The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

On this I'm pleased to see for the most part there's been an acknowledgement that things sometimes just don't out work for whatever reason rather than berating the club.

There are also plenty examples of players who have enjoyed a purple patch or are stand outs at a particular club or a particular level in the game and have struggled to replicate that whenever they've got that big move and they eventually return to their "comfort zone". It remains to be seen whether Thomas will cut it a couple of divisions up from where he's been turning it on with Hartlepool. To use a couple of examples of our own you could argue Lasley didn't do as well as he could have in the Championship in England or Derek Adams who looked lost as a striker with us having banged them in at Ross County two or three divisions below.

We've also benefited in this regard ourselves with Scott McDonald being a perfect example. £750k or whatever for a guy who came to us on trial with the mindset that if it didn't work this time he was going to bugger off back home to Australia.

Agree on Griffiths, but remains to be seen what development fee Everton may seek.

On a positive, individual errors aside, we've stopped leaking goals in the manner we did against Aberdeen and Dundee.

This is the biggest rebuilding job we've probably seen at the club in over a decade. I just hope that a number of the Under Twenties can make the step up next season.

If we lose the front 2 we're losing 30+ goals that need to be replaced and we can't rely on Bowman or a youth forward for goals so we'll need to bring in 2 forwards.If we can't find a couple of forwards who'll get into double figures on goals next season then the rest of the team will need to make up the difference or we'll be going down.

If we lose the front 2 we're losing 30+ goals that need to be replaced and we can't rely on Bowman or a youth forward for goals so we'll need to bring in 2 forwards.If we can't find a couple of forwards who'll get into double figures on goals next season then the rest of the team will need to make up the difference or we'll be going down.

That for me, gets to the crux of what we demand for Moult. Whats the difference to the club in terms of cash between Premier league and Championship? Whatever that figure is, thats the value of Moult. Without him, (or a decent replacement) we go down.

Fuck accepting £200k for him because we are scared he leaves for nothing. Staying up, is worth more than £200k to us. Given the lack of quality across the rest of the squad, we need good money in to rebuild, or we keep him for a year.

• Like 1

As others have said, if we do manage to stay in the Premier League, this Summer is potentially the biggest rebuild job the Club has had since Jim Gannon was in charge.

We'll be looking for two goalkeepers as Samson and Griffiths will be gone.

A left-back capable of playing in our starting XI is a must, Chalmers should be away with Hammell being used as back-up

We need adequate cover for McManus and Heneghan at centre-back...ie not fucking Zac Jules

I'd imagine Lasley will be put out to pasture, while Pearson could be as well, while Lucas, and Clay clearly aren't up to standard, leaving Campbell and McHugh as our only central midfielders.

I'd doubt that Ainsworth will be here next season either, but he's been a bit-part anyway with Cadden in his position.

Up front is a major worry, as we'll no doubt have a lot of goals to try and replace with McDonald undoubtedly, and Moult probably away. While Bowman offers something, it doesnt appear to be goals and only Blyth as a further alternative.

The likes of Ferguson, McMillan, Hastie, McLean, Thomas and Mackin may have a bigger part to play next season, but if the manager doesn't think they are up to it then

I make it;

2 keepers

1 left-back

2 centre-backs

2 centre-mids

2 strikers

We better hope that the manager can pick a player out

• Like 1

We'll be looking for two goalkeepers as Samson and Griffiths will be gone.

A left-back capable of playing in our starting XI is a must, Chalmers should be away with Hammell being used as back-up

We need adequate cover for McManus and Heneghan at centre-back...ie not fucking Zac Jules

I'd imagine Lasley will be put out to pasture, while Pearson could be as well, while Lucas, and Clay clearly aren't up to standard, leaving Campbell and McHugh as our only central midfielders.

I'd doubt that Ainsworth will be here next season either, but he's been a bit-part anyway with Cadden in his position.

Up front is a major worry, as we'll no doubt have a lot of goals to try and replace with McDonald undoubtedly, and Moult probably away. While Bowman offers something, it doesnt appear to be goals and only Blyth as a further alternative.

The likes of Ferguson, McMillan, Hastie, McLean, Thomas and Mackin may have a bigger part to play next season, but if the manager doesn't think they are up to it then

I make it;

2 keepers

1 left-back

2 centre-backs

2 centre-mids

2 strikers

We better hope that the manager can pick a player out

Pretty much agree with that. However I think Blyth and certainly Clay have signed deals for longer than a year. Of the young lads has Dylan Mackin done enough to earn a longer stay? No doubt Stephen Craigan will have been assessing the younger pads' potential and will be passing his recommendations on to SR.

Pretty much agree with that. However I think Blyth and certainly Clay have signed deals for longer than a year. Of the young lads has Dylan Mackin done enough to earn a longer stay? No doubt Stephen Craigan will have been assessing the younger pads' potential and will be passing his recommendations on to SR.

Yes Clay signed a 2 year deal Aug 2016 and Blyth signed June 2016 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd year

I actually like the contract option idea as it allows us to extend the contract of somebody we plan to sell and bump up their price.

Pity this one is with Blyth and not Moult, right enough.

Bbc reporting that Russell Griffiths is a free agent in the summer when his Everton deal expires.......worth a deal ???

Saw a couple of comments so far saying aye which surprised me.

Having only played two matches with not a great deal to do it's very hard to judge. If I was forced to pass judgement now I'd he looks like a decent shot stopper however isn't exactly commanding in the box. Sound familiar?

He had a few games in the u20s, but if our previous model is anything to go by, the new goalie coach will be largely responsible for recruiting the new guy, and I doubt he's been here long enough to make an evaluation. I think our best route is probably loaning in a keeper again, and if that's the case it will probably be one of our last appointments of the summer since that seems to be how loans go.

Saw a couple of comments so far saying aye which surprised me.

Having only played two matches with not a great deal to do it's very hard to judge. If I was forced to pass judgement now I'd he looks like a decent shot stopper however isn't exactly commanding in the box. Sound familiar?

There's some footage of him playing with the u20s (vs Dunfermline) that wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence tbh. Shots just seem to fly straight through him.

I'd like to think that this season has been an eye-opener for those involved in recruitment in so much as there are clearly positions in the team where a team like ours simply can't afford to just say "ach, he'll do" and goalkeeper is top of that list IMO. Samson to me seemed 100% a sympathy signing as he'd been patient and waited for a chance last season.

Let's not do that again. Ever.

• Like 1

I'd be amazed if any manager, who relies on results to keep their job, signed any player due to sympathy.

I'd be much more likely to believe that Samson got his chance because he was cheap and deemed "likely good enough" while we spent money elsewhere.

• Like 2

I'd be amazed if any manager, who relies on results to keep their job, signed any player due to sympathy.

I'd be much more likely to believe that Samson got his chance because he was cheap and deemed "likely good enough" while we spent money elsewhere.

Add " Already at the Club" to that reasoning.

• Like 1

Was Hammell signing again a disaster, was Lasley, was Pearson (the first time), was Craigan, was McDonald, was McFadden (the first time), was Phil? FFS, get a grip, some of youse know as as much about football as The Daily Record!

• Like 1

Russell Griffiths, I would not sign him based on 2 games. He was flapping like fuck at times on Saturday. Made a great save yeah, I think Samson could have made that sorta save as well. That wasn't the issue with Samson. Everything else was.

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic