S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

• 2 months later...

Early days, of course, but I'm warming to the fella

Yes so am I. He seems to know exactly what kind of squad he wants and is recruiting accordingly. Its not just down to the type of player he's bringing in ie attacking midfielder, defender, but he's also adding pace and physicality. Last but not least he likes players with character (as Jock Wallace would say) who will battle for the cause.

Always thought Robinson had a bit about him.

I don't think folk using his time at Oldham as a stick to beat him with fully considered the facts around his time there. Also the Baraclough 'talks a good game' stuff never quite rung true for me. Baraclough talked a great game at first but very quickly sounded like he'd based his entire ethos around a book he once read about positivity in management. Robinson is far more balanced and comes across as a straight talker.

Still early days for him but so far he's proved he can plug a leaky defence, made some shrewd signings, got us playing an actual style of football, has shown he can change a game with substitutions and has a team which looks full of fight, character and spirit. Really looking forward to seeing how the next few months pan out.

• Like 5

Always thought Robinson had a bit about him.

I don't think folk using his time at Oldham as a stick to beat him with fully considered the facts around his time there. Also the Baraclough 'talks a good game' stuff never quite rung true for me. Baraclough talked a great game at first but very quickly sounded like he'd based his entire ethos around a book he once read about positivity in management. Robinson is far more balanced and comes across as a straight talker.

Still early days for him but so far he's proved he can plug a leaky defence, made some shrewd signings, got us playing an actual style of football, has shown he can change a game with substitutions and has a team which looks full of fight, character and spirit. Really looking forward to seeing how the next few months pan out.

I would agree with all but one thing. He hasn't plugged a leaky defence....he's gone out and built a new one.

It's still very early doors and it's easy to carried away but I haven't felt this enthused by the opening performances of a season in a hellova long time.

I'll feel even better when the transfer window is shut.

He's done what he said he would do as far as refreshing the squad, and so far has them playing the way he says he likes to play.

Early days yet, but high marks so far.

A point or three tomorrow will go a long way to getting our league campaign kick started.

He did last season. Our goal difference when McGhee was emptied was -23. Our GD in the 12 games with Robinson in charge was 0.

You're quite right, I was only thinking this season. He's done both!!!

So for the purpose of debate, surely those stats make a strong argument for 3 at the back?

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't convinced with his appointment at the time but I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed by the job he has done.

He has been in charge for 22 matches and has a win rate of almost 55%. That is the better than any Motherwell manager has ever managed (whilst I appreciate it is over a small number of matches to most and it's unlikely to maintain at that level).

We also have a squad of 20(ish) players who are all strong. There are no weak links in the squad and we won't feel the same impact with injuries/suspensions as we did under McGhee and McCall.

I've got a feeling that this team are going to achieve something...

• Like 1

I wasn't convinced with his appointment at the time but I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed by the job he has done.

He has been in charge for 22 matches and has a win rate of almost 55%. That is the better than any Motherwell manager has ever managed (whilst I appreciate it is over a small number of matches to most and it's unlikely to maintain at that level).

We also have a squad of 20(ish) players who are all strong. There are no weak links in the squad and we won't feel the same impact with injuries/suspensions as we did under McGhee and McCall.

I have the same feeling but I now wish we hadn't said it out loud

• Like 1

I think you're getting slightly carried away tbh. It's been a decent to good start but there are tough games ahead.

On the evidence so far we clearly have 3 stars in the team; Campbell, Kipre and Moult. Cadden could also fall into this caterogy but needs to work on varying his game.

But there are also a few players that I've been less with impressed with so far e.g. Rose, Tanner and Dunne. At this moment in time I would consider all 3 'weak links' but of course there's time for that to change.

Robinson has done a smashing job of getting rid of the dross, bringing the age of the squad down and bringing in a little bit of quality. However by his own admission it is only a start and it's not as if we have been sparkling in every game.

My own personal summary would be that it's a good job so far but with lots of work to do. The team spirit installed by Robinson has been masking our lack of quality in certain areas and that's a great thing for a club our size who don't have the budget to bring in more technically gifted players.

Decent start, nothing more.

But there are also a few players that I've been less with impressed with so far e.g. Rose, Tanner and Dunne. At this moment in time I would consider all 3 'weak links' but of course there's time for that to change.

It's all relative. Those three haven't been stand-outs in the way some of Robinson's other signings have been, but they've all had very good games at some point in the last few weeks. If this is the "weak links" of our squad, then compared to previous seasons weak links who have been in and around the first team then I'm absolutely fine with that.

• Like 2

Im just impressed we have a manager who has a clear plan and has executed it. Centre mid is stronger than the last few years, the team look fitter and are a lot more physically imposing. The new players have come in with a formation and style in mind.

Wasnt impressed with the appointment,and he has made a few errors, but overall Im more impressed by the guy every passing week

Robinson has done a smashing job of getting rid of the dross, bringing the age of the squad down and bringing in a little bit of quality. However by his own admission it is only a start and it's not as if we have been sparkling in every game.

My own personal summary would be that it's a good job so far but with lots of work to do. The team spirit installed by Robinson has been masking our lack of quality in certain areas and that's a great thing for a club our size who don't have the budget to bring in more technically gifted players.

Robinson has done a good job so far but its still early doors. He kept us in the Premiership with players he inherited and didn't fancy. Over the summer he's had a much needed clear out and brought in his own players. He can make selection/tactic mistakes like yesterday but unlike many other managers he's quick to change things if they don't work. Football tactics are very complicated, lets not forget. Don't be too quick to judge Rose, Dunne and Tanner. Tanner probably hasn't been playing in his best position; Rose does a lot of unglamorous spade work. I like Dunne but we simply can't judge him on yesterday's performance as he plainly wasn't well and shouldn't have started - although he's not as flamboyant as Hammell, he's a better defender.

In general I like the same attributes in a team that Robbo does; big, physical (but not dirty), athletic and quick. We've missed these qualities for years now and its good to see a manager bring those qualities back. Early days but so far so good.

I think you're getting slightly carried away tbh. It's been a decent to good start but there are tough games ahead.

On the evidence so far we clearly have 3 stars in the team; Campbell, Kipre and Moult. Cadden could also fall into this caterogy but needs to work on varying his game.

I'd agree that it's best not to get carried away. We should be beating the likes of Killie and Ross County at home if we want to not be in a relegation battle. Hearts were in a bit of disarray when we played them.

Having said that, given the number of changes made to the squad, do we have any right to expect to be beating teams of a comparable size at this stage of the season? Robinson should be commended for getting players in early enough and getting them to gel.

As for your assessment of individual players, like others I don't think Tanner, Rose and Dunne have done much wrong other than maybe not start as strongly as some of the others...

Maybe it was useful for SR to have experienced building an Oldham side last year, and failing. He may well have learned a lot from Oldham. It's no easy task to ship out a near entire squad then recruit another. I like the fact he has purposefully gone out to recruit young, fit grafters, who are wanted to come to Motherwell. He is the first manager we have had in a while who seems able to alter tactics when plan A doesn't work. There is evidence that his half time team talks are effective as we have now seen dramatic changes in performances for some second halves.

This squad are still coming together and there will be a few highs and lows over the coming weeks. However, I think there are clear signs SR has put together a side that can compete in the SPL and look capable of a top 6 finish. We can go to Easter Road next week with a bit of hope.

I was delighted when Steve got the job. Having a manager who is actively involved on the training ground to the level he is is a big plus. The building job he has had to do in such a short space of time with the budget constraints he has live with has been fantastic. With the help of flow and the rest of the club he has brought the team and the fans closer together than they have ever been, and he says this is only the beginning. Who knows where this may end up but let's just enjoy the ride without getting to carried away, and get him on longer contract as soon as possible because if he continues this way he will eventually attract attention from others.

I wasn't wholly convinced when we first appointed him, but I've now been won over. He seems to be a good man manager and that comes through from the players he's signed. In the past we've signed most players ostensibly on ability alone but now we're signing players for their character too. I think Robbo is asking questions of their competitiveness, attitude, team spirit etc. Just like Tom Wright at Perth has been doing.

It's all relative. Those three haven't been stand-outs in the way some of Robinson's other signings have been, but they've all had very good games at some point in the last few weeks. If this is the "weak links" of our squad, then compared to previous seasons weak links who have been in and around the first team then I'm absolutely fine with that.

I also think that although those haven't been standouts, they're still upgrades on what we had last season: Clay and Jules for example, who played regularly

That's a fair point, it is all relative and none of them so far are in the Zak Jules stratosphere.

However I would ask you what 'very good performances' they've put in the recent weeks? Rose was decent against St Johnstone but no more than that. Tanner I haven't seen have a good game yet and was atrocious away to Ross County in the cup. Dunne seems solid enough, although can't pass the ball, but certainly wouldn't say he's had very good games recently.

By the way, I realise I may be coming across as negative but that's totally not intended. I'm very positive about the future and it's clear to anyone with eyes that we've improved on last season. However, I'm also aware that some people seem to be getting a wee bit ahead of themselves. The 3 home games we've won should have all been winnable games.