Mcghee Out?

postiejim

Personally I'm not ready to join the 'McGhee Out' mob yet for the same reasons that many have outlined here and to be honest, I have zero faith in the people currently running our club to make a better appointment if McGhee was to leave.

However, this nonsense about the video that appeared on Twitter is ridiculous. People calling it embarrassing while at the same time saying he doesn't care makes no sense and in any case, he showed a lot more restraint than I would have in the same scenario. If my team was putting in that sort of inept performance and getting absolutely pumped and I was ordered to sit in the stand like a wee schoolboy, only to have some bawbag shout abuse at me and stick a phone in my face, I'd have the phone smashed to bits and probably be done for assault.

Alright saying he should have been more professional but the same people saying that would be in an uproar if McGhee had spent the full 90 minutes sitting in the dugout emotionless.

The guy can't win with a section of our fans and while there have been a fair few decisions he's made that I disagree with, we could definitely be much worse off.

• Like 8

I was speaking to one of McGhees fellow Premier League managers yesterday, who after having a wee chuckle at the video of McGhee 'losing the plot', went on to slate the 4th officials...in the way that they speak to management and Club staff, getting involved in stuff thats really not necessary, usually not understanding the situations that arise around the technical area and pretty much being paid highly for doing next to fuck all of any importance.

He also went on to say (and I hope he wasn't just trying to make me feel better), that in his belief that Motherwell are in a relatively strong position in the league in terms of avoiding relegation...three of his quotes were, 'look at the run of games he's come through recently, they're all out the road now' (obviously after the Celtic game), 'they generally get good results against the teams around them, which is what matters' and 'when they get their full team on the pitch, they are much stronger than the likes of Accies and Inverness'.

Now, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as much as this guy, but for me it all rings true...I have virtually no doubt that we'll be competing in the Premier League next year. Whether thats enough to quell the baying mob I highly doubt, but it does for me this season.

Just building upon that comment about the run of games we have been on.

Here's a statistic for consideration.

Excluding Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts (the top 4 for a reason). We are unbeaten since we lost to Dundee on 5th November. The game where Skippy's goal should have been given.

Since then we've played the top 4 six times in the league (7 come the weekend) and once in the cup.

It's some run and especially feels like a shit time given 5 of our first 6 games in 2017 are against the top 4.

It was always going to be a tough ask to come away with many points. However you could argue the performances perhaps have magnified the difficulty of the task.

You being right is clearly the main issue in the wake of this crushing defeat. Away and sling yer beaded seat cover up yer arse you taxi driving prick

If me being right is an indicator of how woeful this management decision was, then you are correct. A mere taxi driving prick like me could see the disasyer awaiting our club, as you would have it.

Which is pitiful, as we are now taking more sore skelpings under McGhee than I can remember at any time in 42 years as a Well fan.

Lets make it tasty, Eddie. I used the profit from being a tsxi driver to start a business that alowed me to travel the world and retire at 43. Ask the mods on this forum to track my IP addresses. They know exactly who I am according to Superward.

Excellent.

I'm exactly the kind of guy you don't call a prick to his face if you like the idea of having your face look the same way the next morning. You are the kind of big mouth coward that hides behind your IP.

Since May last year, I have beat this drum. You are watching the St Mirrenification of MFC at the hands of Alan Burrows and Mark McGhee.

The true pricks on this forum are those that can't see it.

Over to you, Mr Hard Man.

• Like 1

If me being right is an indicator of how woeful this management decision was, then you are correct. A mere taxi driving prick like me could see the disasyer awaiting our club, as you would have it.

Which is pitiful, as we are now taking more sore skelpings under McGhee than I can remember at any time in 42 years as a Well fan.

Lets make it tasty, Eddie. I used the profit from being a tsxi driver to start a business that alowed me to travel the world and retire at 43. Ask the mods on this forum to track my IP addresses. They know exactly who I am according to Superward.

Excellent.

I'm exactly the kind of guy you don't call a prick to his face if you like the idea of having your face look the same way the next morning. You are the kind of big mouth coward that hides behind your IP.

Since May last year, I have beat this drum. You are watching the St Mirrenification of MFC at the hands of Alan Burrows and Mark McGhee.

The true pricks on this forum are those that can't see it.

Over to you, Mr Hard Man.

Settle doon Rocky. Love it.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme

I have no idea what took place on Wednesday evening when Mark McGhee "lost it". He was clearly under pressure as we all would have been but to send him to the stand amongst antagonistic opposition fans was downright daft and even potentially dangerous. I'm just surprised that the Police didn't intervene and stop the 4th Official. By all means take disciplinary action but this was downright wrong.

I've always been positive in regards to Mark McGhee, however he has a track record of adopting overthought formations that seem to unravel more times than not.

I'm unsure about players downing tools though!

Granted, if I was Moult, Skippy, Ainsworth I would be pissed of at the defensive tactics and utilisation of defensive midfielders "supporting" forward players.

We look pedestrian at best and often unbalanced at worst.

However, new players coming in may address this, however they will need time to adapt to the pace here and the step up. Next season after a "proper preseason" may show the hidden gems we are trying to exploit.

I think the big picture maybe longer term with the U20 players making a break though, so IMO I still think Mark McGhee and Co can turn this around in time.

However, he needs to bring back entertainment in selections while juggling with youth, ageing players and lower league players.

A tall order for anyone.

FFS though, get back to basics and have a go with the flair players Mark.

COYW!

• Like 1

4th officials are completely pointless and a waste of money. Their job entails telling people to stay in their wee area and holding up a board. Christ, they don't even programme the numbers into the boards when teams want to make a sub. Complete and utter waste of money.

One of his jobs is to keep an eye on what the ref can't see and keep separate records to make sure the ref doesn't do something like cautioning the wrong player. So at least that never happens any more... :whistling:

13th February 2016, Motherwell 0 Kilmarnock 2 - a toothless demoralising performance.

I came away from Fir Park that afternoon convinced we would be relegated.

We won 8 and lost 5 of our last thirteen games and ended up in the top six.

I'm pretty sure if you trawled back through this forum after that game you would see the same melt down.

I did not expect us to recover from that display but we did. I am just as worried one year on.

Football is so unpredictable and results can be swayed by very fine margins.

We have not had the best of luck this year.

With the fixtures we have three away games v Aberdeen Rangers and Celtic.

Good goals not given or wrongly chalked off (Partick and Dundee away are two anyway). Two fluke deflected first goals in the home Hearts games. The dubious red cards that not only affect that game but also the next couple when the suspensions kick in. Away draws to the Old Firm in the cups.

Yes McGhee makes some strange selections and seems to over think the tactics at times. He appears arrogant but those that think he doesn't care enough are surely shot down by his interviews after the Rangers games and even his antics at Pittodrie the other night.

I question peoples reasons for hating him.

He went looking for a better job in the wake of the success he had here the first time. So what, football management is his job. I applied for lots of jobs in my time that I thought would be better and pay more.

And finally no one ever seems to mention the magnificent job he did in the aftermath of Phil O'Donnell's death. I thought he led the club through that terrible time with dignity.

All those wanting him out be careful what you wish for there are a lot of numpties out there wanting to manage football clubs. And if his likely successor is McFadden or Craigan that really gives me the fear.

• Like 3

Not so sure about that. The last time Aberdeen horsed us in such a manner they beat us 8-0 whilst recording our biggest ever defeat. This was a fortnight after losing 6-0 away to Morton. In the midst losing nine successive games. Said run also included a 4-0 loss and two 3-0's.

And finally no one ever seems to mention the magnificent job he did in the aftermath of Phil O'Donnell's death. I thought he led the club through that terrible time with dignity.

To be fair, that was mentioned many times when people were moaning about him getting the job for the second time, and I doubt even the most anti-McGhee crowd would disagree with you. But the cold reality is that you ultimately have to assess football managers based on things like results, leadership qualities and working with the club on a clear plan for the future, not on how well they might handle one of the most awful and unlikely things that could ever happen.

• Like 1

Not so sure about that. The last time Aberdeen horsed us in such a manner they beat us 8-0 whilst recording our biggest ever defeat. This was a fortnight after losing 6-0 away to Morton. In the midst losing nine successive games. Said run also included a 4-0 loss and two 3-0's.

Stop using facts. All we need is bombast and conjecture thank you very much.

• Like 1

To be fair, that was some time ago, under Ally McLeod, a few weeks after he basically ditched an entire first team to play reserve players.

This forum will be hilarious if we win tomorrow......MCGHEE IS A MASTER TACTICIAN AND MUST STAY!!!!! Heh he. On a serious note I am fed up with McGhee deflecting everything from the performance. I personally don't care if he falls out with 4th official I want him to be talking and saying how angry he was with the team performance. His interviews are becoming an embarrassment and needs to get a good result soon. Personally I blame it on the Albion Rovers Cup defeat in 2014!!!! ba boom

I don't really mind who is manager of Motherwell, I remember being frustrated at Gannon's persona in the media but I don't take anything McGhee says seriously, possibly the wisdom that comes with age. On balance I prefer continuity rather than change.

• Like 1

I'm wasting my time on this website. Way too many halfwit fan boys.

Burrows cost you £250,000 when he let Robbie Leitch go free.

Lasley embarrassed the club by moaning about his £450 basic wage offer, comparing it yo a taxi drivers wage.

Any of you so called connected fans can go ask Burrows -

Where's the Leitch money?

Why did Lasley cancel out on his charity engagements last summer?

The club has taken you for wankers all year and you are too thick to see it.

Get McGhee and Burrows to fuck.

Now.

• Like 2

Recent results, Andy? The last 12 months have seen us take two 7 goal and ond six goal humiliations. We're now at a point where a mere 5-0 is regarded as acceptable.

WTF.

Come on. We are talking about taking LIFETIME BAD RESULTS in the same year.

• Like 1

If we lost out on money for Robbie Leitch I'd be asking questions of the head of the youth academy who must surely have an eye on the situation regarding contracts.

Yeh, correct. That's another issue.

Ask Burrows where the £250 grand is.

It's down to him.

Where's the money, Burrows?

The money that would have allowed you to sign Bowman on July 1st and given him a full pre-season?

• Like 2

I think that McGhee is about as good as we are going to get as a manager. He has vast amounts of experience and has shown that he can bring success, even if that success is often short lived. Just like Lionel Ainsworth who's inconsistency makes him a Motherwell standard player, despite his obvious ability, McGhee would not be our manager if he was consistently good.

I always feel that we have two choices as a manager. A tried and tested Scottish manager with a chequered past, or a young manager trying to build a reputation. My preference would always be for the latter because there is always that hope, however slim, that the club has unearthed the next Alex Ferguson. I enjoyed the Gannon and Baraclough era's if only because they brought a freshness of thought to the the often parochial, narrow minded Scottish Football old boy's club (that includes the press and senior players). They also did not have the Old Firm fear that drips from the likes of Stuart McCall, Craig Brown and McGhee himself. As a collective support however, we have proved that we don't have the stomach for an experiment.

That leaves us with the Scottish managers, the ones who ensure mid-table respectability but are happy to accept losing 5+ goals to the Old Firm eight times a season.

McGhee has been unlucky this season. He has drawn Rangers twice in separate cup competitions and Celtic once (both away from home at the knock out stage) and he has had to over-see a player budget reduction.

As a positive, he has introduced some of the young players to the first team squad and has kept pace with the other teams in the league (outwith the top four).

I think if we had a fully focused Mark McGhee, we would be absolutely fine. Maybe the board can use recent results as leverage, to make him focus a little more on his Motherwell responsibilities. For now I would rather have the continuity and maybe it can be looked at again in the summer.

• Like 2