S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

I went into the local BetFred and Willie Hills and there was no market for it! Had to bet online

Whilst I have no access to the facts and figures to back this up, I suspect that the overall amount staked on our next manager (across all bookies that have the market open) will only be a 3 figure sum. Fans will throw a token amount at a name, but it is not a market that will attract large sums. The moment a bookie takes a large sum on one person in a market with such little going through it, then they will close the market quickly.

Whilst I have no access to the facts and figures to back this up, I suspect that the overall amount staked on our next manager (across all bookies that have the market open) will only be a 3 figure sum. Fans will throw a token amount at a name, but it is not a market that will attract large sums. The moment a bookie takes a large sum on one person in a market with such little going through it, then they will close the market quickly.

While you are right on that, probably also find that most bookies don't even open a market on it to begin with for the reasons you stated. Obviously they don't remember the killing they can make through a Van Der Gaag situation...

'Flow indicating in a piece in The Sun re: Robinson that realistically it'll be next week before anything's announced and that Robinson, McFadden & Craigan will take the Aberdeen game. Which is fair enough really.

Reading between the lines etc I get the impression that it really depends on who the other candidates are and how they stack up against Robinson and whether they're obviously a better fit for the job.

"Burrows told SunSport: Were doing our homework and due diligence on those who have applied for the job.

It may be that we can make an appointment before the weekend but the likelihood now is it goes into next week.

Being realistic it looks like Steve, James McFadden and Stephen Craigan will remain in charge for one more game at least, but Steve will be one of the people we consider.

Hes someone we respect as a coach. He did brilliantly in the last game against Kilmarnock."

So maybe it isn't going to be Robinson? It could be a coach that is a little streetwise who doesn't want to be named too soon so he can distance himself in case we are pumped again at Pittodrie...

I'd have said that's as plausible reading of it as any rather than it being a given that Robinson's getting the job until the end of the season tbh.

• Like 1

Flo's statement had zero information content - which is exactly what I'd expect at this stage of the process.

Basically, we'll take a look at who's applied and if any of them are the best option, we'll employ them.

• Like 2

So maybe it isn't going to be Robinson? It could be a coach that is a little streetwise who doesn't want to be named too soon so he can distance himself in case we are pumped again at Pittodrie...

In the past you seem to have been right about stuff regards the club so I'll not be astounded if it proves to be the case again. I just get the feeling (as I said the other day) that the club may feel that the person they want to rebuild the team in the summer isn't the same person to come in and get the best out of the current squad in the particular challenge of a relegation battle. I feel as if they think the guy for that is someone who knows the squad and already has a rapport with them. Like I say, just my gut feeling and my gut told me we wouldn't sack McGhee so what do I know...

In the past you seem to have been right about stuff regards the club so I'll not be astounded if it proves to be the case again. I just get the feeling (as I said the other day) that the club may feel that the person they want to rebuild the team in the summer isn't the same person to come in and get the best out of the current squad in the particular challenge of a relegation battle. I feel as if they think the guy for that is someone who knows the squad and already has a rapport with them. Like I say, just my gut feeling and my gut told me we wouldn't sack McGhee so what do I know...

Na, just offering a different slant. Don't think our thinking is that far apart.

Oldham, although second bottom had the most clean sheets in the league. He makes the team difficult to beat first and foremost which isn't a bad thing. We will score goals unlike Oldham given our striking options. I wouldn't be averse to having Robinson in charge till the end of season.

• Like 1

SJK psysiotherapist Twitter

""Something special ahead. Foggy island is calling!!""

Simo got fired and now coming Scotland. Please take that !#!#*piip*!# and don't make mistake giving him long contract. Extremely nice person when things going well but when not going well he is like biggest !#!*piip*. Just ask Derby or SJK.

• Like 1

SJK psysiotherapist Twitter

""Something special ahead. Foggy island is calling!!""

Simo got fired and now coming Scotland. Please take that !#!#*piip*!# and don't make mistake giving him long contract. Extremely nice person when things going well but when not going well he is like biggest !#!*piip*. Just ask Derby or SJK.

Can you give us a bit more of your opinion of Simo? I had thought that he was very highly regarded and popular among the fans in Helsinki but your post doesn't make it sound so simple and straight forward.

Apparently the shortlist for interview is Robinson, John Hughes, Jim Duffy, Billy Davies and Owen Coyle. Quite a strong list if true..

I would go for Billy Davies, failing that Jim Duffy. John Hughes would be interesting too.

If you're taking that from the Motherwell Times piece then if you read it carefully that's not what it says. Those names are listed as being "in the running" based on the bookies odds. It doesn't say that's the shortlist. Those are just the top 5 names that have been lifted from the bookies market (or were as Valakari's now moved up to favourite).

"The latest bookies odds have Robinson as the 2/1 second favourite to land the Motherwell gaffer's job permanently, behind 5/4 favourits Jim Duffy. Other names in the frame include Owen Coyle, Billy Davies and John Hughes.

Motherwell supremo Alan Burrows said "We've had applications from all over the world, as well as a healthy amount of managers from the British Isles. I would take the bookies odds with a pinch of salt.""

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/italian-superstar-ravanelli-ruled-out-of-motherwell-manager-s-job-1-4386526

A strong list? I'd have thought they could have come up with a better set of names than that to be honest.

Owen Coyle is the only one of those 5 that I'd be happy about...

Robinson, isn't the experienced head we need at a time like this, he seems highly regarded as a coach, but then so was Maurice Malpas

Duffy, I actually felt was a half-decent contender until his comments about the Well Society and the Club/Fan Relationship going on...to be fair, I agreed with what he was trying to say, but I dare say his comments were enough for folk within our support to take an instant dislike to him, which isnt something we need right now, given the carry-on we've had over the past couple of years

Davies, maybe its just because I was at an impressionable age when he made a cunt of the job the last time, and yes. he is a whole lot more experienced now, but Davies for me gives me far too many bad memories, much in the same way as Alex McLeish does

Hughes, I just think hes an absolute nugget. He'd no doubt kick some arses and save us from relegation, but going forward I'd be surprised if he was able to push us on much further than that.

Coyles reputation in England is at its lowest ebb, a couple of years back there is no way he'd have come near us, but previous to that he had a great time at Burnley and St Johnstone before that. I'd be keen to see what he could bring to the table.

If either of the other 4 get it though, I won't be flinging my dummy out the pram, stamping my feet like an over-sized child and telling all and sundry that 'ah'll not be back until that cunt Robinson/Duffy/Davies/Hughes is away' right enough.

• Like 2

Apparently the shortlist for interview is Robinson, John Hughes, Jim Duffy, Billy Davies and Owen Coyle. Quite a strong list if true..

I would go for Billy Davies, failing that Jim Duffy. John Hughes would be interesting too.

What no place on the list for the fans favourites Valakari and Van Der Gaag, surely not.

If Owen Coyle was in the running, I'm not sure we'd be carrying out interviews as he would more than likely be the standout candidate.

None of the other names listed are inspiring imo. I'm increasingly warming to the idea of handing Robinson the reigns until the end of the season before appointing a young up and coming manager in the summer.