Scottish Premiership Kilmarnock V Motherwell Sat 4 Mar 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Would those at the game say that Robinson made a difference? By all accounts we were lucky to get to half time 1 down, and then there was the last minute penalty miss. I don't want to take he shine off what was a great win, but I'm skeptical as to whether this could be considered a "new manager bounce" and curious if anyone saw a different approach.

Like I said at half time we started the match the better team and pressed Killie back for the first 15 - 20 minutes. We didn't really have a lot of threat though. When Kilmarnock came forward they looked more dangerous as our two centre halves were getting knocked around every time by Sammon and Boyd.

After 20 minutes Kilmarnock came more into the game, they'd already cracked one off the bar before they scored. A very poor goal from our point of view, defenders just weren't physical enough. After the goal Kilmarnock dominated up until half time and probably should have gone in more than 1-0 up. We looked in a sorry state at that point and not much different from against Dundee when the heads went down. The difference though was it was only 1-0 at HT and Kilmarnock didn't take their chances.

Second half changes made a big difference. That said you couldn't see us scoring too many from open play (can only really remember one chance when McDonald hit one from 18 yards and the keeper saved it low to his left) but Kilmarnock defended poorly from set pieces and were made to pay for it. As you'd expect in the later stages we got deeper and deeper and Kilmarnock rallied and they had us camped in our own box for most of the last 10-15 minutes. Samson has made a tremendous save from Gary Dicker fired in from 20 yards that looked a goal all the way. Penalty, I couldn't say for sure if it was or wasn't. Looked like the Kilmarnock player went down kinda easy but very difficult to say if there was any contact from the opposite end of the ground.

Overall I'd say the performance wasn't any thing radically different from what we've seen this season. We had good spells but didn't ever dominate the match, we looked shaky in defence and lost a soft goal, and when we went 0-1 down our heads went down and we looked to be struggling for confidence. The difference was we had a bit of luck that we've not had recently. Couple off the wood work for Killie that on another day go in, the missed penalty, a couple of scrappy goals where the ball falls for us ping ponging around the box, something that hasn't been happening for us.

If Kilmarnock had got a second in the first half which they looked like they were going to get today would probably been a lot different but they didn't and we made some good changes at half time and managed to pull 3 points out it.

As you'd expect in the later stages we got deeper and deeper and Kilmarnock rallied and they had us camped in our own box for most of the last 10-15 minutes.

We brought that on ourselves by putting 11 behind the ball with absolutely no out-ball. We rode our luck at times and I'm not convinced we should have started playing for time so early - on another day we'd have been bitten on the arse for it.

I couldn't believe we didn't at least try to capitalise on the free-kick Bowman won right at the edge of the box down at the by-line - to not even try and get a 3rd from such a dangerous position seemed like insanity particularly when our set pieces had been the one thing causing them problems.

I don't mean to put a negative spin on a great afternoon, I'm just not sure Robinson called it right to revert to those tactics with so long still to go.

Just saw the penalty incident, Jules clearly and fairly wins the ball, refs in Scotland really are pathetic.

Nevertheless a great three points, hopefully we can push on a bit now.

It was Frear though wasn't it? Good to see a winger tracking back and he did seem to win the ball cleanly. Ferguson got away with a blatant trip before that though but it may have been just outside the box anyway.

It was Frear though wasn't it? Good to see a winger tracking back and he did seem to win the ball cleanly. Ferguson got away with a blatant trip before that though but it may have been just outside the box anyway.

Aye Frear sorry. Noticed Boyd had a handful of Heneghans shirt at his goal which was missed. Nice to get a rub of the green though as it seems we have had no luck this season.

Just watched the highlights. Quality ball in from Frear for the 2nd goal. Also the celebrations for both goals, the final whistle, and the reaction to the penalty put to bed any uncertainties about the players' care for the cause. Can't make out if it was a pen or not from the highlights.

Love Boyd's celebration too, always a player I've liked, not sure why.

• Like 1

Hint of offside, handball and shirt pulling from Boyd and the pen was soft as shit. Maybe it was Killie that was lucky,

I too thought that there was a hint of handball, but none of our lads protested, which maybe tells its own story. When Boyd gets up after scoring he lifts his arm and makes a gesture to our support with his finger(s) - thats obviously why some took umbrage at him and not because of his belly gesture.

The penalty was in the extremely soft category - the kind of incident you might see 2 or 3 times in a game and which the ref normally waves away with a smile on his face, leaving players and fans mumbling ach well it was worth a try. Yes, Killie may have hit woodwork 3 times but they can't really claim to be unlucky.

I noticed that Pearo played very deep and didn't seem to make many, if any, of his hallmark runs. Either he's not fit, or has been told to sit deeper.

Anyway the players seemed to give it their all which is all we can ask. A vital win.

Just finished watching the game on Alba and 3 things sprang to mind:

Our fans, and the Well Bois in particular, were much more vocal than the Kille fans - so kudos there.

I really like the coverage Alba is giving to the non-OF and Championship teams.

I still hate plastic pitches with a passion. Throw-ins that bounce back up to head height and players continually trying to kick balls that have bounced to waist height have no place in the game. It's fine for short passes along the deck, but outside of that it can be painful to watch.

Love Boyd's celebration too, always a player I've liked, not sure why.

If he’s on your side fans will love him. However, his attitude will always get on the nerves of the away support. Personally I like these kind of players as they can add a bit of excitement to a game. You can’t beat a bit of banter with an opposition player. Davie Cooper used to wind up the opposition fans something awful. In my opinion it’s all part of the fun. :)

• Like 1

Probably what opposing fans think of McDonald.

Having just watched a recording of the Alba highlights (admittedly with liberal use of the fast forward button) it looked as though Bowman got himself involved (in a good way) and I have to say it looked a penalty to me on the first viewing. i just can't see how Frear can win the ball there without taking some legs firat as he has so close to his feet. Poor Zak seems to being wrongly vilified for it in reports.

Nice to see some threat from set pieces but we would be looking at Samson if he was the goalie for Jules' goal.

Great win and great support throughout - well done to all who went and I heard Alan Preston praising the small group giving the constant vocal support.

It was a special moment for him, scoring his 200th league goal. One you would have thought he would have wanted to celebrate with his own fans rather than trying to get a rise out of the visiting support.

The penalty could have been his 100th league goal for Kilmarnock - shame!

Boyd held up two fingers (not the v kind) and smiled at the crowd. That's what the supporters reacted to. At the time I didn't know what it was about but that's obvious what it was.

Good win Zak jules reminds me of Liam Grimshaw. Has the attributes to be a professional footballer but looks as if he has never really played first team football before caught with the mental side a lot but good physical tools prob be ready last day of this season!

Would those at the game say that Robinson made a difference? By all accounts we were lucky to get to half time 1 down, and then there was the last minute penalty miss. I don't want to take he shine off what was a great win, but I'm skeptical as to whether this could be considered a "new manager bounce" and curious if anyone saw a different approach.

Absolutely.McGhee would never have brought on Bowman and Frear. Hats off to him, even if it was enforced - he chose two attacking players. You could also see we were very well drilled into a shape and there was a lot of talking and shouting on the park from our players.

Great win and never a pen.

Boyd held up two fingers (not the v kind) and smiled at the crowd. That's what the supporters reacted to. At the time I didn't know what it was about but that's obvious what it was.

Lucky he wasn't handed a yellow card then. I've seen cards dished out maybe 3 or 4 times for that.

I've no problem with a bit of banter but referees need to be consistent.

Probably what opposing fans think of McDonald.

Having just watched a recording of the Alba highlights (admittedly with liberal use of the fast forward button) it looked as though Bowman got himself involved (in a good way) and I have to say it looked a penalty to me on the first viewing. i just can't see how Frear can win the ball there without taking some legs firat as he has so close to his feet. Poor Zak seems to being wrongly vilified for it in reports.

Nice to see some threat from set pieces but we would be looking at Samson if he was the goalie for Jules' goal.

Great win and great support throughout - well done to all who went and I heard Alan Preston praising the small group giving the constant vocal support.

Like I said a few weeks ago re McHughs sending off, tackling is about to be banned ......never a penalty.Refs need to be 100% sure before awarding especially in 90 th minute.

On another note , compare MCHugh's tackle with The tackle on Dougie Imrie in Rangers game yesterday,...I just thought the Rangers player was really clumsy , but Ihe boots Imrie right up the arse, can you see a MWELL player getting off with that?

A great and much needed win yesterday. Great celebrations at the end from the players, especially Jules.

I thought we started the game brightly and were in control for the first 15-20 mins but Killie grew into the game and were the better team in the first half. Decent banter from Boyd after he scored too.

Hats of to Robinson for making the positive changes at HT. I actually though Frear struggled to get into the game but you can't argue with his deliveries from the set pieces. Big Bowman was a handful too and now he's getting a few more minutes under his belt looks like he could be a useful asset.

Happy for Jules too, you could tell he had no confidence at all in the early parts of the game, everytime the ball came to him he just leathered it up the park but I thought he grew into the game and popped up with what proved to be the winner.

Special mention however for Carl McHugh. I thought he was excellent. Won just about every header against Boyd and Sammon, numerous blocks, helped Jules through the game and got the equaliser. I'll be more than happy for him to play at CB for the next 5-6 weeks until McManus is back.