Roger Hynd Rip

Modernist

A playing career that anyone would be proud of, too... Cup Winners' Cup Final appearance for Rangers against Bayern Munich, and an inductee to the Birmingham City hall of fame.

Relatively recent article about him here, on the Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice website, where he was a day service patient: https://www.princeandprincessofwaleshospice.org.uk/the-charity/hospice-stories/roger-hynd

I didn't realise his record was that good. I was only 5 when he became manager and went a lot with my dad. Rip Roger

His record as Motherwell manager wasn't exactly great to say the least (we were relegated that season winning only 5 games), but he seemed like a nice guy and always a shame to losr a bit of the club's history.

He was definitely the maestro of the draw!

When he first became manager he had a great run of games before the infamous pitch invasion fixture with Rangers. I am pretty sure we had not lost a goal under him until then. I think we then went out of the cup the following midweek in a rearranged tie against Queens Park. The wheels well and truly came off! Just another reason to hate and despise Rangers.

RIP and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

When he first became manager he had a great run of games before the infamous pitch invasion fixture with Rangers.

He had a belief that that we could beat anyone. I remember getting very excited after his first few games in charge as he convinced me (very briefly) that we were unbeatable. A character that’s for sure.

He had a belief that that we could beat anyone. I remember getting very excited after his first few games in charge as he convinced me (very briefly) that we were unbeatable. A character that’s for sure.

It must have been very brief, as we lost our home league opener to Partick Thistle that season!

As a young fan, though, it was a character building season. Sacked manager, Ally MacLeod putting the whole team up for sale, an 8 - 0 defeat at Pittodrie and relegation to 3 years in the First Division.

And I don't mean that sarcastically. That period of our history was part of my formative years as a fan that shaped my attitude to the game and the club - and some of my happiest times following 'Well. Roger Hynd was a significant part of that.

It must have been very brief, as we lost our home league opener to Partick Thistle that season!

As a young fan, though, it was a character building season. Sacked manager, Ally MacLeod putting the whole team up for sale, an 8 - 0 defeat at Pittodrie and relegation to 3 years in the First Division.

And I don't mean that sarcastically. That period of our history was part of my formative years as a fan that shaped my attitude to the game and the club - and some of my happiest times following 'Well. Roger Hynd was a significant part of that.

He didn't take over until part way through the season - around November/December time IIRC and we went on a run ending in that 5-3 Rangers reverse. Sure I've commented on this on a previous thread - need to have a look.

"Pre-season" training with the big man, first 6 weeks of PE at Garrion start of term. Boy did he punish us lol - however his plan was to show us the importance of warming up and getting our fitness up.

My uncle does blame him for losing Rangers the European Cuo winners cup in 1967 though. I believe he missed an open goal as well as Rangers having a goal chopped off. Bayern won the match 1-0 in extra time.