S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Who would you say at Motherwell left with reputation intact?

Davie Hay - turned his back on a new contract for a fake job in the US?

Tommy McLean - walked away after falling out with the Board over budgets

Alex McLeish - oversaw the demise of a good squad

Terry Butcher - lied about his "holidays" in Australia then walked out during the season

Craig Brown - only talking to Aberdeen as a courtesy

Stuart McCall - walked away because he lost the team and ran out of ideas?

etc. etc.

There isn't a single manager we have had that we couldn't find many faults with.

Reputation? How relevant is that in the selection process, and if you do take it in account whose view do you take into account and to what extent? It's an interesting question.

weeyin has listed the reputation as perceived by Motherwell fans at the point of departure. We've read about the reputation of Coyle from the Blackburn fan, Robinson from an Oldham and anecdotal evidence from friends and acquaintances of Inverness fans and so on.

But that reputation held by fans might be somewhat different from those who worked with him, managed against him or depending upon what spin is used by those influence in the media. For example the ex 'Well managers reputations could just as easily be.

David Hay - Took Motherwell back into the top flight at the first attempt after two years of failure previously.

Tommy McLean - First Motherwell manager to win the Scottish Cup in 39 years. First Motherwell manager to take his team into Europe

Terry Butcher - Galvanised a team in administration. Brought through a crop of youngsters that would earn the club close to £3m and recover its financial position.

Craig Brown - Took a team into Europe and left them sitting in the top six when he moved on.

Stuart McCall - Three successive top three finishes and a Scottish Cup Final.

I suppose all it confirms for me that reputation only goes so far, there is a huge amount that has to be considered when any managerial appointment is made and reputation is just one small part of that consideration.

• Like 3

Hughes is not my cup of tea despite his achievements at Falkirk, Inverness and to a lesser extent Hibs. The shift in odds yesterday suggested to me that someone had wind of him getting an interview, which may well be the case. I very much doubt he'll get the job though. Publicly slating his current squad a few weeks into the Raith Rovers job is unlikely to impress any interview panel.

From our fearless leader on the twitter:

"Still going through the process, ... Making sure we get 'under the bonnet' with all candidates."

bonnet.jpg

Wouldn't be adverse to Hughes tbh but hope we pull a rabbit out the hat on this occasion as some of the names being banded about are uninspiring.

Do you have a source?

Crikey - we are all on tenterhooks !

My looking likely comment was in relation to your comments about The Hat being as reliable as Mitch. I think that is down to poor eyesight and not being able to tell what is a photoshop on Facebook (sorry Philip) rather than the great unveiling of Yogi as our next Manager.

As stated earlier there were reputedly 5 candidates interviewed and we only seem to know 3. So could be a surprise yet !!

In terms of Yogi, I think I'm very much in the "underwhelming, but I can see why he might do a good job" camp. Certainly not the kind of appointment to get anyone's blood pumping (but then, I don't think there's been anyone linked with the job who would do that anyway) but there's no arguing he's achieved a good deal in Scottish football given the clubs he's managed. Wouldn't be shouting for him to be given it, but if he is appointed I don't think I'd be overly disappointed.

I'm really not sure though where the frustration and claims of the club's search being a shambles have come from though. I'm not sure how long on average a football club takes to name a new gaffer after a sacking, but as far as I can see we've spent last week looking at CVs and putting together a shortlist, and half of this week interviewing folk with - it appears - an appointment before Saturday. Unless I'm missing something, I don't really understand how that translates to being either chaotic or dragging on in some way. I think it's more just a symptom of the anticipation and uncertainty among the support, rather than any real sign that it's anything other than a standard process.

I would say pretty much from all the conjecture and fantasy on here combined with uninformed reports in the papers etc spouting forth rubbish. if you are exposed to all that it can appear that we don;t know whatthe hell we are doing til you actually think about it and realise that we have no factual information on how the club are actually handling this situation. As you and some others have mentioned, these things take time to be done properly. I have no issue with the club in the length of time they are taking and no comment on how they are doing it since I have no information on that to base any comments on.

bit of a strange appointment,i thought if we were going to go with robinson it would have been to the end of the season,see where we finish and then go from there.best of luck to him but im far from convinced hes the answer in the short term never mind going forward after that.