The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I'm pretty confident we won't get what we want and he'll be here next season.

Unless he hits a hot streak from here, his value will be lower than the club would want it to be.

I think he has been asked to play through the pain barrier too often and the clear lack of creativity around him have held him back.

I know the club said they were working on a new deal for Moult, surely it's also in his interest to work hard for another season and see what transpires.

• Like 1

From the Evening Express https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/aberdeen-miles-storey-summer/

ABERDEEN STRIKER MILES STOREY LINKED WITH SUMMER PITTODRIE EXIT

Two Premiership clubs are reported to be weighing up a move for Dons forward Miles Storey.

Dundee and Motherwell have both been linked with the former Swindon striker, who has been used sparingly this season.

Storey scored 13 times for Inverness in 37 games last season and signed a pre-contract agreement to join Aberdeen.

Since then, playing time has proved difficult to come by for the 23-year-old as he has just one goal in 16 appearances (two starts) this campaign.

Storey was linked with a move back to Inverness in January, as well as a switch to Kilmarnock, but nothing came of that speculation.

Also the Herald carrying a story yesterday on Lasley, http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15169701.__39_I__39_ll_not_hang_around_Motherwell_team_if_I__39_m_not_contributing___39__says_captain_Keith_Lasley/

'I'll not hang around Motherwell team if I'm not contributing,' says captain Keith Lasley
6136518.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

x

1 day ago / Scott Mullen, Group Sports Writer

IT is not by chance that Keith Lasley has lasted through more Dynasties than Joan Collins.

The grey hair atop the Motherwell captain’s head is not the only nod to the longevity and contribution of a man well into his 38th year who has now worked under 11 managers during his time at Fir Park. The white armband that is tightly wrapped around his right bicep tells an even bigger tale.

First brought to Motherwell in 1999 by Billy Davies, Lasley – apart from a two-year stint at Plymouth - has been an almost constant presence to those who still cling desperately to this claret and amber rollercoaster through relegation scares and Champions League qualifiers.

It is impossible to say the name of the man supporters affectionately refer to as ‘the housewives' favourite’ without then immediately linking him to the club he has and continues to serve to this day. Given that influence, it has not been an easy couple of weeks for Lasley as Motherwell prepare to go through another period of transition.

Under new manager Stephen Robinson, and including Mark McGhee’s last game in charge, the midfielder has only played one half at Rugby Park before he was replaced as his team then went on to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win.

It is perhaps only natural given this absence, combined with his years, some supporters have started bracing themselves that Lasley’s time at Fir Park, at least as a player, may not be far away.

“It is about me trying to persuade the manager I can still do a job on the pitch. I’ve got a good relationship with him. I’ll still be training hard and trying to get myself back in the team,” he said.

“I want to contribute any way I can. What’s more important to me is that this club prospers and gets itself up this division. I’m convinced I can still play a part in that.

“I’m honest enough, in fact I think we’ve got a good honest group of older players. We’re all thinking of what’s best for the football club. We know ourselves that if we felt we weren’t making a contribution then we’d look at what’s best for the club.

“Personally, I wouldn’t want to do the club a disservice by hanging about and not making a contribution. That will be foremost in my mind.”

Lasley recalls that game at Rugby Park earlier this month where he was removed, adding: “It’s not nice being taken off at any time. But again, as much as it was, you have to remember we went on to win the game.

“Yes, it was hard to take. I’m not going to tell you I enjoyed that experience. Of course I didn’t. But the manager explained his decisions clearly and honestly. That’s how he’s going to be with the players — no matter if you’ve played 500 games, like [steven] Hammell or myself, or five games like a young boy coming into the team.”

Former Motherwell manager Mcghee and the current Scotland No.2 once said Lasley was one of the best Scottish players never to be capped by his nation. It is somewhat poetic then that he will be at Hampden this Sunday ahead of the World Cup qualifier with Slovenia to collect his Pro-Licence coaching award.

It will be a proud moment for the Motherwell captain, but a qualification he is not considering using just yet.

“It’s a proud achievement because it is a lot of work and involves a lot of detail,” he said. “I’m proud to have passed it and I’m looking forward to getting the award next week.

“In football you can only plan so much. Obviously I’ve been planning for a long time in terms of my coaching qualifications and things like that.

“I recently completed my Pro-licence and things like that. But, you can only plan so much.

“Right now I’m still concentrating on contributing for Motherwell on the pitch. That’s my sole purpose at this moment.”

KEITH LASLEY spoke out in support as Supporters Direct Scotland launched it’s annual Scottish Football Supporters Survey for 2017.

This year’s survey is online at www.scottishsupporters.net/survey until April 2.

If Ainsworth does go I can see a few Scottish Premiership clubs vying for his signature. The likes of Dundee, Partick or Killie could potentially offer him a deal.

Assuming he's happy in Scotland that would make sense. He'll never be Mr. Consistent, but let him play in his natural position and he will do a job.

Story is a load of pish. Lasley has barely contributed the last 3 seasons and has still signed contract extensions!

• Like 1

On Ainsworth - he has maybe been hard done by a little bit and I have always been a fan. But at the end of the day, Cadden has been keeping him out the team for the majority of the time and quite rightly. Ainsworth has been tried elsewhere on the pitch and can't do a job. So, as one of the higher earners, can only play one position but still not defend well enough in it, about to turn 30 I think it's best he moves on an we invest elsewhere. If Cadden goes, or we intend to play him centrally, then perhaps there could be an argument.

Most SPFL teams know what he is about now and can defend against him fairly well. So...I fully expect him to go to one of them and rip us to shreds with our slow full backs!

Ainsworth is now a luxury we simply cannot afford. He is on decent money, by our standards, and we are getting no kind of return whatsoever. Even half a dozen goals and a hatful of assists between now and the end of the season would only beg the question why can he not be more consistent? He is a very good player on his day, and I do not blame him for our situation now, but if he is drinking in the last chance saloon, they have just rang the bell for last orders.

Story is a load of pish. Lasley has barely contributed the last 3 seasons and has still signed contract extensions!

Nah, there's been plenty of streaks during that time where he's been out and we've turned to even more shit.

Looks like that's Kieran Kennedy away according to the man himself on twitter. Thanking everyone for their messages and wishing the club good luck for the rest of the season.

On the club website now too:

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/03/23/kieran-kennedy-statement/

Motherwell FC can today confirm Kieran Kennedy has left the club by mutual consent.

The 23-year old has had a difficult time with injuries this term, his last appearance in Claret and Amber coming against Celtic back in May of 2016.

Kennedy asked to leave the club in order to try and continue his career in the semi-professional ranks south of the border and the club has allowed him to move on.

Kieran, who joined from Leicester City in the summer of 2015 after coming through the youth ranks at Man City, played twenty-five times for ‘Well.

Everyone at the club would like to thank Kieran for his efforts whilst at Fir Park and wish him luck and success in his future career.

All the best to Kennedy, looked like the kind of defender we needed when he first signed but seemed to lose his way. Always more difficult for a young defender to come through in a losing team, especially a team with the defensive problems we have!

Do you mean it's not some sort of Russian fake news conspiracy as suggested by some social media rants? The chief exec posted on twitter that he's reading Rudy guilliani's biography, so I just thought we'd got rid of Kennedy because he knew too much.

I notice David Templeton has got a short term contract at Accies. Might it be worth watching to see if he can stay fit and find form with a view to replacing Ainsworth in the summer?

I see what you mean but I hope he has an absolute shite time of it and takes they beggars down with him

• Like 4

This doesn't really fit in the other threads, but I'm interested in figuring out what kind of squad we could have come the end of the season, and what holes we will need to fill, and how we may approach that if we go down.

As far as I'm aware the following are all out of contract, not including the u20s:

Lasley, Kennedy, Moore, Ainsworth, Pearson, Faddy, Lucas, Samson, McDonald, sub goalie, Jules, chalmers - Would we bring any of these back?

1 more year - clay? Blyth? bowman, Moult, Hammel, McManus? Thomas - any extension possibilities?

Don't know - cadden, frear, heneghan, mchugh, tait

With the likelihood that our front two won't see next season at fir park, it looks like we will have bowman and someone. Will Mackin be an option?

In midfield we have mchugh and clay, with maybe cadden if he isn't sold, then add Campbell, hastie and Mclean from the u20s.

Defense looks worst though, with Hammel still under contract and as injury prone as he is now, we need a viable lb option.

My assumption is that if we go down we will push the u20s into the team, but maybe we should do that anyway?

Lasley - will probably join backroom staff

Kennedy - I kinda like Kennedy, he's physical, strong and good in the air, you can't imagine he would get bullied by Boyd, Sammon or even Dougie Imrie unlike some, needs to improve the more cerebral side of his game. However, a whole season out is difficult to come back from. Would need to know more about his condition. [EDIT - OK, just found out more on his condition!]

Moore - Should have been let go last time.

Ainsworth - Tough one. Has been a shadow of the player he was in the first two seasons and yet he's still one of our better players in terms of end results. Tend to fall on the 'his time has been' side.

Pearson - Underwhelming so far on his return needs to put in a good run of form to the end of the season to get a further deal....if he even wants one.

McFadden - Playing days seem over and his assistant manager role seems in doubt.

Lucas - Get rid.

Samson - Get rid.

Chalmers - Get rid.

Jules - Get rid.

McDonald - One of only three players we have who are Top 6 quality and in my opinion BY FAR our most important player. Will almost certainly move on next season and he will be a huge loss.

I wouldn't be against having a look at Devlin if Accies go down. Depending on how well McManus recovers we could be looking for at least two centrebacks in the summer.

I'm sure I read Aberdeen are after Devlin, but if there's any chance of us getting him I think we could do a lot worse.

I'm sure I read Aberdeen are after Devlin, but if there's any chance of us getting him I think we could do a lot worse.

Don't think we'd have much chance of Devlin. I don't even think we'd have much chance of getting someone like Peter Grant at Falkirk.

• Andy_P locked this topic