Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Heart Of Midlothian Sat 4 Feb 12:15

Yabba's Turd

We were terrible with 3 at the back, and ainsworth was anonymous as a striker. It wasn't a red, but with 3 such decisions in short succession we probably need to reassess how we go in to some of these challenges.

We looked a better team with 4 in the midfield, as cadden was suddenly more effective. hopefully we set up more to our strengths in the future rather than trying to be too clever.

Is hammel pretty much done now?

• Like 1

Just one of those periods when things seem to be going against us a bit.

Didn't look like a red card to me but whether it was or it wasn't Andrew Dallas was absolute garbage today. Where else but Scotland would the former Referee's development officers son get a gig as a top level referee? Especially one as incompetent as Dallas Jnr.

Hearts 1st goal was also a huge fluke which is a bit hard to take.

Hearts dominated possession but I didn't think they had really threatened us too much up to that point. We looked fairly comfortable and were very much in the game at 11 v 11 and 0-0. Didn't deserve to be ahead but I thought we were good for a point at that stage.

After the goal we are obviously going to have to stretch the game and run the risk of being caught on the break which is exactly what happened.

So we lose one of our better players to suspension and go into the next match weakened. Hopefully our luck changes a bit and we can turn it around and we don't get into a rut that affects us beyond this tough run of fixtures.

This season seems to be like the movie Groundhog Day. Same outcomes time after time.

When we look like we r in a position to do something we self destruct.

The red card almost identical to Skippy - could argue it was a yellow but you could equally argue a red. Sadly both refs thought straight away a red.

Is Lasley unfortunate or slow. Probably both but we sure have no luck at the moment.

Compare two tackles this week..

Jack Rodwell v Spurs , no attempt to play the ball , hacks down man , result booking

Carl McHugh v Hearts , plays ball , result sending off

Fans should think the next time they criticise a player for not tackling , it's becoming a non contact sport

At one time McHughs tackle wouldn't have even been a foul.

• Like 2

Compare two tackles this week..

Jack Rodwell v Spurs , no attempt to play the ball , hacks down man , result booking

Carl McHugh v Hearts , plays ball , result sending off

Fans should think the next time they criticise a player for not tackling , it's becoming a non contact sport

At one time McHughs tackle wouldn't have even been a foul.

Exactly imagine the stick Skippy last week and mchugh today would have got if they hadn't attempted to win the ball.

As i said on another thread with the players available today the first 50 odd minutes was the best we could have hoped for. We were creating some chances and keeping them relatively quiet.

Some people have been ready to write Lasley off but the difference between his performance today and Clay last week was huge. Lasley must have been in double figures for winning the ball back and beyond that he was pressuring there midfield. Last week the Rangers midfield knocked the ball about like a training session and we were miles of them. Today 10 vs 11 was more competitive than the second half last week.

Apparently Hearts last away win was v......us!

Not sure of the point I'm making.

EDIT. I suppose the point I'm making is Hearts have dropped points all over the place to every single team in the league, including EVERY bottom half team but are now 9 points to the good and 9-1 up on aggregate v us this season!

Yes we can moan about the red card but in 3 games v them we should've taken at least a point considering all our peers have.

Still top 6 somehow.

If we can keep 11 men on the park then we should have enough in the existing squad to be safe. We cannot seem to beat top 5 sides but have a decent enough record v the teams around about us.

Aberdeen is a free game and Celtic a tough fixture. But all the other sides around still have to play Celtic and Hearts for that matter, who if they play like today will probably beat most bottom 6 sides.

That was a frustrating one. Never in a million years did Hearts merit a three goal winning margin.

Another slightly unconventional selection from McGhee with Ainsworth up front and Hammell further forward on the left but one that was proving reasonably solid if not spectacular. I didn't think there was much in it in the first half and the last 10 minutes certainly gave cause for optimism for the second.

I'm sure the game changing couple of minutes has already been discussed at length before my post but the sending off at first glance seemed incredible. It barely even appeared a foul far less a booking, and as for a red!?!?!?! Just baffling. And of course to compound matters for the second time this season Hearts score against us at Fir Park aided massively by a deflection.

The heartening thing for me was that for about the next twenty minutes I thought we competed well and looked decent, Cadden down the right in particular. If I had to make a criticism it would be a failure to speculate with some shots from distance rather than trying to find that perfect pass. Hearts goal for one illustrated the potential reward for having a pop.

The killer second and their further goal gave the scoreline a gloss that I really don't believe Hearts merited. Before the red the minimum I thought we were looking at was a point so to end up with that outcome is a right sore one.

• Like 1

One up can only work if someone is playing for a team that's not Motherwell.

I'm sure we must have had success with it over the years, but I'm struggling to think of a specific example.

Today's performance won't have made it any easier for you then. It still didn't work.

Winning the ball makes he haw difference, I thought everyone knew that by now? Even making contact doesn't matter, if you're reckless and out of control the ref has every right to send you off. It's actually the one thing I thought Dallas got right.

The thing that annoys me is the inconsistency by referees (even in the same game) in applying the rules. Case in point the Kiernan challenge on Hammell a fortnight ago. Every bit as reckless and out of control as those that saw red.