Mcghee Out?

postiejim

I am pretty sure our next manager is already at the club, so I don't see how that would change our fortunes drastically, we're going to be a mid-to-bottom of the table team for a while.

I agree that he's probably good enough to keep us up but its very unlikely that our next manager is at the club. I'm not sure Stephen Craigan would want the job and its far too early for Faddy. Scott Leitch - he's doing a damn good job at the academy?

I pretty much agree with everything Desp & O'neils 40 yarder have said.

We won't see him sacked or he won't resign, his contract will run out and we will see what happens then...

I agree with that aswell.

He won't be sacked and he won't resign.

The same players, give or take, will start every week and the only other question is are we going straight down or via the play offs?

One final point, and its pretty hypothetical but pretty valid in my opinion...if Craigan for example had been presiding over the current season, with a similar projected outcome (ie finishing somewhere between 10th and 7th), would he be under the same amount of pressure and getting the same amount of vitriol chucked in his direction? A rhetorical question no doubt, but I think we all no the answer and the reason for that...

It's not just the results with McGhee it's the fact that he seems to have lost plot and is constantly in stupid disputes with fans, officials and rival coaches. When he started drivelling about the Liverpool job, consulting a lawyer about being sent to the stand or something like needlessly talking about Rangers maybe making the top six it suggests (putting it kindly) that he has lost a sense of perspective.

There are also questions about his commitment to the club and his ability to bring in the players we need in the Summer.

It's not just the results with McGhee it's the fact that he seems to have lost plot and is constantly in stupid disputes with fans, officials and rival coaches. When he started drivelling about the Liverpool job, consulting a lawyer about being sent to the stand or something like needlessly talking about Rangers maybe making the top six it suggests (putting it kindly) that he has lost a sense of perspective.

There are also questions about his commitment to the club and his ability to bring in the players we need in the Summer.

I actually like that fact he's a bit daft when it comes to the pressers and his antics in the stands last night. Even if it's only cos I enjoy the frothing at the mouth of folk on twitter and such.

I am now getting sick of the constant shite being served up.

It's very tight down there I don't see why we couldn't make the top 6 if* we perform against the other diddies as we have & I don't understand the questioning of his commitment if he has already said he wants to be here next year.

A lot of the fans don't want him here next year, I am leaning that way myself and the only reason I defo don't want him gone is due to the fear I am getting everytime someone mentions St Mirren. Do the club want him here next year? He has 3 months to convince them I think.

*BIG if I know

Edited by Busta Nut

Think McGhee's plan should be to get through the Celtic game with damage limitation and look to finish up to the split as strongly as possible. Trips to Aberdeen & Rangers aside, every game after Saturday is winnable.

There is a real dislike for McGhee at the moment, and rightly so, but given our form against the teams around us and the number of games against those teams left (AND the fact we are 1 point behind 6th), I'm going to be bold and say that we're more likely to make top six than we are to get relegated...

I agree with that aswell.

He won't be sacked and he won't resign.

The same players, give or take, will start every week and the only other question is are we going straight down or via the play offs?

Time to think about putting him on gardening leave then. He is losing the plot and not just with this incident at Aberdeen but many interviews that seem like he is detached from reality.

Interesting you mention backbone. Do we actually have anyone in that dressing room that is a leader? McHugh maybe?

It's symptomatic of a bad run that fans will look at every aspect of the club and leadership is one which I think we are ill-placed to judge.

Why McHugh? Because he's been decent and gets stuck in? I think you might be mistaking playing well with leadership. Let's look at who we have in the starting eleven each week -

Lasley - Chosen as club captain by multiple managers. Mcmanus - former Scotland captain. McDonald - total mouthpiece and I imagine both a nightmare and a joy to play alongside. Pearo - speaks with intelligence and gets stuck in. Moult - an almost permanent inspiration. Even Cadden showed leadership beyond his years throughout his time in the u20's and isn't afraid to speak his mind on the pitch in the senior squad.

Is McHugh a leader? I have no idea. You can't judge just that kind of thing based on 90 minutes every second Saturday. Most of the influence is done on the training ground, outside the club and before and after games. That's the stuff the fans don't see however based on the histories of half our first team, I'd be very surprised if there was any leadership void.

We really stink at adapting when we have a couple of key players missing. For all the experience in the side, we seem incapable of changing our tactics and being successful.

Part of the blame for that lies with our players, and part lies with McGhee for not recognizing their limitations. We seem to get on much better if we swap like for like with missing players, rather than play our strongest 11 in different positions.

The harsh reality is, however, that we are a slightly below average SPFL team playing slightly below average. Our goal has become to just stay up, and I think we will manage that. I'm still somewhat hopeful that the younger players were are blooding at the club and on loan will improve our quality next season.

Not just McGhee, there's a massive Bumper Buggar-Off Bananza required at FP. MFC is currently known as Motherwell Football Capitulators round these parts, and unless the Board Room is swept of its incompetent suits, the Coaching team exfoliated of its deadwood and the multitude of dross driven from the playing squad all those empty seats in the East Stand will simply multiply.

• Like 1

Ive just watched the clip of McGhee being taken to the stand by the police on the BBC news. Quite frankly, his attitude looked embarrassing. Granted he was being taunted by the Dons fans, however, hes got to be able to handle that much better. I despair.

I will tell you what - if my team was being humped and I was being called a fuckin clown. I probably would lose the plot.

All this he is a Manager and should know better.

I am in a clear minority on here but I like McGhee - always have. I base my feelings on him on how he has done with the team and his track record is VERY decent despite what people on here like to think.

That said I am questioning this season, but he and we have been dealt a bigger barrow load of shit than normal. With shit fixture list, shit cup draws and shit refereeing decisions.

If he keeps us in and around the top 6 I would be happy if he stayed. If we continue the firm of last 2-3 fixtures against teams in bottom 6 - then I would agree we need to start over with a new Manager and clean slate.

• Like 3

I will tell you what - if my team was being humped and I was being called a fuckin clown. I probably would lose the plot.

All this he is a Manager and should know better.

I am in a clear minority on here but I like McGhee - always have. I base my feelings on him on how he has done with the team and his track record is VERY decent despite what people on here like to think.

That said I am questioning this season, but he and we have been dealt a bigger barrow load of shit than normal. With shit fixture list, shit cup draws and shit refereeing decisions.

If he keeps us in and around the top 6 I would be happy if he stayed. If we continue the firm of last 2-3 fixtures against teams in bottom 6 - then I would agree we need to start over with a new Manager and clean slate.

I agree with a lot of that.

He's being unfairly ridiculed over what seems a natural (in fact quite reasonable) reaction to some trumpet sticking a camera phone in his face and calling him a f'ing clown.

I'd say I tolerate McGhee because of the results he gets rather than like having him as a manager.

He has been dealt a pretty shitty hand as you say, with injuries, suspensions, refs, etc.

But

His signings have been poor (or injured), and I have to question the contracts and lack of succession plan for Lasley, Hammell, McManus....

I think Pearson will strengthen us, but it's another player from that crowd of 30 something's who all have their best days behind them and I wonder if they are now holding the club back.

• Like 1

I think given the fact that just before the break we were all delighted with the team. Sitting 6th, on the back of a few half decent games. Since December 3rd we have lost to Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts. Only 1 of those games was an embarrassing result. I mean, it's not our fault that the best teams in the league have all hit form, and playing against us week in and week out. Even this weekend we play Celtic again!

Last night has definitely put a huge dampener on the rest of the season BUT considering our fixtures, and the results we have had in the games in between, we should not be spitting the dummy.

What we have left?

Dundee, St J, Killie, Patrick, Hamilton and Caley

Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen

If we take 12-15 points from these games then I can see McGhees job safe until next year. I'd be okay with 9 if we avoid relegation playoffs.

• Like 1

Not just McGhee, there's a massive Bumper Buggar-Off Bananza required at FP. MFC is currently known as Motherwell Football Capitulators round these parts, and unless the Board Room is swept of its incompetent suits, the Coaching team exfoliated of its deadwood and the multitude of dross driven from the playing squad all those empty seats in the East Stand will simply multiply.

I read that like you were Rick from "The Young Ones"

I can't help but feel that if folk hadn't heard of McGhee a few months ago, he'd be decried as an IMPOSTOR and a FRAUD.

But hey ho, just my thought.

I think some folk think that the Premier League in Scotland is comparable to...well...some actual leagues.

We have to get a manager folk have heard of. We can't scout outwith the 12 teams or so, in the same way as we sign players outwith the grim reality of the premier league and automatically they are haddocks, as everyone must be judged before a game.

Completely agree with this almost to the word...

McGhee has been on an absolute hiding to nothing since he took over, far too many people within our support don't have it in them to accept him back after what went on in the final months of his last tenure. That said, complete capitulations against a half-decent Aberdeen side can't really be defended...

We miss McDonald in such a huge way, that it really worries me for next season, he's easily our most important player...when he isn't playing we completely change our formation and our desire to attack, we generally sit back, and invite pressure onto a creaky defence, with a midfield that has been powderpuff since Steve Jennings played for us, and a goalkeeper who just won't command his box. From that respect, i just don't get McGhees tactics when McDonald isn't available.

What I will say is that, it is public knowledge that we budget for 10th position in the league, which is completely responsible from a financial respect...but as such, surely McGhees remit then is simply to keep us above that drop zone? I don't think there is any prospect of us being relegated, maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I honestly think we have been hindered this season, with injuries, the amount of new players being brought in taking time to adjust (or not), the suspensions we've had recently, the stop/start nature of the campaign and I firmly believe that once we get our strongest team (McHugh will make a big difference along with McDonald) on the park we'll go on a semi-decent run over the next few weeks...the Tim game apart I'd imagine.

Added to his remit, seems to be the 'bringing in players for fuck all and punting them for £2,000,000' aspect which so far he seems to be achieving. All of this amid a back drop of the uncertainty over Hutchison and the Well Society...I honestly think he has had one cunt of a job to deal with this year...and yet before last night, we were 1 point away from being top6.

Again, another negative point is the Dads Army we seem to have managed to collect ourselves, and while I agree with the thought that these boys are over the hill, Lasley and Hammell in particular, I can sort of see why he kept them on...it goes back to that massive turnover of player we seem to see every season and maybe he was looking to try and integrate new (and our own younger) players this season and next whilst phasing these guys out, as per his remit. McManus, for all his faults has been pretty consistent this season and while I'm not sure there was any point giving Faddy a players contract, I highly doubt that it would have had any effect on how much we paid him as Assistant Manager...so fail to see the Taxi Drivers point here.

I fully agree with Desp, the rot that set in upon his appointment will never go away, no matter what he does between now and the time he leaves us...people are far too entrenched in the view that 'hes an absolute prick/wank/tosser/etc' and have been since day one, some even seem to be taking great delight in his/our misery, which I find strange and rather sad. At the end of the season, I think it would be in everybodys best interests to go our separate ways, thank him for keeping us up and await the next guy who will no doubt have us scrambling about in a similar position next season. One thing, I can't fully understand is the man-love and clamour for Stephen Craigan to be our manager, yes, he's done a really good job with the youths, but thats a pressure free role, where he pretty much gets handed a squad that he then coaches and gets the best out of them that he can. Hes never managed at any other level and I just get the feeling that people want him in because he is supposedly a Motherwell guy.

One final point, and its pretty hypothetical but pretty valid in my opinion...if Craigan for example had been presiding over the current season, with a similar projected outcome (ie finishing somewhere between 10th and 7th), would he be under the same amount of pressure and getting the same amount of vitriol chucked in his direction? A rhetorical question no doubt, but I think we all no the answer and the reason for that...

Good post and I agree with it all, I'm not saying the other night was acceptable but I still think McGhee is doing a decent job. A lot has been made of the 2 wins in 12 games but if you look at these games individually it changes.

Against Accies we are all over them looking only a matter of time to we make the breakthrough, then Lucas has a rush of blood to the head gets sent off and the game changes. We gain a valuable point in the end and McGhee gets a lot of praise in the way he managed the substitutions and kept us competitive with only 10 men.

Rangers in the cup we nearly came away with a good result in the end he was let down inexplicably by one of his most experienced players.

Rangers in the cup, we started better team when they were reduced to 10 men we dominated, thenour most influential player is softly sent off and game changed. We could argue that he then becomes too defensive in his tactics but also he is probably aware defensively we are weak but we do have a couple of players that maybe able to fashion goals from very little so I can understand the idea of sitting back being hard to break down and hoping on a counter. Unfortunately I don't think we have the players to do that.

It's crucial we manage to go to Parkhead and not concede any more than 3 or 4. After that a win against Dundee is important. If you remember at this stage last season we went to Tyncastle and got humped we then lost midweek to Partick to slip into bottom 2 and it was looking ominous, yet there was no panicking, and in a much more critical position and we eventually found form and we made it into top 6 in what was a successful season.

With a full squad we are a better team than Accies, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Ross County and Dundee win the games against them and hopefully mid-table obscurity beckons again.

At the end of the season MM will probably move on not because of failure but more because he will never win over large sections of our support and a parting of the ways is possibly the best scenario. Hopefully we don't live to regret it ala St Mirren.

If you're taking bets on that, I'll have twenty quid on not going straight down or being in the play-offs.

I'll take some of that as well. £20 to whatever charity you'd prefer, Milo, should we go down.

I was speaking to one of McGhees fellow Premier League managers yesterday, who after having a wee chuckle at the video of McGhee 'losing the plot', went on to slate the 4th officials...in the way that they speak to management and Club staff, getting involved in stuff thats really not necessary, usually not understanding the situations that arise around the technical area and pretty much being paid highly for doing next to fuck all of any importance.

He also went on to say (and I hope he wasn't just trying to make me feel better), that in his belief that Motherwell are in a relatively strong position in the league in terms of avoiding relegation...three of his quotes were, 'look at the run of games he's come through recently, they're all out the road now' (obviously after the Celtic game), 'they generally get good results against the teams around them, which is what matters' and 'when they get their full team on the pitch, they are much stronger than the likes of Accies and Inverness'.

Now, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as much as this guy, but for me it all rings true...I have virtually no doubt that we'll be competing in the Premier League next year. Whether thats enough to quell the baying mob I highly doubt, but it does for me this season.

• Like 6

I'll take some of that as well. £20 to whatever charity you'd prefer, Milo, should we go down.

I offered a lad on Faceboook, who has been gibbering on about organising protests and the like against McGhee, a £50 charity bet yesterday that we wouldnt be relegated. I'm still waiting on the response.

Social media is a great thing, but by fuck it allows some absolute numbskulls the ability to vent their spleen all too readily...'if we get relegated, thats the end of MFC as we know it' according to some

• Like 2