S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Robinson has made his case in regard to toughening the mentality of the squad and that may be enough to secure the post until the end of the season. I wouldn't be against that, although not my first choice.

If the best choice isn't available, however, it makes sense to have a short term solution in mind as well as a longer term option.

People honestly believe someone pitting their wits against Mourinho and Wenger last season will see their next career move as the Fir Park hotseat?

Robinson should be sacked because we lost an injury-time goal away to a team 2nd in the league with double our points total?

This place is comedy gold sometimes. :lol:

• Like 6

Robinson should be sacked because we lost an injury-time goal away to a team 2nd in the league with double our points total?

This place is comedy gold sometimes. :lol:

Not sure where you picked this up from Stu. I've checked back the posts after the game and haven't found anyone who has suggested that Robinson be sacked from his caretaker role because of the loss today. Given thats only liable to last for a few more days, I can't fathom out what that would achieve. I merely suggested that his performance over the past 2 games has neither helped nor hindered his prospects of landing the job. A lot will depend on who the other 4 candidates are and we don't know. If you can find the source suggesting that he be sacked then fine.

Not sure where you picked this up from Stu. I've checked back the posts after the game and haven't found anyone who has suggested that Robinson be sacked from his caretaker role because of the loss today. Given thats only liable to last for a few more days, I can't fathom out what that would achieve. I merely suggested that his performance over the past 2 games has neither helped nor hindered his prospects of landing the job. A lot will depend on who the other 4 candidates are and we don't know. If you can find the source suggesting that he be sacked then fine.

Eh? Postiejim for a start saying that we can forget Robinson and that he's failed...a conversation you were a part of. Unless you're being pedantically literal because the word "sacked" wasn't included?

Fine, I'll replace it with "Robinson should be sacked shouldn't be kept on because we lost an injury-time goal away to a team 2nd in the league with double our points total?" Sorry, still sounds laughably ridiculous to me.

Eh? Postiejim for a start saying that we can forget Robinson and that he's failed...a conversation you were a part of. Unless you're being pedantically literal because the word "sacked" wasn't included?

Fine, I'll replace it with "Robinson should be sacked shouldn't be kept on because we lost an injury-time goal away to a team 2nd in the league with double our points total?" Sorry, still sounds laughably ridiculous to me.

Lets just take stock shall we. Stephen Robinson has been appointed on a caretaker basis until the Aberdeen game or more likely until a permanent successor is found. So on that basis he's not going to be sacked nor should he be. Postiejim never suggested that he should be fired. The suggestion that he had failed, on the basis of 2 games, is a world away from saying he should be sacked. Its not a matter of semantics nor splitting hairs.

There are many opinions of Stephen Robinson on these forums and each member is quite entitled to express them, without being subject to ridicule. I may not agree with some but thats what sensible reasoned debate is all about. Live and let live. Postiejim doesn't think that Robinson has done well and presumably shouldn't be given the job permanently and thats fine. There are quite a few others who agree. That does not mean they should be ridiculed by you or anyone else. There are yet others who think he has done well and should be given the chance. And, finally there are those like me who don't think he has done much (for better or for worse) to help the Directors make their difficult choice - an in between or neutral view if you like. There are many views in between.

Stephen Robinson was given, probably, 2 games in charge and its hard to achieve a lot in that time. He's had to work with players not of his choosing. I wasn't expecting miracles in that time. The Killie result, against a fellow bottom 6 side, was good but our defending was still a bit shambolic, Killie hit woodwork several times and we seemed to struggle in the latter stages...yet again. Yesterday we cut out individual calamitous errors, but our defending was still a bit shambolic, we lost and to a late goal again. It was to the league's second best team.

So, I was neither impressed nor disappointed by Robinson's 2 games in charge. As for filling the vacancy, A lot is going to depend on who the other 4 candidates are.

Hadn't realised Craigan was in the TV gantry at Pittodrie yesterday rather than the bench. Thought he was charged with being an interim first team coach? Certainly underlines where his loyalties lie.

His loyalties lie with his U20 coach contract and his BT contract I'm sure. I doubt he's allowed to skip a legally binding commitment because Motherwell decided to sack McGhee. If he missed an U20s game, that would be a different matter.

• Like 2

So does anyone know the final 5? All I know for sure is that Robinson is one of them

We always keep our cards close to our chest and until the new man is announced I suspect that won’t change. The media in Scotland are only concerned with the Old firm and we are well down the list of news gossip. It’s okay to speculate on here, however, we need to put our trust in the board that they will make the right decision on who gets it.

• Like 1

So for speculation's sake, we can probably discount anyone who is employed, so let's drop Duffy and Hughes. This would also cover previous popular applicants like nijholt and vdg. Alex Neil would be great, but there's no way he would take a job just a couple of days after being fired. Then we know coyle, Davies and mcculloch haven't applied.

Assuming our short list is of applicants, and not a wish list:

Robinson has definitely applied, and valakari apparently flew to Scotland last week, and he did apply last time so we can be pretty sure he's one of the short list.

This leaves names like butcher, Presley, Lomas, who will all know what the job involves and be in our price range. Then outsiders like dickov and freedman.

So I'm now sure that it will be Robinson.

Burley has come up the last couple of times, but seems to be off the radar this time around for some reason. I'd like him here, he'd fit the "craig brown type" profile.

Mixu is still kicking about too, and I think we agreed last time that he'd be shite.

I quite fancied Dougie Freedman last time round as he was an up and coming young coach with championship level experience who appeared to be doing a decent job bringing through young players. My concern this time round is that he hadnt had another gig since then which raises the question why?

I quite fancied Dougie Freedman last time round as he was an up and coming young coach with championship level experience who appeared to be doing a decent job bringing through young players. My concern this time round is that he hadnt had another gig since then which raises the question why?

The last time we were looking for a manager Freedman was at Forest (01/02/15-13/03/16). That was his last job. (McGhee was appointed 13/10/15).

If you mean you liked the sound of Freedman when we ended up going with Baraclough then yeah, he's had a job since then.

So for speculation's sake, we can probably discount anyone who is employed, so let's drop Duffy and Hughes. This would also cover previous popular applicants like nijholt and vdg. Alex Neil would be great, but there's no way he would take a job just a couple of days after being fired. Then we know coyle, Davies and mcculloch haven't applied.

Assuming our short list is of applicants, and not a wish list:

Robinson has definitely applied, and valakari apparently flew to Scotland last week, and he did apply last time so we can be pretty sure he's one of the short list.

This leaves names like butcher, Presley, Lomas, who will all know what the job involves and be in our price range. Then outsiders like dickov and freedman.

So I'm now sure that it will be Robinson.

The club may also have approached some candidates who did not apply. In Rumsfeld language its a known unknown.