Mcghee Out?

postiejim

Wondered when he would get the blame

You employ a manager for a reason, you have to trust that manager to mould ,develop and build the team. Unless you think your mr Romanov then I don't think you should be stepping in as a Chief operating officer and passing judgment on a players age.

Nothing to do with burrows,unfair to blame him for "sanctioning" players who are under performing

Just my opinion mind you

Burrows represents the club ethic. This notion of handing full control to a manager is so 1970's. No serious professional top level club now adopts that attitude.

That's cos they've been stung too many times by managers mistakes, and lumbered with contracts years after the manager was sacked.

Who in their right mind thought it was a great plan to go into this season with so many ancient and broken players.

• Like 1

Everybody who's saying he's doing a good job... on paper the likes of St Johnstone and Ross Co aren't any better than us but they have managers who are doing a good job.We have the best front 2 in the league outside the old firm and had he not signed so much shite behind them we could easily have been a top half team this season.Even if we ignore his pish signing it then comes down to his poor management and decision making.Whether making changes earlier would work or not is beside the point, the fact is he's a stubbornt cautious shitebag who refuses to make changes that everybody can clearly see need made and questions really need to be asked about our training because most of the players look fucked after an hour.How we've done with him in previous seasins is irrelevant the fact is we're in serious danger of going down this season.So yes for me he should go especially if we go on a losing run over the next month which is highly likely.We need some enthusiasm and someone who'll set a team up to have a go and not just defend and hope we score.

• Like 3

I'm not sure things are as bad as they seem. 21 points from a possible 63 is relegation form in any normal year, however this is panning out to be an abnormal year.

If we are aiming for the top 6, we're only 2 points off it with a game in hand, and if we are looking to avoid relegation our record against the 'bottom 7' is W5 D5 L2. This is an exceptionally tight league where the margin for error is tiny however I think we've got enough quality to stay safe.

Personally, I do think we have the players to get the results to see us climb up the table. Our problem is that they are taking it in turns to put in a good performance, rather than the majority clicking in the same game. I'm not without my doubts that McGhee can make this happen, however I'm not sure there is a manager out there better equipped than him to try.

Also, as an aside (for some I'm sure this undermines any credibility of my comments above) - I find him quite likeable.

• Like 1

I agree with the poster that "we should be careful what we wish for" and St Mirren's plight should be the warning to us all.

I also agree with the poster who said we are reaching Barraclough levels of "throw enough shite and hope that it sticks" though as we have players picking up a wage and continuing nothing. Blyth, Bowman, Kennedy and Laing being the main ones. Whilst you can't get every signing right we surely can't be getting so many wrong?

Is the reality somewhere in the middle?

I think McGhee is here till the end of the season regardless of form and the worry there is if we do somehow manage to stay up is it will be by the skin of our teeth as 21 games into the season there is no progression in terms of eradicating mistakes being made both by the manager and players. And that includes addressing why the players look knackered after 60/70 minutes and are losing so many late goals.

Would I be right in saying we haven't won back to back games all season?

Maybe there will be a decision to make if we lose to County, Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic to make it 5 defeats in a row after today. Failure to beat Dundee in the following game might see either a resignation or a dismissal. A run like that will almost certainly see us bottom.

Everyone connected to Motherwell needs the January signings to hit the ground running.

Not having seen much this year I can only go by what I'm reading and in the small highlights clips. Maybe not the first name on the team sheet but certainly one i'd start with every week is Ainsworth. yes he can be lazy, yes he can be disinterested but at least his record shows he can score and create. From what I can gather we have players in the team every week that should not be there and are at best, invisible and the odds of them scoring or creating is pretty slim.

Maybe Cadden has to step inside and be right center Mid with Ainsworth wide. We now have the wide left player but remains to be seen if he is any good or not. Haivng 2 wide players may give Cadden more room through the middle to play box to box. Now with Ainsworth Cadden and Frear you have a midfield that is a bit more mobile. The 4th one ? McHugh? Lasley ? Up front it's obviously McDonald and Moult barring suspensions and injuries.

I'd try and play settled team if possible and replace like for like to cover suspensions and injuries. No clue about left back but Hammel is just a shadow of his former self.

Again not sure who would be the player to fill in for McDonald. Do you go with a Target guy for Moult to feed off?

Samson

Tait Hall McManus ??

Ainsworth Cadden McHugh Frear

Skippy Moult

I think that looks a pretty decent team, if we have a left back and Frear is half decent. Good enough to stay up with room to spare....... let the stone throwing commence. could easily swich back and forth between 442 and 433 if desired

get stubbs in now before its to late

Not a bad shout. Stubbs knows the game here really well. However, I would give McGhee until the end of the season and pray that he can keep us up.

Since the mid 80s, at times we’ve rode our relegation luck. It would be arrogant to think that it won’t happen to us again and as sure as night follows day it will eventually happen. As Dundee United, Hibernian and St Mirren have all shown, if you take your eye of the ball you can get yourself into a real mess. It goes without saying there are some tough times ahead.

Everybody who's saying he's doing a good job... on paper the likes of St Johnstone and Ross Co aren't any better than us but they have managers who are doing a good job.We have the best front 2 in the league outside the old firm and had he not signed so much shite behind them we could easily have been a top half team this season.Even if we ignore his pish signing it then comes down to his poor management and decision making.Whether making changes earlier would work or not is beside the point, the fact is he's a stubbornt cautious shitebag who refuses to make changes that everybody can clearly see need made and questions really need to be asked about our training because most of the players look fucked after an hour.How we've done with him in previous seasins is irrelevant the fact is we're in serious danger of going down this season.So yes for me he should go especially if we go on a losing run over the next month which is highly likely.We need some enthusiasm and someone who'll set a team up to have a go and not just defend and hope we score.

When was the last time we finished a season above St. Johnstone? The conclusion to draw there is they are better than us.

You say we have the best front 2 in the league, well Liam Boyce is the top scorer in the league. Ross County have a chairman who's willing to put money into the team, we aren't in that position. Even so there are only a couple of points between both the teams.

As for the rest there is barely anything between between them. Again the conclusion to draw is if you are a provincial team in this league then we are roughly equivalent to where we should be. If we won our game in hand we would go Top 6.

A lot of our supporters are having their Brexit/Trump ragin' moment of mass stupidity.

• Like 1

Not having seen much this year I can only go by what I'm reading and in the small highlights clips. Maybe not the first name on the team sheet but certainly one i'd start with every week is Ainsworth. yes he can be lazy, yes he can be disinterested but at least his record shows he can score and create. From what I can gather we have players in the team every week that should not be there and are at best, invisible and the odds of them scoring or creating is pretty slim.

Maybe Cadden has to step inside and be right center Mid with Ainsworth wide. We now have the wide left player but remains to be seen if he is any good or not. Haivng 2 wide players may give Cadden more room through the middle to play box to box. Now with Ainsworth Cadden and Frear you have a midfield that is a bit more mobile. The 4th one ? McHugh? Lasley ? Up front it's obviously McDonald and Moult barring suspensions and injuries.

I'd try and play settled team if possible and replace like for like to cover suspensions and injuries. No clue about left back but Hammel is just a shadow of his former self.

Again not sure who would be the player to fill in for McDonald. Do you go with a Target guy for Moult to feed off?

Samson

Tait Hall McManus ??

Skippy Moult

I think that looks a pretty decent team, if we have a left back and Frear is half decent. Good enough to stay up with room to spare....... let the stone throwing commence. could easily swich back and forth between 442 and 433 if desired

My main gripe with McGhee is we are 25+ games into the season and McGhee is no closer to knowing his best team and best formation than when we rolled over to Rangers in mid-July.

Sure injuries and new signings have hampered us but he's went into this season without a clear plan as to how we should play. Furthermore our lack of style and fitness suggests we aren't spending our time on the training ground wisely.

I was baffled to hear that McGhee didn't join up with the squad until Wednesday this week...

Tait Hall McManus ??

Skippy Moult

Drop the guy who has played 500 games for ???? and start the guy who couldn't bring the ball under control in 15 mins.

Probably not a good idea.

When was the last time we finished a season above St. Johnstone? The conclusion to draw there is they are better than us.

It's almost as if it's better to sign to Scottish players than chancers from non League English football.

13 players today. 12 played for other Scottish clubs and 1 through the youth team.

If you are happy non-contesting games against the old firm, McGhee gets us by.

However, fans are paying extra at the gate or in the season book for these games, so we are being shortchanged and have a right to question negative / clueless tactics.

But we haven't non-contested them all. Since McGhee's been back we've beaten Celtic at their patch and had a right go at them at ours, losing out to a late moment of class. The frustrating thing is that we don't take that approach to all of the games against the OF (or other opposition for that matter).

Rangers still don't look any better than a decent Premiership side and other teams have demonstrated that if you pressure their defence they can't cope. We were doing it well today until McDonald's sending off. Some will argue that being set up not to lose is a good approach, but we just don't have the level of players able to keep their concentration and fitness for 90 minutes against superior opposition.

Much better to live and die by the sword in my opinion. I can always take losing better when we've been thoroughly outplayed by a better team while trying to have a go. That today is a very sore one to take.

You say we have the best front 2 in the league, well Liam Boyce is the top scorer in the league. Ross County have a chairman who's willing to put money into the team, we aren't in that position. Even so there are only a couple of points between both the teams.

As for the rest there is barely anything between between them. Again the conclusion to draw is if you are a provincial team in this league then we are roughly equivalent to where we should be. If we won our game in hand we would go Top 6.

A lot of our supporters are having their Brexit/Trump ragin' moment of mass stupidity.

Compare the 2 teams and i don't think they are better, they're a bottom half team with a worse support and not much in it financially they just have a decent manager.

Again i don't think Boyce is any better than Moult.

We've went from being a regular top half team to struggling to stay up over the last 3 season, not all McGhee's fault obviously but he's had plenty of time and got the players in that he wanted and we're still shite.It's not all about the money, we picked up plenty of decent players from the English lower leagues for free before when we were pushing for Europe every season, his signing from the lower leagues have been shite for the most part.I can't think of one of his signings who's actually improved the team this season.

We've went from being a regular top half team to struggling to stay up over the last 3 season

??!? That's just not true. We've finished outside the top 6 once in the last 3 seasons, including last season where we finished 5th and 14 points clear of 11th.

We also need to accept Hearts and Aberdeen have finally got their shit together and St Johnstone have taken over our mantle as plucky outsider. They'll have a quite bit to go before the replicate our achievements over the last decade though.

Drop the guy who has played 500 games for ???? and start the guy who couldn't bring the ball under control in 15 mins.

Probably not a good idea.

Its a great idea and should have happened before now, Lasley is done and when he plays he ends up constantly chasing the game the same goes for Hammell both of them have had their day.

• Like 1

Only 12 games till the split and I think we've got him no matter what happens. imho the present team is worse than the team that won the play off. Yes we can still stay up, lots to play for but it's getting tight.

Course it's worse , because we are operating with a much poorer financial budget ......if McGhee hadn't come in when had did a few years ago , we would have gone down

• Like 1

Honest to fuck, this place is absolutely unreal at times.

You get what you pay for in this league, hence why bringing in a load of players from the level we (and six other sides in the league) do, is going to lead to not the best performances.

If we win our game in hand, we're in 6th position. Just what in the fuck do people expect from this football club, when it's been on record christ knows how many times that financially we're just about getting by? Surviving relegation is the number one priority this season, yet we're currently on track for that as well as giving experience to youngsters from the academy. There's a element of supporters of this football club, which IMO is getting bigger as each month goes by, that continually act like spoilt fucking children. "I want, I want, I want". People tweeting Alan Burrows about sacking the manager? How pathetic do you need to be to do that?

Someone nailed it earlier in the thread when giving the example of St. Mirren a few years back. Be very careful what you wish for.

• Like 9

Honest to fuck, this place is absolutely unreal at times.

You get what you pay for in this league, hence why bringing in a load of players from the level we (and six other sides in the league) do, is going to lead to not the best performances.

Some truth in what you say although I wouldn't be quite so dogmatic. Generally you're right in that you get what you pay for. However there are some significant exceptions ie St Johnstone and to a lesser extent Partick Thistle. Both have different approaches to us, with a lesser emphasis on youth development. Neither club tends to sign flair players but instead opt for experienced pros with the "right" attitude. Saints in particular are very well organised, solid and reliable if unspectacular, physical and very streetwise. You might not take strong exception to their opinions but folks on here and in the wider support are entitled to express them. There's a wide diversity of views on here, and I've no idea whatsoever how representative they are of our entire support, but they are interesting to read.

St. Johnstone are going through a spell similar to what we did in the McCall years, albeit with better financial results. They also managed what we didn't in winning a major cup.

It's a very short term approach, with instant results. I have no issues with that, and congratulate them with what they are doing, but it won't last, just like ours didn't.

If people want to question results, tactics, manager's approach? Absolutely no problem, and I'm happy to debate. People, however, throwing the toys out of the pram because we've lost back to back games against the second best side in the country, and we're not at the top end of the league is brat-like behaviour, IMO. Fans displaying the short-term thinking, and not seeing what the bigger picture is here, are going down the same road which nearly took us to financial ruin a few short years ago.

It's going to be a battle this season, no question about it. Having this nonsense dragged up after every defeat is becoming very, very boring.

• Like 9