Mcghee Out?

postiejim

It's a very short term approach, with instant results. I have no issues with that, and congratulate them with what they are doing, but it won't last, just like ours didn't.

Yep. St Johnstone have done very well, and a huge part of that is down to Tommy Wright. They're pragmatic, and their players are consistent performers, in the main.

They've also brought through what, two youth players in a decade? We've had more youth players at left back against them, than they have in total.

It's different strategies, and in reality, are we miles away from them? They've got a strategy of bringing in consistent performers, and we've got a strategy of growing our players and selling them.

I feel like I've banged on loads about this as well, but having McHugh sitting at home for a big part of this season has been such a loss to us. We're a better team with him in it, and we'll see that for the rest of the year, I have no doubt.

I have a feeling St Johnstone will start to decline in the next few seasons. If you look at who they have out of contract,it's about 10 or 11 first team players that are free to leave this summer.

ST. JOHNSTONE (13) - Aaron Comrie, Liam Craig, Brian Easton, Richard Foster, Liam Gordon, George Hunter, Steven MacLean, Alan Mannus, Chris Millar, Tam Scobbie, Joe Shaughnessy, Danny Swanson, David Wotherspoon

Lot of those players will be hard to replace if they leave, possibly an even tougher job than McCall had in 2013 after Law,Higdon etc left. They might not fall quite as far as we did, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish bottom six next year.

I have a feeling St Johnstone will start to decline in the next few seasons. If you look at who they have out of contract,it's about 10 or 11 first team players that are free to leave this summer.

ST. JOHNSTONE (13) - Aaron Comrie, Liam Craig, Brian Easton, Richard Foster, Liam Gordon, George Hunter, Steven MacLean, Alan Mannus, Chris Millar, Tam Scobbie, Joe Shaughnessy, Danny Swanson, David Wotherspoon

Lot of those players will be hard to replace if they leave, possibly an even tougher job than McCall had in 2013 after Law,Higdon etc left. They might not fall quite as far as we did, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish bottom six next year.

I agree St Johnstone's run of success won't last but these players won't be hard to replace. For the most part they're decent journeymen no more and quite a few will re-sign. Those who leave will be replaced. Tom Wright has a knack of getting the best from ordinary but solid players. .

• Like 1

Looks an ageing squad at a glance.

Forgive me for being an optimist, but we have a game in hand and are two points from being in the top 6. Hearts new manager has yet to prove himself, winning only one league game so far, so we don't know how good they will be. Every chance come the split, we could be fighting for 5th/6th. Let's hope these new additions and possibly pearson, can add to this team and push us upwards.

The funny thing about all this is since the beginning of December we've only lost 3 out of 8 and those 3 defeats were against Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen.

In terms of form the only teams better than us are.....you guessed it.....Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen.

I think it's fair to say some people's irrational dislike of McGhee doesn't take much to get it stirred up.

Frankly a lot of people should be a bit embarrassed, especially by some of the scenes in the East Stand on Saturday. Doesn't seem to be much calm perspective around these days, football or otherwise.

• Like 2

I tell you what, whether you really really love him or really really hate him it's soul-sappingly tiresome reading the weekly oneupmanship that goes on after every win or loss.

I agree. Do we need the point scoring every week? The thread's called "McGhee Out?". If you think it's a ridiculous idea, avoid the thread for the most part. If you think he's a shovelfaced charlatan, you don't need to bump this thread every time we lose a game...

I agree. Do we need the point scoring every week? The thread's called "McGhee Out?". If you think it's a ridiculous idea, avoid the thread for the most part. If you think he's a shovelfaced charlatan, you don't need to bump this thread every time we lose a game...

Difficult to avoid calls for the managers head. It's hardly a minor detail.

Especially when you are at the game and surrounded by slavering numpties screaming a level of abuse at the manager that previous incumbents, who were far worse, never even came close to getting.

Since when did stating facts and asking for a sense of perspective become 'point scoring'?

I have to agree, everytime we win/lose there seems to be a bit of one upmanship going on. By all means we should all have an opinion over the manager but at the end of the day we are fans. Present an argument rather than just making sarcy comments against fellow fans. We all want the team to do well. The thing is just because we won last night doesn't mean McGhee is doing an amazing job, our form recently is absolutely dreadful and we are coming into a hard run of games. At the same time good arguments can be made for keeping McGhee as we are currently sitting in the top 6.

I have to agree, everytime we win/lose there seems to be a bit of one upmanship going on. By all means we should all have an opinion over the manager but at the end of the day we are fans. Present an argument rather than just making sarcy comments against fellow fans. We all want the team to do well. The thing is just because we won last night doesn't mean McGhee is doing an amazing job, our form recently is absolutely dreadful and we are coming into a hard run of games. At the same time good arguments can be made for keeping McGhee as we are currently sitting in the top 6.

The stats don't seem to back-up the statements being thrown about regarding our form though... we appear to be in a solid mid-table position in that regard and in the league at present, which is more or less what you'd expect.

You can argue whether or not there is any entertainment being provided but I think this is the case for the majority of teams in the league.

A 12 team league with as little between 7 or 8 teams is always going to lead to teams focusing on grinding out results to avoid relegation, rather than worrying about entertainment and/or developing players, but that's another issue altogether!

Whatever you think of Mark McGhee as a person, we were heading for relegation when he arrived and we finished in the top 6. He's a good manager that seems to be able to get results under pressure.

This season has been disappointing so far, the signings have been a bit of a mixed bag with a few not impressing and injuries to Mchugh and Lucas, but on our day we are a good team and with a bit of luck we could play the same team twice in a row and maybe string a run together. I doubt anyone below us in the league has won more than 2 on the bounce.

The stats don't seem to back-up the statements being thrown about regarding our form though... we appear to be in a solid mid-table position in that regard and in the league at present, which is more or less what you'd expect.

You can argue whether or not there is any entertainment being provided but I think this is the case for the majority of teams in the league.

A 12 team league with as little between 7 or 8 teams is always going to lead to teams focusing on grinding out results to avoid relegation, rather than worrying about entertainment and/or developing players, but that's another issue altogether!

We have won 3 games since November. Our mid-table position is a reflection of how equally shite everyone else has been, not a reflection of how well we have done. Regardless of what side of the McGhee argument you are, denying our form has been terrible is simply just not true.

We have won 3 games since November. Our mid-table position is a reflection of how equally shite everyone else has been, not a reflection of how well we have done. Regardless of what side of the McGhee argument you are, denying our form has been terrible is simply just not true.

Unless we win every single game, then our league position will always be a reflection of how well/shite other teams have done.

Of the 11 league games following our 4-1 win against Ross County at the end of October, we've won 3 and lost 5, gaining 12 points. Not the greatest form, I'm sure everyone will agree, but we're sitting in 6th position. So something has gone well in the first part of the season to allow us to have a bit of a 'slump'.

I've had a look at the form of others in the same time period. Of those below us;

Partick Thistle - 2 wins & 4 defeats from 11 games - 11 points.

Ross County - 3 wins & 4 defeats from 11 games - 13 points.

Kilmarnock - 2 wins & 4 defeats from 10 games - 10 points.

Dundee - 4 wins & 5 defeats from 10 games - 13 points.

Hamilton - 1 win & 5 defeats from 12 games - 9 points.

Inverness - 0 wins & 8 defeats from 11 games - 3 points.

Taking away Inverness, there's very little between the sides. As has been said, our main focus this season is making sure we're in the division next season. So, to be top of the pile of the other seven after 22 games, and IMO we've improved our squad from the 1st to 31st January, we're doing ok. Could we be better? Of course, but you can't have it all.

• Like 4

We've played 11 league games since the start of November, winning 3, drawing 3 and losing 5.

The 5 losses have come against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee. I'd argue only the Dundee game is one where we would have been expected to get any points from, even then it was away from home. During that spell we've also drawn away at St Johnstone (not to be sniffed at given our record up there) and picked up a point at Accies after playing over an hour with 10 men.

While it's far from outstanding, I'd argue saying our form *is* terrible is simply not true and we've generally picked up points in games where we have been expected to.

We've played 11 league games since the start of November, winning 3, drawing 3 and losing 5.

The 5 losses have come against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee. I'd argue only the Dundee game is one where we would have been expected to get any points from, even then it was away from home. During that spell we've also drawn away at St Johnstone (not to be sniffed at given our record up there) and picked up a point at Accies after playing over an hour with 10 men.

While it's far from outstanding, I'd argue saying our form *is* terrible is simply not true and we've generally picked up points in games where we have been expected to.

Sums it up for me. We're picking up points against the teams we should be at the moment and I'll settle for that up to the end of the season.

Some of the negative tactics recently have annoyed me a bit (both Sevco games especially) but I think saying our form is terrible is a bit over the top... 'bang average' would sum it up better for me.