S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Absolutely spot on, he isn't scared to change it and seems to see what all of us see

He deserves a lot of credit for tonight not only for replacing ferguson who was going to cost us a goal or two against jones but also for tweaking the attacking threat is the second half to exploit Killies weakness against the counter attack.

His tactics were bang on the money

• Like 1

So can we stick with the manager now he's did what he said he would do and judge him next season. I've been massively impressed. Going from a fish net of a defence to one that looses stupid goals. Lasley tonight was a peach

He will make subs early ferguson was roasted tonight and taken off.

We look better at set pieces. Corner and free kick tonight looked like it was off the training ground.

Yes sometimes he gets it wrong (can other managers not get it right?)

He will try different formations ok it may not always work so again he will change it

Most of all he has the players fighting for him

So let's reserve judgement till he has a pre season and his own players

Peace out

I'm not going to debate it tonight, its a night to breathe a sigh of relief, that we have got away with it.

so safe to say I dont agree, but peace out indeed

He's stopped the defence leaking like a sieve. Has proved that he's not afraid to change things (Griffiths for Samson was bold, to say the least). He's given Allan Campbell a few games and introduced others on to the bench.

Was he my first choice? No. But 4 wins out of 11 is better than 6 wins in 26. He's made a difference.

Replacing Moult, McDonald and Ainsworth is a huge task for any manager. This will test him...

He's stopped the defence leaking like a sieve. Has proved that he's not afraid to change things (Griffiths for Samson was bold, to say the least). He's given Allan Campbell a few games and introduced others on to the bench.

Was he my first choice? No. But 4 wins out of 11 is better than 6 wins in 26. He's made a difference.

Replacing Moult, McDonald and Ainsworth is a huge task for any manager. This will test him...

When I say change I mean during games. He can do little with the pot he's been left to piss in by a certain previous manager.

Sorry just re read and realised it want a criticism

I'm not going to debate it tonight, its a night to breathe a sigh of relief, that we have got away with it.

so safe to say I dont agree, but peace out indeed

Did we get away with it. Or did his team fight there way to safety. Different how others see it.

A lot of miserable sods on this forum

I am quite convinced if we had Conte or Mourinho there would be plenty on here that would still moan given every opportunity

I also don't know what kind of Manager some people think we can attract

Robinson was given a job to do under very difficult circumstances. You know what (and it might have escaped some) he went and did it.

He should get the opportunity to build his own side and he will. Not saying he will turn out to be a succes but...

It has been a shite season but most of that has little to do with him.

Let's enjoy the fact we have won 2 games and are now safe for another season. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

• Like 1

I'm still not 100% convinced by him and still maintain it was a lazy appointment and a missed opportunity.

That said, last night he got everything spot on and has achieved what was required of him with a game to spare. So he rightfully gets time and the summer will be a chance to bring in his own players and put his own stamp on the squad. Again, that is no easy task given the sheer amount of deadwood in the squad.

He has got my full support and I hope he proves my initial doubt to be wrong and goes on to have a very successful spell as our manager.

With hindsight, Robinson is the right choice. We stayed up, which was the vital part, and we stayed up due to the choices he made, I'd argue.

When he came in, we're outside the transfer window, and he can only pish with the cock he's got. In reality, throughout his time so far we've had;

1 Centre Half (Heneghan)
1 Left back (Hammell)

No right back, and McHugh, supposed to be our midfield lynchpin, in at centre half.

Regardless of the other resources at his disposal further forward, and whichever of the two shaky keepers we've got, he's taken a team that conceded fourteen goals in three matches, to one that conceded twelve in eleven matches (granted, that isn't exactly world beating, but its significantly better).

The back three, and some of the play has been utterly dreadful to watch, but in the games we've picked up points;

Kilmarnock - A goal down at half time, changed it taking off two defenders and bringing on Frear, who hasn't looked back (more on him later)

Rangers - Kicking off the game with three centre-forwards and having a go, because being defensive hasn't worked there before? Bold.

Accies - It was fucking rotten, but with no Moult, he certainly had a go.

Inverness - Lost two goals after being comfortable, stuck on Ainsworth to go and attack them more, turned it.

Accies - Again, chucked on Ainsworth. Seconds later, we score. Granted, it wasn't in any way related to Ainsworth, but being brave gets us over the line.

Kilmarnock - Set up to go and attack the game, hooked Ferguson for Ainsworth after half an hour. Ainsworth wins us the game.

This is also discounting;

St Johnstone - Where we literally couldn't have come closer to scoring as it hit both posts and stayed out after he chucked on all our attackers.

Partick Thistle - Where again, he had a go and we were fairly unlucky that we didn't get a result in the second half.

He's backed guys like Frear, who's assisted roughly half our goals since he came in, and has been absolutely massive for us, has brought in guys like Campbell and Gordon who have done wee bits and pieces, sacked off Samson when it became clear just being there was a problem for us, and finally managed to get something out of Ainsworth this year.

I find it difficult to fault him, really. I'm not massively convinced anyone else would have done anything differently, or done anything better. Stuff like Samson falling to bits against Dundee, Jules' absolute aberration against Ross County, McGinn's last minute against Aberdeen, I just don't think you can legislate for. That's another three points minimum, that we could/should have had.

His interview last night was pretty positive as well, as he mentioned, his real job starts now. The squad is an absolute mess, with virtually no defenders, money wasted on central midfielders offering little, and you would imagine, at least one of our main assets departing. First thing the club should be spending money is a fucking depth chart board, lets not end up with one fit centre half for a run in.

So it's Robinson next season ,no my choice but I'm not going tae go on about it, getting behind him and the team next season. Hope I'm wrong ,I often am, have a good pre season lads...

This is the way I see it...I've been extremely critical of the circumstances around his appointment, and I'm not convinced he was the best man for the job. However, he has kept us up, and deserves a chance to have a crack at next season.

Like others, I was impressed with how quickly he took action to replace Ferguson, other managers may have waited until half-time and by that point the damage may have been done.

Pre-season is going to be a big ask for him, considering the amount of changes he will have to make...lets see how he gets on

Great post thisGraeme, not a single keypress in error.

I think some of our fans were expecting a Jack & Victor 2010 run with the McGhee initial and subsequent Robinson appointments. Yes back in 2010 we had an unprecedented form, exhibited by a team that had lost direction (maybe deliberately so) to then on a run of 12ish games unbeaten and racking up a host of points. Lets not forget that squad had a lot of quality combined with the fact it's also in recent memory.

Your summary of the past 10 games puts context to something that for some reason has been emotive and many have used as a stick to beat Robinson with. All the above highlights his arrival while far from spectacular is certainly above average.

I was very impressed with Robinson's in-game management last night. And on reflection, he has made some bold decisions in recent weeks despite having one hand tied behind his back with the injury crisis.

Massive couple of months ahead. If Robinson has a decent network of contacts and an eye for talent, it will go a long way to making his job a lot easier next season. With one of the smaller budgets in the league, here's hoping we go back to prioritising quality over quantity.

I gave up on guessing how good a manger someone will be at our club after Malpas.

I always assumed when Butcher was here, Terry was providing the motivation and inspiration and Malpas was passing on his tactical nous gained from his time with Jim Mclean. He was certainly part of a great Dundee Utd side. So when he took over, I thought he would do a decent job.

As I said in another thread, fans are idiots - including me.

• Like 1

With hindsight, Robinson is the right choice. We stayed up, which was the vital part, and we stayed up due to the choices he made, I'd argue.

When he came in, we're outside the transfer window, and he can only pish with the cock he's got. In reality, throughout his time so far we've had;

1 Centre Half (Heneghan)

1 Left back (Hammell)

No right back, and McHugh, supposed to be our midfield lynchpin, in at centre half.

Regardless of the other resources at his disposal further forward, and whichever of the two shaky keepers we've got, he's taken a team that conceded fourteen goals in three matches, to one that conceded twelve in eleven matches (granted, that isn't exactly world beating, but its significantly better).

The back three, and some of the play has been utterly dreadful to watch, but in the games we've picked up points;

Kilmarnock - A goal down at half time, changed it taking off two defenders and bringing on Frear, who hasn't looked back (more on him later)

Rangers - Kicking off the game with three centre-forwards and having a go, because being defensive hasn't worked there before? Bold.

Inverness - Lost two goals after being comfortable, stuck on Ainsworth to go and attack them more, turned it.

Accies - Again, chucked on Ainsworth. Seconds later, we score. Granted, it wasn't in any way related to Ainsworth, but being brave gets us over the line.

Kilmarnock - Set up to go and attack the game, hooked Ferguson for Ainsworth after half an hour. Ainsworth wins us the game.

St Johnstone - Where we literally couldn't have come closer to scoring as it hit both posts and stayed out after he chucked on all our attackers.

Partick Thistle - Where again, he had a go and we were fairly unlucky that we didn't get a result in the second half.

He's backed guys like Frear, who's assisted roughly half our goals since he came in, and has been absolutely massive for us, has brought in guys like Campbell and Gordon who have done wee bits and pieces, sacked off Samson when it became clear just being there was a problem for us, and finally managed to get something out of Ainsworth this year.

I find it difficult to fault him, really. I'm not massively convinced anyone else would have done anything differently, or done anything better. Stuff like Samson falling to bits against Dundee, Jules' absolute aberration against Ross County, McGinn's last minute against Aberdeen, I just don't think you can legislate for. That's another three points minimum, that we could/should have had.

His interview last night was pretty positive as well, as he mentioned, his real job starts now. The squad is an absolute mess, with virtually no defenders, money wasted on central midfielders offering little, and you would imagine, at least one of our main assets departing. First thing the club should be spending money is a fucking depth chart board, lets not end up with one fit centre half for a run in.

giphy.gif

So it's Robinson next season ,no my choice but I'm not going tae go on about it, getting behind him and the team next season. Hope I'm wrong ,I often am, have a good pre season lads...

This is the way I see it...I've been extremely critical of the circumstances around his appointment, and I'm not convinced he was the best man for the job. However, he has kept us up, and deserves a chance to have a crack at next season.

Like others, I was impressed with how quickly he took action to replace Ferguson, other managers may have waited until half-time and by that point the damage may have been done.

Pre-season is going to be a big ask for him, considering the amount of changes he will have to make...lets see how he gets on

These posts sum up how I feel about it.

The last two wins have been great and a lot of positives have been mentioned. We were also utter dug shite at points too.

Onwards and upwards though. Right behind him and whomever else is still there in July.

1 Centre Half (Heneghan)

1 Left back (Hammell)

Excellent post.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15293711.Neil_Cameron__Who_in_Scottish_football_is_going_to_hire_John_Hughes_now_/

Interesting article, I didn't have a major issue with Hughes, always thought his teams played decent football, but this article puts another slant on things........p.s well done Robbo , you achieved what was asked if you.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15293711.Neil_Cameron__Who_in_Scottish_football_is_going_to_hire_John_Hughes_now_/

Interesting article, I didn't have a major issue with Hughes, always thought his teams played decent football, but this article puts another slant on things........p.s well done Robbo , you achieved what was asked if you.

This boy doesn't miss on Hughes: https://twitter.com/ScotMailSport/status/864051403660161029

I tried to embed the image but it's not letting me and I can only find the as part of the tweet so I'm guessing the article only appears in the Scottish print edition (it should be readable if you open the image and zoom in).

There are quite a few really erm...good, honest (sorry) pieces about what's happened at Raith this season around. Andy Harrow's article over on The Terrace gives a fair bit of insight. Link is here if you want to check it out: http://terracepodcast.net/raiths-annus-horribilis/it's not MFC related so I won't bother copy & pasting but it's worth a read if you're so inclined.

It definitely seems like there's been a bit of a sea change in terms of the perception of Hughes though.

If we start the season playing the same kind of long ball shite that has featured in every single game since he took over it'll be about three games until he's under pressure to be sacked.

So your job for the summer Steve is to sign some decent players including at least one quality striker, learn how to coach a team to play attacking football or hire an assistant who can and actually bring the players back early enough that they are fit for the first competitive game. Good luck!

If we start the season playing the same kind of long ball shite that has featured in every single game since he took over it'll be about three games until he's under pressure to be sacked.

I don't like the way we've played ie the long ball but I'd have done the same, as our central midfield has been largely defensive, one paced and not creative. So a creative build up on the ground through the middle was never really an option. The situation was made worse by having to play Cadden in a more defensive role (not sure about the alternative - Ferguson although he was played out of position on Tuesday). The test now, for me, is to see whether Robinson can bring in a creative player over the summer to the central midfield.

• Like 2

This boy doesn't miss on Hughes: https://twitter.com/ScotMailSport/status/864051403660161029

I tried to embed the image but it's not letting me and I can only find the as part of the tweet so I'm guessing the article only appears in the Scottish print edition (it should be readable if you open the image and zoom in).

There are quite a few really erm...good, honest (sorry) pieces about what's happened at Raith this season around. Andy Harrow's article over on The Terrace gives a fair bit of insight. Link is here if you want to check it out: http://terracepodcast.net/raiths-annus-horribilis/it's not MFC related so I won't bother copy & pasting but it's worth a read if you're so inclined.

It definitely seems like there's been a bit of a sea change in terms of the perception of Hughes though.

Fan wise there seems to be two different thoughts about John Hughes.

The first, fans of clubs who he's been manager of and those fans of clubs that he hasn't managed. The former will hardly have a good thing to say about his "brand" of football and the latter the opposite.