Scottish Premiership Motherwell V St Johnstone Sat 18 Mar 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I think it's always easier to let the forwards off, especially Moult and McDonald who work their socks off week in week out trying to cover for the lack of creativity from midfield this season. However, both should have scored some of those chances today.

All in all, I'm a little hopeful after that. Same defensive mistakes but we looked like a genuine attacking threat today, which was a refreshing change.

I think Samson was highly culpable for both goals today. Not alone, but he had an especially shaky game today.

Even the best forwards miss chances and both Moult and McDonald are in double figures for the season. In fact McDonald became our joint highest scorer in the Premier League era today.

From midfield back we just don't defend properly. We don't have great players but we should not be giving away the types of goal that we are.

What I am looking for is for defenders to defend better and midfielder to contribute better both defensively and offensively. If we go down this season there won't be many teams have been relegated with two strikers scoring 20 goals+ between them..

One of the reasons mistakes are costing us so dearly is no one is covering for their mates. Every individual is a last line of defence and if they make an error we are fucked. That's not how you defend.

This is very true. There were two or three times today it looked like we were going to win a corner and I looked down/away and by the time I refocused about two seconds later it transpired that a Saints defender had worked their bollocks off to prevent it. I thought St Johnstone were pretty ordinary today, but their workrate and organisation is as good as anyone's (including Celtic).

If you are one of the absolute morons who decide it's a good idea to sarcastically clap and cheer when the goalkeeper catches the ball or makes a save, you should he ashamed of yourself.

Is he the guy we want in goals? No. But how on earth is crucifying his confidence going to help Motherwell F.C in any way whatsoever?

Exactly. It doesn't help him and it doesn't help the guys in front of him. Samson isn't the best goalie in the division but he is better than some we have had and for some reason folks just don't seem to like him. He certainly isn't the reason we are where we are and the stick he gets is totally unjustified and unwarranted.

Also while I'm on my high horse, if you actually genuinely thought he could have come for the cross at the first ball, you are clearly looking to blame him. The cross was an outswinger and about 8 yards out from him at least, had he come he was 80-20 to miss it and give Craig an absolute free hit and he certainly wasn't getting to a second ball.

He maybe could have done better at the second one but there was only one guy back who missed a pretty easy header. If he was to blame at all, proportionately it was more from the defence.

My thoughts -

Can't argue that Robinson has got at least an extra 20% out of the players. We wouldn't have put a shift like that under McGhee so credit to the new gaffer for that.

Also, for all those who feared defensive tactics - we had 5 (6 including pearson) attack minded players on for the last 25 minute. Also, can't say he's not afraid to change it.

We were always at risk of losing a sloppy goal with our patchwork defence - particularly when we were chucking men forward.

If we put a shift like that in against Accies, Partick and Inverness should see us pick up enough points there to climb to safety.

Samson is The No1 culprit for me. Rooted to his line, flaps at crosses when he does come and would rather try to punch or palm rather than catch. I understand catching can be difficult if you have a fear of getting it wrong. But you will get it wrong a lot less times than this punch, parry shit. Once you have the ball release it quickly turning defence to attack. I've watched teams do it to us all season.

Instead of a quick throw with pacy build up. We have the big hoof up the park to McDonald and Moult

• Like 2

Be interesting to see it back but my angle was that it hit the post came back out and hit keeper on back which sent it near goal line before it was cleared!

Definitely did come off the inside of the post before teasing us. Shame no-one had the gumption to go after the ball instead of watching it.... but to be fair it looked in all the way.

Samson must, must be dropped if we are to have any chance in this league. I'd quite happily put in a substantial amount to a pot to pay him off immediately. Or alternatively, hire a hitman. Either works.

I am not Samson fan . But is the back up any better? Not from what I hear. Let's not turn it into another 'he must be better' Luke Watt scenario. Or a drop McManus 'he must be better scenario'. Or a drop Tait 'hr must be....You get the jist.

Even the best forwards miss chances and both Moult and McDonald are in double figures for the season. In fact McDonald became our joint highest scorer in the Premier League era today.

Please don't take my post as slating Moult and McDonald, it certainly wasn't meant that way. They are the only reason we're still scrapping away rather than being adrift at the bottom. I was simply responding to the earlier observation that forwards get an easier ride than defenders and goalies from fans. Normally I'd expect them to score the chances they missed today, that was all.

On another day we'd have been out of sight of an average St Johnstone side.

Those two have been feeding off scraps all season and today was the first time that it's genuinely looked like we just might have someone who can provide them the service they need in Frear, and a manager who will set us up to get the ball to them in a dangerous area.

Samson is utter shite and the sooner hes gone the better but having said that im not sure bringing in a young keeper in our predicament is a wise move.samson has been piss poor all season and everyone could see that (well apart from mcghee)theres no way we should have found ourselves left with the choice of samson and an inexperienced keeper,and the buck stops with mcghee for that.

I am not Samson fan . But is the back up any better? Not from what I hear. Let's not turn it into another 'he must be better' Luke Watt scenario. Or a drop McManus 'he must be better scenario'. Or a drop Tait 'hr must be....You get the jist.

The defence has zero confidence in him, as evidenced today. McHugh would probably take the gloves off him and go in goals himself if he could.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Pearson's performance or non performance, I am sorry but I think he is not the same player as last season and deserves to be dropped.

The referee did us no favours the day, but that's what happens when you are in the bottom half of the league.

I also have to give St Johnstone credit as they are well organised team and it shows they don't leak many goals

I came away from that today fearing for the first time that we will be relegated.

We were very unlucky . How many shots were blocked by bodies in the first half?

I thought McDonald should have had a penalty when Frear skinned them and crossed. Then McDonald and Cadden missed good chances before we equalised.

Our defensive frailties are there for everyone to see. McManus and Tait appear to be out long term and only Heneghan is due back. McHugh is doing well at CB but is missed in midfield. Ferguson was exposed, Jules still has the jury out and Hammell is injured and done.

When the header hit the post and rolled along the line that was the moment I thought we will go down.

We have a defence that will give goals way and an attack that misses chances and we don't seem to have any luck.

From McDonald and McHugh out for 21/2 games for tackles that might with another ref have only been yellow cards to disallowed goals at Partick and Dundee and the fixture fiasco that has seen us have three away games at Pittodrie, Ibrox and Parkhead I just think that it is fate and in the stars that we will go down.

How I hope I am wrong.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Pearson's performance or non performance, I am sorry but I think he is not the same player as last season and deserves to be dropped.

The referee did us no favours the day, but that's what happens when you are in the bottom half of the league.

I also have to give St Johnstone credit as they are well organised team and it shows they don't leak many goals

Agree with Pearson. Forgot he was on the park at times, which is very out of character.

St Johnstone did soak up a lot of pressure. It's the first feeling of a 'siege' I think I've had at Fir Park and to their credit they mopped it all up nicely.

What do folk make of that starting 11? Lucas nowhere in sight once again. Not that he's our "great white hope" but I'm just not a fan of Clay.

Neither am I and the first half didnt change my opinion however in fairness I thought he was excellent after the break

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'd just like to drop him for the sheer amount of times he's had the ball put past him in particular over the last 4-6 games

Will there ever be a time we try someone else in goals or is samson untouchable?

Understand your frustration as I dont rate him either but we have no one else. The loanee from Everton has not impressed in the U20s and there is only one other kid keeper so blame the previous manager for taking a chance on a crocked Brill. Sarcastic cheering when he does catch the ball is moronic in my opinion and only makes things worse

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Keep playing Samson and we are doomed. Sorry but he doesn't inspire confidence. For 2nd goal he could have communicated with Ferguson.....After that almost cost another howler. If players were desperate for Robinson to get job then that scares me as after it went 2-1 there was no fight until injury time.

Yeah, I agree. I've seen criticism of Ferguson for it, and I get that, but to me, any keeper should be communicating with their defender (especially a young, inexperienced one) and coming to claim that. It also smacked of Ferguson going to deal with the cross rather than his man, because he knew Samson wouldn't deal with it.

Technical ability is one thing, but we keep being let down by basic things like simple communication. I really, really miss Randolph. Even Ripley wasn't shy about yelling when needed.