design-announced

161110164459-forest-green-rovers-gal-1-e

161110164503-forest-green-rovers-gal-4-e

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/18/football/forest-green-rovers-worlds-first-wooden-stadium/

Tait- I had my doubts about defensively to begin with, but I actually think he's been a really good signing in the end up. You're entitled to your opinion on him however, but do you think he's a downgrade from recent right backs? I'd rather have him than Moutouakil, Saunders, Ramsden, Kerr, Reid and Law there so if you consider right-back a problem, I don't think you can make it exclusive to McGhee.

Heneghan- basically see above but Page, Cummins, Ramsden, O'Brien, Kerr, Laing, Kennedy.

To be fair neither of these guys is terrible but neither is much more than average either. Tait is an upgrade on the likes of Law but not by much. The advantage is probably greater defensively but he contributes to what is a fairly flat back four and doesn't offer much offensively.

It might be an unfashionable opinion but it highlights for me just how good Tom hately was...

And aye, lots of other duff centre halves but for me the point is we are no longer pondering the relative merits of players like Reynolds or Hutchison, we are scrabbling about trying to get a big lad who can chuck himself in the general vicinity of a football every so often

Are there enough names, to form a cabal yet?

Club Captain Keith Lasley

Lee McCulloch

Greig Denham

Andy Walker

Alex Burns

Scott Leitch(Indirectly)

Alex Kennedy - Craigmark Burntonians

Ian Clinging - Carluke Rovers

John Goldthorpe - Lesmahagow

Graeme Forbes - Lochee United

Joe Wark?

Fraser Wishart

Mark Reilly

Ian Ross

• Like 2

To be fair neither of these guys is terrible but neither is much more than average either. Tait is an upgrade on the likes of Law but not by much. The advantage is probably greater defensively but he contributes to what is a fairly flat back four and doesn't offer much offensively.

I'd argue it's the other way round. Tait offers quite a lot going forward and has about 6 assists from right back this season. He is quite bad defensively, I would argue no better than Law and if so by a very small margin.

• Like 3

I'm no lover of re-employing past employees and at the time, he certainly steadied a sinking ship. But I can honestly say, that on top of my own, I've seen attendance dwindle around me (when I'm there), and without that revenue coming through the club, we wont have a team performing at this level for much longer.

His contract ?is up at the end of the season?, and if so, I think we should be looking for applicants for the position. McGhee may well not want to re-apply, but I think for the sake of the club, we need to look at other options. Offering him a contract straight out the bag, to me, isnt on option.

I look on SPFL management like 'contract work', if you perform well, you would expect it to be automaticaly renewed, mediocre and below your up against the other applicants for the post. If the football club is a 'business', then we need the decision makers to run it as such and not let 'personal' relationships or 'loyalty' get in the way of the progression of the club.

Time for change, before we slip into the lower divisions and into obscurity.

Like players, there is little loyalty left in management (how many interviews did we let McGhee attend in his first tenure), and personally I would like to see us cut out ties with McGhee and move on, his tactics and use of substitutions has long been a bone of contention.

• Like 2

Tait is unremarkable at best, and we've 'fucked' Bowman?

Going to need to request someone show their working for these.

Tait has five assists, putting him as the most productive right-back in the league, in this respect, on a par with Lee Wallace as the defender with most assists in the league (and the top 15 in total). I may be wrong, but until he came off twenty minutes into the Hearts game, he's played every minute for us this season?

Unremarkable Richard Tait, doing unremarkable things, apparently.

Bowman: I can see why we chucked him in. Sign him, chuck him in, see what happens. What happened: We scored four goals and absolutely fucked Accies, because they couldn't cope with him. Since then: Struggled, possibly understandably. Our hand was forced with Johnson, and I'd expect to see more of him next season.

Tait is unremarkable at best, and we've 'fucked' Bowman?

Going to need to request someone show their working for these.

Tait has five assists, putting him as the most productive right-back in the league, in this respect, on a par with Lee Wallace as the defender with most assists in the league (and the top 15 in total). I may be wrong, but until he came off twenty minutes into the Hearts game, he's played every minute for us this season?

Unremarkable Richard Tait, doing unremarkable things, apparently.

Bowman: I can see why we chucked him in. Sign him, chuck him in, see what happens. What happened: We scored four goals and absolutely fucked Accies, because they couldn't cope with him. Since then: Struggled, possibly understandably. Our hand was forced with Johnson, and I'd expect to see more of him next season.

Nah he was subbed off for Bowman towards the end of the Sevco game.

He'd have 6 assists if Moult's first header hadn't been incorrectly ruled offside in the Accies game as well. I'm telling you stuff you already know here but I'm in complete agreement, he's an absolutely huge part of our play going forward. The diagonal balls he stands up to the back post are consistent and one of our most productive attacking outlets.

• Like 1

So retro, what are you, stupid?

I knew Derek befote he played with Motherwell. I was at that debut Celtic game. Scottish juniot teams are the equivalent of conference league.

Lets sort it out in the way that a five year old can understand, in the case of Bowman.

Guy plays for junior team.

Guy is signed by a professional team at midnight August 31.

Guy does not have a professional pre-season.

Guy is put on the pitch v teams like Celtic who are competing in the Champions League. Every other team is fielding seasoned profesdionals.

Guy is out of his depth.

Total wank Motherwell fans go ape cos he ain't up to speed.

Total wanks like you can't understand the basic point.

Yes, we can recruit and nurture from the conference.

No, we can't sign guys one day from the juniors one day ( like Derek ) and expect them to compete against Celtic the next.

It's a complete and utter fucking absurdity and failure of club management.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had hoped to do so last night but was busy wiping out a troll cabal on a forum in Asia. They are rife these days.

Anyway, you sir are a fucking mentalist. Maybe you should organise a friendly between Forest Green Rovers and Shotts Bon Accord to see who wins?

• Like 2

In my opinion you have to appreciate the difference in the junior set up now and a lot of years ago. Then the juniors were mostly made up of young players with skill and talent to be developed, much like the U20s today. Might just be my perception of course but "junior teams" now are mostly made up of old and/or failed professional players. There will be very few Joe Warks or even further back Pat Quinn, Willie Hunter to be found there now.

I'm no lover of re-employing past employees and at the time, he certainly steadied a sinking ship. But I can honestly say, that on top of my own, I've seen attendance dwindle around me (when I'm there), and without that revenue coming through the club, we wont have a team performing at this level for much longer.

His contract ?is up at the end of the season?, and if so, I think we should be looking for applicants for the position. McGhee may well not want to re-apply, but I think for the sake of the club, we need to look at other options. Offering him a contract straight out the bag, to me, isnt on option.

I look on SPFL management like 'contract work', if you perform well, you would expect it to be automaticaly renewed, mediocre and below your up against the other applicants for the post. If the football club is a 'business', then we need the decision makers to run it as such and not let 'personal' relationships or 'loyalty' get in the way of the progression of the club.

Time for change, before we slip into the lower divisions and into obscurity.

Like players, there is little loyalty left in management (how many interviews did we let McGhee attend in his first tenure), and personally I would like to see us cut out ties with McGhee and move on, his tactics and use of substitutions has long been a bone of contention.

I'm not sure declining attendances can be laid at McGhee's door. They have been on the slide for a decade despite it being the most sustained period of league success in our history. If finishing 2nd or 3rd still only sees us treading water then we are in trouble. I think our fanbase need to re-evaluate what success looks like at Fir Park.

Personally, I'm more than happy to see McGhee stay on. He has a track record of relative success amongst some relative lows so I know there are no guarantees however his overall record for us is good - with the exception of just missing out on the top 6 in 2009 (which isn't exactly the end of the world), he's taken us to 3rd and arguably even more impressive took us to 5th last year. He's got a steady stream of u20's coming into the first team and has us currently sitting 6th. Yes, he is (or was?) a careerist however in 2007 he guided the club admirably through it's darkest days and I personally have never forgotten that, regardless of how his conduct as he left is perceived. He's just had his 3rd transfer window and for the first time in a few years, the squad now looks balanced and strong. I do now anticipate we'll see a strong finish to the season and if so, I'm quite excited to see what McGhee can do for us next year.

To me this is the bigger picture, and if that is overshadowed by you disagreeing with his substitutions then I'm not sure any manager will meet your expectations.

• Like 1

I'm not sure declining attendances can be laid at McGhee's door. They have been on the slide for a decade despite it being the most sustained period of league success in our history. If finishing 2nd or 3rd still only sees us treading water then we are in trouble. I think our fanbase need to re-evaluate what success looks like at Fir Park.

Avg attendance 2006/07 - 5877 (finished 10th under Malpas)

Avg attendance 2011/12 - 5946 (finished 3rd under McCall)

The 2011/12 season was before Rangers went under as well so there's not even an argument that them not being in the league had a knock on effect on attendances.

So basically a season that saw a 3rd place finish resulted in an average figure of 69 more people through the gate than a season with one of the worst managers I've seen at Fir Park in charge. Puts things into a bit of context tbh.

• Like 1