Scottish Premiership Kilmarnock V Motherwell Sat 4 Mar 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Changed to 3-5-2 at half time and looked much better for it. Killie still had us pressed back for spells but we didn't look like we were going to concede every time they swung a ball in.

McDonald went back into midfield and fought like a trooper. Though Bowman and Frear made a difference too, Bowman gave us a target man to aim at and Frear gave us something down the left.

Two of the crappiest, scrappiest goals you'll ever see but we'll take them!

In truth we were lucky to win the match but we got some luck that has been deserting us recently. Hopefully the confidence goes up and we can build on this result.

A very important result which will, hopefully, stop the rot. 3 huge points. Couldn't be happier tonight.

I'm not sure it was good luck Boyd missing the penalty. Surely its not much to ask that a professional player, and a striker at that, is able to hit the target from the penalty spot, although not necessarily score? If Killie failed to earn the draw then its really their own fault. However maybe thats splitting hairs.

For those of us not in Kilmarnock today, we'll be able to analyse the penalty on Alba later.

Has Lee MacCulloch been approached by our directors? :spiteful:

Great result! Really pleased with 3 points. We've got a decent record at Killie on plastic now? I can think of 4 2-1 victories off the top of my head recently. To cap off a great three points last minute winners from Swansea, Millwall and a last minute penalty miss from Kris Boyd got ma coupon up!

Great penalty takers work on very fine margins. Guys like Davie Cooper could take it wide into the inside side netting or high into the roof of the net.

Both impossible to save, but both very missable if a few inches out when you strike the ball.

The system was a disaster in the first half. Cadden and Pearson were constantly caught between two Killie players and McDonald was having to go side to side helping them. It should probably have been all over by half time given the chances Killie had but thankfully we got a chance to get back in the game.

The attention will probably go to the subs but changing from one holding to two changed the game. Two goals from set pieces which I think matches our total for the season before today. I thought it was a penalty but we're a long way away. The gamemanship probably put Boyd off and it was great to see us showing a bit of fight, I think they've finally had the wake up call that we were getting relegated unless we picked up.

Bowman had his best performance. Moult and McDonald should always be on but he showed he can contribute in a relegation scrap.

• Like 1

The system was a disaster in the first half. Cadden and Pearson were constantly caught between two Killie players and McDonald was having to go side to side helping them. It should probably have been all over by half time given the chances Killie had but thankfully we got a chance to get back in the game.

The attention will probably go to the subs but changing from one holding to two changed the game. Two goals from set pieces which I think matches our total for the season before today. I thought it was a penalty but we're a long way away. The gamemanship probably put Boyd off and it was great to see us showing a bit of fight, I think they've finally had the wake up call that we were getting relegated unless we picked up.

Bowman had his best performance. Moult and McDonald should always be on but he showed he can contribute in a relegation scrap.

So how exactly were we set up in the second half? You say two holding? I thought we had gone three at the back in the second half?

Did Cadden not provide an outball or was he outnumbered as usual?

The ball just wouldn't stick for him when he was running. I'd have dropped him for Ainsworth before the match because he's been off the boil recently but he did improve in the second half.

We seemed to keep 4 of the original 5 defenders in their place and Frear was given responsibility for the entire left frank. Bowman was right up the top with Moult and McDonald behind him, and whoever else was on the pitch was behind them. Then we scored the second and played two banks of five which was terrible to watch.

Great win. There's been a lot made of some of our competitors beating higher ranked opposition but some of these, particularly Accies' two wins over Aberdeen, have sounded like absolute robbery and I've been left thinking when do we get this sort of luck? I couldn't think of a victory this season that we haven't seemed to deserve but it sounds as though it maybe came today. Although to contradict the stats, Alan Preston on the radio said he thought we probably deserved it.