Boycott ?

gilmour

There's been a slow and steady 'boycott' for a number of years now. There's been a number of reasons why, some logical some downright daft (like blaming it on not liking McGhee).

I've been saying it for a while, that transition to fan ownership meant the dawn of a new reality. Like it or lump it, I just do not see things positively changing for Motherwell or indeed Scottish football.

I took my boy to his first match today and it's painful to say it but I'm finding myself showing more and more interest in following Charlton Athletic than Motherwell in exile. He's got the bug from today and in the same way that I fell in love with the well, he will become an Addick diehard.

Charlton are a club with similar issues to ours so there ain't no glory hunting being done....it's just that from the outside looking in, there's a scent of death from Scottish football and a boycott won't make a blind bit of difference.

• Like 3

Boycott will achieve nothing. McGhee will not walk and Burrows wont sack his pal. That wont change no matter if we have 3000 or 30 at the next match

I think you're right and this is a huge reason why there's so much apathy around the place. It doesn't feel like anything will make any difference.

I took my boy to his first match today and it's painful to say it but I'm finding myself showing more and more interest in following Charlton Athletic than Motherwell in exile. He's got the bug from today and in the same way that I fell in love with the well, he will become an Addick diehard.

Charlton are a club with similar issues to ours so there ain't no glory hunting being done....it's just that from the outside looking in, there's a scent of death from Scottish football and a boycott won't make a blind bit of difference.

Know what you mean, Charlton is my 'local' club as well now. Sad day when they seem in better shape than us though :(

Maybe I'm deluded but I still don't think we'll go down with or without McGhee and a boycott will achieve feck all

I think it's very much each to their own.

There was a time when I might have felt strongly that it didn't reflect well on us as a support at that punters left early if we were losing, voiced negative views from the stands rather and called for the manager's head, but these days not so much. The price folk pay to go to games, coupled with the the whole "own MFC" vibe means that whether the club believe it right or wrong, fans do feel they have an entitlement and should have an influence.

I think the message from yesterday will have been received clearly in the boardroom from the emptying stands at half-time, those outside the ground and on social media. It would be impossible from the club not to be aware.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with those protests for the manager's head or would encourage fellow supporters to boycott the club. But a decision will be made in due course whether that's this week or in the summer and the views expressed yesterday will surely be taken into account.

For me personally however this isn't the time to turn our backs.

As has been stated well by a few across various threads McGhee, Samson, Jules, Chalmers and all on the receiving end of flak will all be gone soon or later. If you want a new manager or a better side you want those players or coaches to come into the club in the best possible shape it can be. And that isn't in the Championship.

Happy clapper it may very much be but in the knowledge that the point has been made yesterday it's a time for whoever is in charge next Saturday, whichever 18 pull on the jersey and for us punters to do all to do what we can collectively to try to turn the tide a bit, however unpalatable those coaches and players may be.

I heard it said after the Malpas protest with the season ticket throwing was pointless because it came at the end of the season. For me though it was the ideal time. By hook or by crook we were safe and the message could be made clearly to the board without destabilising things further. If there isn't change imminently my hope would be that there isn't an ongoing sideshow running in tandem to a battle against relegation as I think however well intentioned that may be, it isn't going things on the park.

We'll see what happens but for me, it's a time as was the feeling a season or two back not to "give up the fight" and turn our backs.

• Like 2

Boycott will achieve nothing. McGhee will not walk and Burrows wont sack his pal. That wont change no matter if we have 3000 or 30 at the next match

It would achieve things.

Things like making it even harder for the team to win a home match and generating even less turn over than we currently survive on.

• Like 1

I think it's very much each to their own.

There was a time when I might have felt strongly that it didn't reflect well on us as a support at that punters left early if we were losing, voiced negative views from the stands rather and called for the manager's head, but these days not so much. The price folk pay to go to games, coupled with the the whole "own MFC" vibe means that whether the club believe it right or wrong, fans do feel they have an entitlement and should have an influence.

I think the message from yesterday will have been received clearly in the boardroom from the emptying stands at half-time, those outside the ground and on social media. It would be impossible from the club not to be aware.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with those protests for the manager's head or would encourage fellow supporters to boycott the club. But a decision will be made in due course whether that's this week or in the summer and the views expressed yesterday will surely be taken into account.

For me personally however this isn't the time to turn our backs.

As has been stated well by a few across various threads McGhee, Samson, Jules, Chalmers and all on the receiving end of flak will all be gone soon or later. If you want a new manager or a better side you want those players or coaches to come into the club in the best possible shape it can be. And that isn't in the Championship.

Happy clapper it may very much be but in the knowledge that the point has been made yesterday it's a time for whoever is in charge next Saturday, whichever 18 pull on the jersey and for us punters to do all to do what we can collectively to try to turn the tide a bit, however unpalatable those coaches and players may be.

I heard it said after the Malpas protest with the season ticket throwing was pointless because it came at the end of the season. For me though it was the ideal time. By hook or by crook we were safe and the message could be made clearly to the board without destabilising things further. If there isn't change imminently my hope would be that there isn't an ongoing sideshow running in tandem to a battle against relegation as I think however well intentioned that may be, it isn't going things on the park.

We'll see what happens but for me, it's a time as was the feeling a season or two back not to "give up the fight" and turn our backs.

Can't disagree with any of this.

I, like the majority, am very much in the "McGhee Out" camp and I think yesterday made it clear that the 'Well support is now mostly united in that call. Not only was it blatantly clear to anyone who was at the game, because of things like the mass walk out and the chanting, but it also received coverage online and on the radio as a result. You don't really tend to get anything like that when it's a boycott involved - you'd imagine there'd be very few journalists even bothered to mention that Motherwell fans were boycotting their games. I think if folk want to make a statement, then organising protests or displays are often the way forward, particularly in modern football where such things end up getting a lot of exposure on social media and in the press.

Like a few of the folk posting, I'm not a fan of boycotting. Harming the club in that way, no matter how much you want a change, is short-term thinking which can do long-term damage. I'd far rather the support continued to make its feelings known without deliberately trying to damage the club financially.

I notice above someone has said that maybe the threat of losing money might be the one thing that guarantees a change but it's also worth pointing out that it doesn't require a boycott to threaten the club in that way. The Well Society continues to rely on monthly payments and donations from the Motherwell support, particularly this year due to Les's "Double Your Money" offer. Fans respond to what is going on on the park - if Motherwell are playing well, the support is proud of their team, and there's a feel good factor, then the fans are more likely to respond to Well Society membership and fundraising. When the performances are dire, the atmosphere is poisonous, the manager is public enemy number one, and relegation actually looks like it could be on the cards, there's far less chance of folk having the motivation and enthusiasm to put money in through the Well Society.

So boycott or not, Mark McGhee remaining at Fir Park will still threaten the ability of the club/Society to generate finances. With that in mind, I'd prefer to see fans engaging in protests and other creative ways to get their point across, without further trying to damage the finances.

• Like 1

Boycott? Fuck that.

Protests during the game? Fuck that.

By all means, protest away all you want after matches, but its at times like this, we really do need to use our energy to help pull the team out of the hole they have dug themselves into. Boycotts and Protests will be nothing other than counter-productive in the short-term, as players are less likely to respond positively to empty stands or being called all the names under the Sun, and hearing their 'supporters' lambast their boss for 90minutes. There is a fair chance that Saturdays actions from the supporters will have a negative effect on the team, particularly if the players pick up on the fact that there manager is the one getting it in the neck more than them.

Protests and the like aren't for me, but my message to the lads and lassies that are going down that route would be 'support the team during the match, protest after it'.

• Like 5

Surely with everything you mention Jay, we'll see an announcement at somepoint today that McGhee and the club have parted company?

If not, we'll surely see protests/banners at every game for the rest of the season.

For me, the screaming and shouting and getting upset at our fate is nearing an end. I'm

resigned to our fate if things stay as they are. The game is up and if those in charge are not willing to act to save us and if the board fail to remove McGhee then they are just as complicit in our demise as him and his shitey signings.

Now turned 60 I have followed the Well for over 45 years, have some shares, joined the well society, have worked at the club, and was also involved in the trust. I went home and away and introduced my 3 kids to the 'joys' of following the Well. I have had some wonderful times that old firm fans just will never understand, and most importantly met some terrific people. Just a month ago 7 of us who all met through MFC had a wonderful meal together to bid one of our number a fond farewell to his new life in the States. I have gained a huge amount by being a supporter and would never indulge in a 'boycott'.......but then I realised perhaps as others I have been 'boycotting' for a few years as my level of attendance has dropped from season ticket holder to maybe 1 in 3 home games and very few away. In fact, living away from the area, when I do go now the primary motive is to see the friends I have made over the years.

For me a defining moment was the Celtic Cup Final when we just didn't turn up or compete. There was a defeatist attitude that day and in many ways has been ever since, a mild acceptance of our place in the scheme of things which I believe affects the attitude shown on the park. We are not daft, we know we are a smaller club but as others have proved smaller clubs can do great things or at least bust a gut trying and that is what I see missing..... to me we use the lack of resource as a ready made excuse, rather than genuinely strive to be the best we can possibly be.

I look at a team full of English non league players and think how can a support identify with these players, who with the exception of Moult are of lesser quality than we had or more worryingly than others seem to bring in. We are trying to find a nugget in the midden to sell on, not build a team playing exciting football, be competitive in the top 6 or win a cup, and that is why the apathy is growing. If that is the sum of our ambition and this is the level of excitement, what is the point of travelling all over the country and spending a fortune.

There is a built in excuse for failure and when that situation exists failure is what will happen.

I can't pretend to have all the answers but what struck me is the apathy amongst us older ones rather than anger on Saturday.It is as if the support has given up as well....and that is a real worry.

• Like 4

I can't pretend to have all the answers but what struck me is the apathy amongst us older ones rather than anger on Saturday.It is as if the support has given up as well....and that is a real worry.

I've still got a bit to go before I'm 60, but even at my age I've seen plenty of horrendous spells of form and managerial crises before, and for better or for worse we're still ticking along much the same as always. As they get older, a lot of folk also just have more important things in life to be passionate and/or upset about than how their football team's doing, especially these days. (Though I'm sure I also feel it less because I rarely get to any games any more.)

For some younger fans, how they feel about the current string of debacles will probably be on a par with the most frustrated/disgusted/angriest they've ever felt about anything, and that's absolutely fine... it would probably have made my blood boil 20 years ago too. But now I'm just too old for that sort of thing ;)

My uncle introduced me to MFC. He was a diehard, went home and away for years, to Europe even the IoM tournament FFS, had an incredible collection of memorabilia and almost bled C & A. He warned me of this 4yrs ago when the happy clappers were so busy brown nosing McCall to see our demise in the distance.

Gone now are all the programs, the match tickets, the framed prints, the scarves, the strips, the claret and amber wall in the garage, the autographed stuff, everything. He pays no attention now whatsoever, won't even be aware of our last result or who next game is against.

That to me is terribly sad, and indicative of the current state of MFC. If a Boycott is what it takes to get rid of the Board Room imposters dragging MFC to oblivion then so beit. I'm in.

• Like 1

I think a boycott would do more harm than good. I think also having had a few tears of relative "success" then plumeting very quickly is a contrast that just amplifies how bad we are. Having said that I was hoping to see a lot more form McGhee's team and i think he has been there long enough that we should have seen some sort of improvement or system, pattern or atthe very least some fight and spirit but from what little I've seen and from what I have read there is just nothing. You can be a shite player, your tactics can suck but there is never any reason why you can't put in a 100% shift every game. Just not a good aura about the club right now so hopefully we can change that sooner ratehr than later.

• Like 1