S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Robinson has an audition on Saturday for the remainder of season; if we get result and players can prove capable of getting their act together (and it would take some trust, although in Robinsons favour he will know more than most outsiders), then we could take more time to consider getting the permanent manager for end of season, just in time to give it a good clear out.

Thoughts on Billy mckinley? He was mooted before baraclough got the job

What has he actually achieved in his managerial career? For some reason, managers with experience in England are relatively well thought of up here irrespective of what they've actually achieved. To some extent names like Billy Davies and Owen Coyle are in the same boat. In the short term we need a good man manager; someone with a track record to dig us out of the hole we're in. Not necessarily someone who has won a trophy. There are different kinds of managers; some need money and lots of it to succeed whilst others wouldn't know how what to do with it if they were given it but can work on a shoestring. I also don't fancy one of the Scottish Old Boys network like Jim Duffy. Like many I know who I don't want but don't know who I do want. Although not a popular stereotype I'd go for someone like Tom Wright, a guy who can take ordinary players and organise and motivate them. I know he way out of our league incidentally.

From the scant comments made by the club it would appear they have someone or some names in mind.

Posted elsewhere on this site that Alan Burrows prefers a DoF model but finances don't allow it at a club like ourselves currently.

According to reports? It's been talked about and posted on here since the start of the season who made the recruitment decisions. Also mentioned at the AGM.

COO, not CEO, by the way.

Hence why I said variation of the model.

Someone has to take responsibility for the squad development. I'd be happy to see Flow, Leitch and A.N. Other take on a type of Liverpool transfer committee role.

You've seen me moan often enough about the decision to award eight playing contracts to guys aged thirty-two plus. A staggering decision in the modern game.

I don't want the club to bully or impose players on managers. Equally I don't want managers having a free reign on the football side. Those days are long gone, due to clubs being saddled with woeful squads such as ours.

Chuckle

I was wrong. But I think a lot of Motherwell fans felt that we simply wouldn't sack McGhee. I confess that part of me is still a bit surprised. But as one Celtic supporting friend put it to me "when they're out protesting at the front door, you know something has got to give.."

As to recent names mentioned, I'd be surprised if Coyle was interested and I'd be astounded if we were in for someone quite as inexperienced as McCulluch given our precarious situation...

Jim Duffy slating the well society in the Sun without a clue what he's actually talking about.

I didn't get the support for him but he's out the running now anyway.

Was just going to post that his job application won't sit well.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/655450/forget-passion-and-emotion-motherwell-board-should-make-the-big-calls-over-a-managers-future-not-the-fans-says-jim-duffy/

MOTHERWELL sacked Mark McGhee after their consultation with fans’ group The Well Society.

Call me old school, but I think the board, and only the board, should make the decision where a manager’s future is concerned.

nintchdbpict000274941291-e1488314551478.
PA:PRESS ASSOCIATION
Well boss McGhee got sacked after Fir Park board had a meeting with fans group

If a boss is to lose his job, then the decision should be based on football and business — not passion and emotion.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

But that is the risk you run when fans are invited into the boardroom.

Emotion when it comes to football sometimes over-rides commonsense. You have to take the passion out of it.

The directors have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

I’m not for one minute saying you shouldn’t listen to the fans. They are the lifeblood of every football club.

But ultimately the board know, or should know, best what is going on within the four walls of the club.

Fans are not privy to a lot of that knowledge. Sometimes they want change for the sake of it.

You must allow the directors to make those decisions. Fans HAVE to trust the board, and believe they are taking the club in the right direction.

If the board feel the manager has to be changed then fine. That is their call.

nintchdbpict000304648532.jpg?strip=all&w
NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LTD
A group of Well supporters held a protest against McGhee after 5-1 loss to Dundee and demanded he be axed as boss

Fans will always have their say, and rightly so. There are so many forums for them now to voice their opinion now.

They have a million avenues and opportunities to say what they think.

But I don’t feel they should be allowed into the boardroom. That should be sacrosanct.

The news regarding McGhee didn’t come as a huge surprise.

McGhee alluded to the fact he was under pressure after losing heavily at home to to Dundee last weekend.

If you lose badly at home on the back of a 7-2 loss at Pittodrie then invariably negative speculation will start to mount.

McGhee said as much and realised he was under pressure, his premonition was right. Sometimes you can be surprised, but I think most managers realise themselves when the writing is on the wall.

Once the balance tips against you it can be difficult to readdress that — even if you are an experienced boss like McGhee.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter what you do, it just doesn’t work. It has nothing to do with knowledge or ability, because McGhee is the most experienced boss in Scottish football.

nintchdbpict0003012339881-e1488314536164
NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LTD
Duffy wasn’t surprised at McGhee getting the axe

He has a fantastic understanding of the game, but sometimes you just can’t stop the rot.

Change always seems to be the answer, and that really baffles me.

Of course, I am always going to side with the manager. I understand the amount of work they put in.

Every aspect of the football club is laid at their door.

Managers can never sit back and relax because there is always the next match to come.

But players are judged differently.

If they are having a sticky spell they can either be left out of the team, or the gaffer can stick with them, and keep instilling the belief they can eventually turn the corner.

I find that article just a bizarre thing for Duffy to write.

If he's against the idea of fan-ownership as a whole, then fair enough - plenty are. But I don't recall him ever saying as much in the past. So to claim suddenly that "fans in the board room" is wrong because Mark McGhee got the sack just seems to suggest it's a case of either the Managers Union from Duffy, or he was just struggling for something to focus on in this week's column.

Additionally, it seems daft to start the article claiming supporters shouldn't be involved because it leads to "emotion and passion" being involved in decisions that require logic - therefore suggesting sacking McGhee was an incorrect decision, the result of fan involvement - and then go on to say the writing was on the wall and the decision was expected.

Quite a disappointing article given he seemed a pretty decent candidate for the job in my opinion. He seems to have attempted to write something he doesn't really have any clue about, and has ended up just producing a pretty strange, misguided rant as a result.

I retract my post from last night touting him for the job!

• Like 2

Looks like the media have no idea who is going to be McGhee's replacement...

Owen Coyle, sacked last month by Blackburn Rovers, and Kilmarnock caretaker Lee McCulloch have emerged as early contenders for the Motherwell manager's job after the sacking of Mark McGhee.(The Sun)

Former Motherwell midfielder Simo Valakari, presently head coach of Finnish club SJK, has staked an early claim to be the Fir Park club's new manager following the sacking of Mark McGhee. (The Herald)

Greenock Morton manager Jim Duffy, former Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs and former Motherwell midfielder Simo Valakari are among the early favourites to succeed Mark McGhee as team manager at Fir Park. (The Scotsman, print edition)

Stephen Robinson is in pole position to become the permanent Motherwell manager after being named caretaker only two weeks after returning to Fir Park as first-team coach under the now sacked Mark McGhee. (Daily Record)

Owen Coyle, sacked last month by Blackburn Rovers, and Kilmarnock caretaker Lee McCulloch have emerged as early contenders for the Motherwell manager's job after the sacking of Mark McGhee.(The Sun)

Former Motherwell midfielder Simo Valakari, presently head coach of Finnish club SJK, has staked an early claim to be the Fir Park club's new manager following the sacking of Mark McGhee. (The Herald)

Greenock Morton manager Jim Duffy, former Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs and former Motherwell midfielder Simo Valakari are among the early favourites to succeed Mark McGhee as team manager at Fir Park. (The Scotsman, print edition)

Stephen Robinson is in pole position to become the permanent Motherwell manager after being named caretaker only two weeks after returning to Fir Park as first-team coach under the now sacked Mark McGhee. (Daily Record)

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/657463/simo-valakari-says-hes-more-ready-than-ever-to-be-motherwell-boss-after-mark-mcghees-sacking/

Did any of them cite the source as Steelmenonline.co.uk?? Cause that's exactly where all these stories have come from.

• Like 1

I always tend to ignore the early speculation as when we're concerned, a name mentioned in the first couple of days never seems to get the job.

I thought at first that Steve Robinson would become caretaker and after a few weeks we would give it to him on an extended interim basis, the cheap option and there might have been an element of that thinking when bringing him back. However, the statement when McGhee was sacked led me to believe that he won't be getting it with the way it was worded.

Lee McCulloch- I would like to think that was a product of mind games for Saturday but don't think we're clever enough for that. He's a non starter.

Owen Coyle- comes with a reputation and I liked him as a player but has ultimately failed in every job he has taken since leaving Burnley in 2010.

Alan Stubbs- Done well to reach two cup finals with Hibs, obviously winning one, which would be great for us, but not managing to get out of that league twice or even reach the playoff final with the resources- at his disposal- worrying. Add to that, he didn't last long at Rotherham. Is there any real evidence to backup him being that good a manager? The man in charge when the phrase "hibsed" took off doesn't fill you with great confidence.

Simo Valakari- has won all there is to win in Finland as far as I believe, but our last attempt at a successful Finnish manager came back to bite us. Would harbour good feeling among most fans, but still would be a gamble.

Jim Duffy- Has worked wonders at Morton and I had heard whispers he had put his name in the ring, but if he has, that article today is a very strange one to write, so I guess he can be ruled out.

I guess our next appointment is a tough one to balance. Between now and May, we need a motivator who can get the best out of this group of players to keep us in the division. However, beyond May, we really need a man with an eye for a player, as many players in our current squad are either ageing or lacking in ability and need to be adequately replaced going forward. Getting a hybrid of the two at short notice might be a tough ask.