Mcghee Out?

postiejim

To be honest, I really don't think anyone should be surprised by the way this is going. Look at Mcghee's record in management. Good start, a season and a half later, he's struggling. When he arrived here the first time, he was all fresh and full of sports science and tactics (probably due to being out the game for a while). Great season then the slippery slope down hill and pissed a lot of fans off with his apparent whoring and giving off an aura of being too big for the job. His spell at Aberdeen left them arguably as shite as we are now. People seem to think he's a class manager cause he's managed a few teams bigger than us, but all that gives him is a record of failing at bigger clubs than us.

I'll be the first to admit that he exceeded expectations last year. Keeping us safely up was my expectation and we did better than that, but it looks like the players didn't train pre-season and his signings have been dire. We pay to bring in guys like Frear while leaving Ainsworth in the stand, we take players on loan who look like they've never played professional football before and we're heading for the split and still don't know our best line up or formation with the players we have. Smacks to me of a guy who's failing (again) but still believes he should be managing somewhere bigger. In my opinion. the guys career is over and I just hope he doesn't get the opportunity to finish us off with it.

Excellent post.

Agree wholeheartedly with this.

When McGhee was re-appointed my main concern was not how he left us the first time round, but that he had been a disaster and done nothing since.

My argument for McLeish and Davies is down to the level they have been at before and their experience of Scottish football. They went on to do "relatively" Well at a higher level

Mcghee left to do worse and we took him back

Why wouldn't we take someone back who went on and achieved in management when they left the club ?

My argument for McLeish and Davies is down to the level they have been at before and their experience of Scottish football. They went on to do "relatively" Well at a higher level

Mcghee left to do worse and we took him back

Why wouldn't we take someone back who went on and achieved in management when they left the club ?

they done relatively well, at a higher level, spending relative millions ££££ on large squads

Wasnt a huge fan of McGhee coming back but was willing to give him a chance and after last season genuinely felt he would turn it around this season. I reasoned that he was an experienced manager who had been reasonably successful and we were unlikely to get anyone better. Whilst I still think the last part is true I no longer think he has it in him to keep us up. He has to go if only to see if someone else can get anymore out of the squad. Unfortunately I fear bringing a new manager in and offering a new contract isnt going to be financially viable in long term due to the fact that if we fail and get relegated we will have to re-assess our business plan which wont include paying a manager premiership wages. With that in mind Id give the job to Craigan in the interim with Robinson as assistant (sorry but I just dont see Robinson getting a reaction out of this squad). Crags would have the support of the fans. He has the respect of the senior pros and he is tough enough to give the younger ones the boot up the arse some of them need. Once we know what league we are playing in next season we can look at it again.

Prior to Saturday's match, I was in the give him more time camp. After another embarrassing display, he has to go. How much would it cost to pay up his contract to the end of the season? £10-15k? (I am working on the assumption that he will earn roughly £50-60k a year, but could be way off). Surely that is a figure that we can gamble on? I just don't see us staying up with McGhee at the helm.

If he does manage to limp on until the end of May, then he should be away at the end of the season. If we manage to stay up and his contract is renewed then I don't see a massive uptake on season tickets next season as the support are at the point of no return with him.

As for his replacement, I would love to say Simo Valakari. He recently left his side due to a fall out with the owner, but has an impressive track record at that level. My only worry would be that people would be calling for him to be sacked in the summer, if we were to be relegated. Whoever comes into replace McGhee (we aint at the replacing stage yet...) has to be given time.

I've never been McGhee's biggest fan but I was content to keep him at the club prior to Pittodrie. The defeat up there was the turning point for me. The scenes yesterday confirmed that his time is up - once those sorts of chants and protests begin, you just don't come back from that.

I would like to think we would be considering removing him from his position but I tend to agree that it might not be likely until the summer.

As a replacement, I tend to agree with Mitch. I was a fan of the idea of bringing in Simo when we instead gave it to McGhee. Now that Simo has left his Finnish club and is available without compensation having to be paid, I would be more than happy for us to be looking at bringing him in soon.

He has to go immediately imo for various reasons none more so than his pre and post match interviews being embarrassing .He gets asked same question every week what is injury update and he splutters through it looking to his left for guidance in most occasions . Now if u don't know 2 days before every game who is fit or not fit as case may be then that once again imo shows he has not got a blue about what's going on at club . I actually wonder how long he's actually there during week as seems to know nothing . To then lose 5 goals in a half which is incidentally 1st time in 17 years a top flight club has lost 5 goals in 1st half and make no changes in personnel or tactics at half time beggars belief . He is so stubborn as once again imo does not change things as sees that as proving he was wrong in 1st place and to say after game will go with same again next week shows that he still won't admit he got it wrong .I just hope the club act before it's too late and get rid surely won't cost that much as only 3 months left in contract .

Simo Valakari? Based on what?

Fuck all...

For what its worth, I've been very much in the 'give him to the end of the season, and go our seperate ways then' camp, as I firmly believed that there was no realistic threat of relegation and that we are a better team than our position suggests, and part of me still feels that way.

Saturday, however, was an utter embarassment, and the players should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. There aren't many in that starting line-up that I'd be breaking my neck to re-sign for next season and to that effect, the buck must stop with McGhee as he either signed them, or has had ample opportunity to replace them.

I think his position is untenable now, the reaction during the game from the fans and the protests after, no matter how sparse, have left the manager and the Club in a no-win situation from now on...I said, a few weeks back that the atmosphere around Fir Park towards McGhee from the moment we appointed him has been toxic, but it was ramped up a few levels on Saturday and it may well be in everyones best interests to pay him his 3 months wages and let someone else make a fist of keeping us in the division with a relatively clean slate.

What worries me is that, we are now in an incredibly critical period of the season and we are stuck with the players that have put us in this mess...I don't think anyone on the current staff has the skill set required to dig us out of the shite, Craigan, Faddy, Lasley are all to inexperienced for me, and Robinson has just been sacked by Oldham as they are in their own relegation mire.

Fuck all...

I wouldn't necessarily say fuck all, his track record in management at a decent level so far has been good. I'm not going to lie and pretend there isn't obviously the added "former player bias" involved, but it's far from the only reason. He's a young manager who has connections with the club, would love to take the job, and boasts a good track record and some really good success in his short managerial career so far. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but from the candidates named last time around I would be happy with him.

That said, the football landscape is entirely different now than it was when we appointed McGhee, so there will no doubt be other names linked this time around that would be worth considering. I'd also be more than happy to be considering moving for Jim Duffy given the great job he's done at Morton, which isn't a name I thought I'd be touting a few years back.

Agree with all you say above O'Neills40yarder (you and I have been on the same page with this matter for a while now).

I'm baffled with the Simo shout. If he hadn't played for Motherwell 20 years ago, would people really be shouting for a Finnish title winning manager, who's just left his role?

Jay - I'm not up to date on all things Finnish football. What's Simo's track record?

Even after the Aberdeen game, I was confident McGhee would stay until the summer and I thought that would be the time to go our separate ways. However, Saturday was unforgivable. I'm not one who boos, or shouts and screams at players/the manager. I sat there for the entire 90 mins just shaking my head. It's surely impossible for a manager to survive that performance. Surely.

I'm baffled with the Simo shout. If he hadn't played for Motherwell 20 years ago, would people really be shouting for a Finnish title winning manager, who's just left his role?

Jay - I'm not up to date on all things Finnish football. What's Simo's track record?

No, I have no doubt you're right that if he hadn't played for Motherwell folk probably wouldn't be shouting for a Finnish title winning manager, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing or a reason to dismiss his credentials. It's not as though we're talking about giving it to Faddy purely because he's a 'Well legend, unlike someone like that Simo has experienced success as a manager. The fact he is a former-player is an ingredient when folk tout him - I think anyone who claims otherwise is at it - but I don't really have an issue with that. I also think it's worth remembering that people are naming him because he applied for the job last time around too.

He's a highly rated manager in Finland who only left the club because of a breakdown in relationship with the chairman regarding control over transfers. He has former experience as a youth coach so has worked with younger players, and has won the league title, League Cup, and Finnish Cup at SJK. I'm not suggesting that it's the best track record going, or he has achieved stunning world success winning trophies in Finland, and there very well might be candidates for the job with a far greater wealth of achievements and experience who I might prefer when McGhee moves on and names start being linked, but I do think what he's achieved so far in his short career makes him a decent enough candidate.

Fair enough, like I said I know hee-haw about Finnish football and what Simo Valakari has been up to since he left us two decades ago. In your earlier post, you said "He's a young manager who has connections with the club, would love to take the job, and boasts a good track record and some really good success in his short managerial career so far. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea"

Apart from the "connections with the club", you could have written that for Ian Baraclough prior to him getting our job. I think with the catastrophic failure of young, hungry managers like Gannon and Baraclough in the last decade, we're not going down the untried, inexperienced in Scottish football route this time. I think that's why we went for a McGhee type last time out. Yes, it's pretty much unraveled now, but it had the desired effect last season.

If McGhee is binned in the coming days, I'm pretty certain it'll be another experienced manager to come in. It's far too big a gamble to do otherwise, IMO.

• Like 1

Winning the Finnish League is akin to winning the Irish League...is Stephen Kenny available?

I'm being slightly facetious and obtuse, of course I am, but for me Valakari would be a risk that I don't think we should be looking at currently.

Jim Duffy, or Peter Houston, would hold more appeal to me than someone like Valakari, purely because they are doing decent jobs here, have a wealth of experience of working on a shoe-string and have an understanding of the lower league market, that i think we should be tapping into for players. Unfortunately, these two might be out with our means given they currently hold a contract with other clubs.

I can understand it, but don't agree with it as he was perceived to be a hero and a fans favourite but thats not enough. I didn't like the way he left the club as I've written before. In answer to your question, no they wouldn't.

Fair enough, like I said I know hee-haw about Finnish football and what Simo Valakari has been up to since he left us two decades ago. In your earlier post, you said "He's a young manager who has connections with the club, would love to take the job, and boasts a good track record and some really good success in his short managerial career so far. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea"

Apart from the "connections with the club", you could have written that for Ian Baraclough prior to him getting our job. I think with the catastrophic failure of young, hungry managers like Gannon and Baraclough in the last decade, we're not going down the untried, inexperienced in Scottish football route this time. I think that's why we went for a McGhee type last time out. Yes, it's pretty much unraveled now, but it had the desired effect last season.

If McGhee is binned in the coming days, I'm pretty certain it'll be another experienced manager to come in. It's far too big a gamble to do otherwise, IMO.

In the midst of my response, Baraclough did spring to mind sadly... :lol:

In an ideal world where we could give a young manager time, I think Simo could work out to be a good appointment. However, as you rightly say, we're in a situation where a new gaffer isn't going to have the time or the resources to have a proper crack at things in the long-term, without being able to sort out the short-term first. As I said, there'll undoubtedly be candidates mentioned who I think are better placed for the job than Simo - Jim Duffy is certainly one although I'm not sure if he's even at a stage in his managerial career now where he'd be particularly bothered about leaving Morton for Motherwell.

It's nice to discuss who the new manager could be though, as it makes you momentarily forget that McGhee is still at Fir Park...