Injuries

CoF

Is it just me or are we far more injury prone this season? Feels like Hammell and Mcmanus' injuries today confirmed something I'd been thinking for a wee while.

Of the regulars in and around the starting eleven I think only Clay, Tait, Heneghan and Samson are the only ones not to have missed games through injury.

At some point this season we've lost the following from the first team:

Hammell

Cadden

Lasley

Moult

McHugh

McDonald

Lucas

Mcmanus

and from the squad:

Chalmers

Blythe

Kennedy

McMillan

MacLean

Is that normal? I know there are some unavoidable individual circumstances in there, however frequent injuries always point towards issues with training, strength and conditioning which is something we know McGhee would normally get spot on.

Is it just me or are we far more injury prone this season? Feels like Hammell and Mcmanus' injuries today confirmed something I'd been thinking for a wee while.

Of the regulars in and around the starting eleven I think only Clay, Tait, Heneghan and Samson are the only ones not to have missed games through injury.

At some point this season we've lost the following from the first team:

Hammell

Cadden

Lasley

Moult

McHugh

McDonald

Lucas

Mcmanus

and from the squad:

Chalmers

Blythe

Kennedy

McMillan

MacLean

Is that normal? I know there are some unavoidable individual circumstances in there, however frequent injuries always point towards issues with training, strength and conditioning which is something we know McGhee would normally get spot on.

I don't think you can really just group "injuries" into one catch-all you really need to look at what types of injuries they are.

Knocks and serious injury ie: McHugh's concussion, MacLean's broken toe & dislocated shoulder (I think that's what it was?), Lasley's knee injury in the Aberdeen game etc are pretty much unavoidable. There's not a lot that anyone can do about those it's part an parcel with a contact sport. While Kennedy's illness and subsequent weight loss at the start of the season would probably be in the same category, I've no idea what the script is with his hip injury though.

Moult's absence following his operation was a known. Chalmers was out with a similar issue I think but he seems to have missed a fair chunk of both seasons he's been at the club through injury.

Strains and pulls are the ones that probably you need to start questioning as to what the cause is it's a result of players not warming up properly etc or I suppose in the case of Hammell recurrent injury may simply be an age/recovery thing.

Looking back at McManus' appearances for the club he's hardly missed any games through injury. I think it was something mental like 5 games that he'd missed.

Not really sure if our record is due to anything specific.

What does amuse me is that McGhee still has a reputation for getting players well conditioned on the basis of his first preseason with us and the fact that McGarry and Paterson looked fit.

3ven that McGhee did, on occasions, start off matches at 100 mph and tire badly later in games. And definitely not sure you can see we look well conditioned this season. Whether that has anything to do with injuries, I'm not sure. Particularly given the fact that one of the players who seems to fade out of games the worst had never been injured all season...

What does amuse me is that McGhee still has a reputation for getting players well conditioned on the basis of his first preseason with us and the fact that McGarry and Paterson looked fit.

Yeah, but we've got a 'fitness coach' for that now.

I don't think you can really just group "injuries" into one catch-all you really need to look at what types of injuries they are.

Knocks and serious injury ie: McHugh's concussion, MacLean's broken toe & dislocated shoulder (I think that's what it was?), Lasley's knee injury in the Aberdeen game etc are pretty much unavoidable. There's not a lot that anyone can do about those it's part an parcel with a contact sport. While Kennedy's illness and subsequent weight loss at the start of the season would probably be in the same category, I've no idea what the script is with his hip injury though.....Moult's absence following his operation was a known. Chalmers was out with a similar issue I think but he seems to have missed a fair chunk of both seasons he's been at the club through injury....Strains and pulls are the ones that probably you need to start questioning...

Just what Ian Barraclough said. You can't avoid picking up "impact" injuries. However soft tissue injuries are, to some extent, avoidable and thats why a fitness coach was brought in. Poor training techniques or warming up can indeed exacerbate these kinds of knocks.

• 1 month later...

The word at signing zone is that Tait had an operation on Saturday and they are aiming to get him back ASAP and McManus is definitely out for the rest of the season.

My fear is that they will stick with "Zac attack" alongside Heneghan. If McHugh does go back to midfield then I have to say Pearo needs to go on the bench - Clay was way more involved than him at the weekend.

Part of me feels that McManus missing the rest of the season is a massive blow as we are not blessed with a lot of options at the back.

The other part of me feels that McManus was an ever present all season and we are in the mess we are in because of his contribution.

Part of me feels that McManus missing the rest of the season is a massive blow as we are not blessed with a lot of options at the back.

The other part of me feels that McManus was an ever present all season and we are in the mess we are in because of his contribution.

I think both are probably correct.

McManus has a positive influence on those around him (especially the younger players) and has obvious leadership skills.

He also seems to switch off for periods during a game, that can lead to us conceding.

I think his net contribution to the team is positive, but he always leaves me feeling a little short changed.

If you judge McManus on the merits of being a former Scotland captain, who was once sold for 1.5 million after winning three titles and playing in the last sixteen of the Champion's League, then he is absolutely a disappointment. That kind of signing should have been a total rock at the back for us.

However, if you judge him on the merits of being a 34 year old centre back playing with Motherwell, he has done/is doing a decent job. I've criticised him several times in his spell here but the vast majority of the time I've conceded we're better with him in the team than we would be without him.

• Like 1

I would be much happier with McManus alongside Heneghan for the remainder of the season than Jules. Since the Dundee game we have been lucky that McHugh has been able to play in the middle of defence but we have missed him sitting in front of the defence offering some protection. The loss of McManus has been a huge blow in my opinion.