The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

If we get an offer north of £250k for him I'd take the money. I thought he had a decent start to the season but hasn't improved in any aspect of his game since and I'm now of the opinion he just isn't that great. Could be down to the players around him etc but I think we could get someone equally capable who's out of contract at the end of the season.

Edit - Just saw he only has 1 year left. Any 6-figure offer should be considered.

Heneghan arrived at Motherwell with a half decent reputation so I imagine a few English scouts have been monitoring him for some time.

He's had a tough few months, particularly since we moved to a back 3 but I was initially impressed with him and I can see why teams would be willing to take a punt.

If the Rangers interest is genuine, I wonder if a swap deal could be on offer as they are looking to offload a number of contracted players.

Whilst acknowledging Cardiff and Reading are mentioned in the report my immediate reaction was that Rangers must have season tickets to sell. I expect he'll be one of about a hundred linked with them over the next couple of months.

I don't get the dislike for Ben, I think he's pretty decent but is just playing in a shite team with no protection in front or either side. He's left pretty exposed.

I would like to keep him.

I kinda of agree, then I kind of think he's part of a shite team.

I wouldn't be upset if we lost Heneghan. He's slow, makes poor decisions and his distribution is awful. Not that much of an upgrade on Kennedy or Laing in my opinion.

I think that pretty much nails it. I'd add that for someone of his size he seems to get bullied if he's up against a target man while he often get caught out with runs off his shoulder if he's playing against someone with a bit of pace (or Kenny Miller).

Even his positive attributes where he's throwing himself into tackles and making blocks he's having to do a lot of that because he's getting caught out of position. He doesn't seem a particularly adaptable or intelligent footballer IMO and I'd say it'd be up for debate how much room there is to develop him further. He's almost certainly not going to turn into a £1m+ centre half while he's at Fir Park.

When it comes down to it if a club who had maybe scouted him before and wanted to take a punt on him and give us some cash then it'd be a definite result for us.

• Like 1

To an extent I think Heneghan and some others have been victims of poor management; should we expect a guy to come from non-league and start every SPFL game?

A gradual introduction, similar to what we would hope to see with more of the 20s, may have been more effective for his development and to the club in the long run.

Lets be Honest if Rangers come in with a bid for Heneghan of £500 K or more if you believe the Daily record, then the financial position we are in we can't turn it down, especially for a player we brought in for next to nothing.

Lets be Honest if Rangers come in with a bid for Heneghan of £500 K or more if you believe the Daily record, then the financial position we are in we can't turn it down, especially for a player we brought in for next to nothing.

Yes, but if the Daily Record reported a six figure offer from Rangers Id be very sceptical. In reality that would probably mean £100,000 in staged payments including a whole list of adons. Any rejection would upset a large part of our support, which is exactly what the story would be designed to do. Currently hes suffering from a lack of experience beside him.

Not a chance anyone's offering us £500k or more for a centre half who's only got a year left on his deal and has been part of a defence that's conceded an average of 1.85 goals per game. We'd do well to get £150k or thereabouts IMO.

For the love of God, copy and past the article text, not just the link as it gives that rag more hits and it's a tad kinder to your peers on here.

Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha linked with move for Motherwell centre-half Ben Heneghan Ibrox club reportedly showing interest Fir Park defender as Pedro Caixinha looks to rebuild his back line after telling Clint Hill and Phillipe Senderos they won't be offered new deals

• Like 4

Hadn't realised he had suffered such a bad injury. Him and O'Donnell used to always catch the eye when I seen Thistle.

Just having a browse through the players whose contracts are up at the end of the season and I see O'Donnell is out of contract with Luton as well. Different position obviously but given we're currently having to play one of our best midfielders at right back it'd suggest there's not the depth there we might have thought.

Christophe Berra would be a perfect signing to give the experience we are (in the nicest way possible) hopefully going to lose at the end of the season.

He's apparently keen on a move back to Scotland, unfortunately he'd probably be out out price range?

Berra? :laugh:

Experience, whilst reducing the average age of the squad should be the outlook.

He's younger than Hammell, Lasley, McManus, Pearson and Mcdonald.

Other than his wages being an issue, I'd sign him and make him captain.

He's younger than Hammell, Lasley, McManus, Pearson and Mcdonald.

Other than his wages being an issue, I'd sign him and make him captain.

I'm glad you aren't part of the scouting network. Only person for captain and a squad rebuild around him would be Carl McHugh for me.

• Like 7

• Andy_P locked this topic