S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

I've no particular drum to bang for Hughes, but the guy has got a great record in the Scottish game.

Got Falkirk promoted. Kept them in the top flight for 4 years. Got them to a cup final.

Hibs. Got them to 4th. Qualified for the Europa League Group stage.

ICT. Finished 3rd. Won the cup.

He might not be the most polished with the media, but he's had a fair amount of success at our level. And I remember a lot of passing teams under his watch.

• Like 1

Agreed weeyin. IMHO he would be a really good fit for us. I believe he'd be able to galvanise the club for the battle ahead - and don't be kidded otherwise, because it will be a battle and the players will have to learn fast how to scrap and might be able to cure some of the heart problems in our dressing room.

• Like 1

I've no particular drum to bang for Hughes, but the guy has got a great record in the Scottish game.

Got Falkirk promoted. Kept them in the top flight for 4 years. Got them to a cup final.

He might not be the most polished with the media, but he's had a fair amount of success at our level. And I remember a lot of passing teams under his watch.

We'd better hope Latapa joins him, if he gets the nod.

Both or none for me!

BBC gossip...

Motherwell will have a new manager in place for Saturday's meeting with St Johnstone after caretaker Stephen Robinson was interviewed on Monday and former Well midfielder Simo Valakari presenting his case later that afternoon.(The Herald)

Motherwell interim manager Stephen Robinson is "ready" to take on the Fir Park manager's job, according to compatriot and Northern Ireland head coach Michael O'Neill. (The Sun)

Unless I've missed something, and that's totally possible, the only thing connecting Hughes to the job are bookies odds. There's been no report that we've asked for permission to speak to him as far as I'm aware.

I don't think he's under contract at Raith, I believe he was brought in purely to the end of the season on a freelance role to steady the ship after Gary Locke. Not that he's steadied that ship much, they got hammered by Dumbarton on Saturday.

• Like 1

That is a fairly decent looking CV.

Yes he is a bit of a muppet, but I would not care if he can keep us up and take us forward.

They players can be referred to as a guid honest bunch o lads....

That is a fairly decent looking CV.

Yes he is a bit of a muppet, but I would not care if he can keep us up and take us forward.

They players can be referred to as a guid honest bunch o lads....

Except it only tells part of the story, if you look at Falkirk forums there's a generally held view that his management caused "long lasting damage" to the club while ICT fans aren't exactly enamoured with him given the way he left them with toys strewn all over the place and in a worse place than when he started, having fallen out with the board about the United job, taken the huff about budgets and by all accounts having shown how key Latapy was to their success.

With Motherwell's much heralded focus on youth development he hardly strikes as being a good fit in that respect either.

• Like 2

Jane Lewis said 5 would be interviewed. We now know 3, Robinson, Valakari and Hughes, all names that have been suggested on here. Guesses for the other two? I think Alan Stubbs would be a possibility but can't think of a fifth.

Where do you get Hughes has been interviewed?. From an article that says more interviews are to take place and the the next paragraph quotes he has been installed as bookies favourite leaving whoever to wrongly in my opinion to make a connection.

Just because it's the Motherwell Times doesn't make any more likely.

Where do you get Hughes has been interviewed?. From an article that says more interviews are to take place and the the next paragraph quotes he has been installed as bookies favourite leaving whoever to wrongly in my opinion to make a connection.

Just because it's the Motherwell Times doesn't make any more likely.

Absolutely. The Motherwell Times has run a couple of articles now that seem to have been based solely on bookies odds that people have mis-read as actual fact. Last week we had folk on here going on about how the "shortlist" was Robinson, Duffy, Coyle, Davies and Hughes based on this article that lifted the names from the bookies markets;

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/italian-superstar-ravanelli-ruled-out-of-motherwell-manager-s-job-1-4386526

I admit he's a bit smarter than he sounds but I've never been convinced by him. At Falkirk he had a reputation for getting them to play fine football but I saw little evidence of that. A Falkirk supporting work colleague, at the time, said he was baffled by that claim and it was down to a fawning media. At Starks Park he has a difficult job with Raith lying in 3rd bottom spot (maybe a bit similar to us) and he's done nothing so far.

So, to sum up I'm just not convinced of him. However, his name being in the ring may just be conjecture, nothing more.

Noticed this from Scott Mullen in the Evening Times:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15156008.Motherwell_set_to_have_new_manager_in_place_for_Saturday_s_visit_of_St_Johnstone/

Doesn't really say anything that's not already known. Names Robinson and Valikari, 3 interviews done, 2 still to go and only mentions Hughes in terms of the bookies market. However one thing that's referenced that I didn't realise was that Hughes applied for the job prior to McGhee being appointed in 2015, he'd obviously still have been at ICT at that point.

You can look at that a couple of ways I suppose. Firstly, he was overlooked in favour of McGhee which I guess could have been down to compensation that would have been due to ICT or maybe he didn't fit what we were looking for and secondly it was a job that was of interest to him while he was already at another club.

You can look at that a couple of ways I suppose. Firstly, he was overlooked in favour of McGhee which I guess could have been down to compensation that would have been due to ICT or maybe he didn't fit what we were looking for and secondly it was a job that was of interest to him while he was already at another club.

Quite telling I think. I wonder if loyalty / integrity will be a quality our Directors will be seeking.

Again we have to caveat our comments as Hughes' involvement is simply a rumour at this stage.

One thing about Hughes is that he does seem to hold a genuine affection for Motherwell.

No idea why but I've heard him on many occasions on the Radio and TV bigging the club/fans and area up!! I think he is grasping on to the tough working man ethic the town and area had many years ago prior to it being swamped by Junkie/dole-ite/ workshy scroungers.

Still don't want him tho - or Robinson - or Valikari or Craigan or Pressley......it must be the first time I have absolutely no excitement or enthusiasm for a new manager.

Bring back Davie Hay.

Noticed this from Scott Mullen in the Evening Times:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15156008.Motherwell_set_to_have_new_manager_in_place_for_Saturday_s_visit_of_St_Johnstone/

Doesn't really say anything that's not already known. Names Robinson and Valikari, 3 interviews done, 2 still to go and only mentions Hughes in terms of the bookies market. However one thing that's referenced that I didn't realise was that Hughes applied for the job prior to McGhee being appointed in 2015, he'd obviously still have been at ICT at that point.

It would surprise you who did... Gary Locke whilst in the employment of Kilmarnock?