The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Ok, so looking at a position at a time (with 2 new goalies a given), in defense we have:

McManus, Heneghan, Hammel, tait, McMillan, Ferguson

There's a decent chance Ben will be sold, and I don't know if Ferguson is likely to be kept, but the others are under contract.

I don't know the nature of tait's injury, and if that could continue to niggle, but hammell is a cert to miss chunks of the season based on the last 2 years, and I'm sure that it's been mentioned that McManus misses a lot of training to protect his injuries.

So it looks like we need a couple of center halves at least, with the likelihood that we'll be looking for them to cover the fullback positions when needed, or adapt to this 3 at the back deal if we continue with it.

With robinsons supposed focus on organization and defense, I could see these positions addressed first, and it will be interesting to see if we go with experience or potential. Given what we've been like this year, we definitely need some pace here.

I wouldn't keep any of the players who are out of contract and I would also be trying to find a way to bin Blyth, Bowman and Clay. None of them are good enough. Not even for the bench, not even in a pinch.

To quote Del Superwell from another thread "(Stephen Robinson) I met with the board on Friday to discuss my budget for next year. We have 13 contracted players and I’ll be trying to wheel and deal.” I think thats exactly who he's talking about.

As regards the players who are out of contract he doesn't need to wheel and deal about them. That also applies to players who he's targeted to bring in. So by elimination it must apply to those who are still contracted but he doesn't want. It may also apply to Hammell.

Up until recently I've not been overly impressed by Stephen Robinson, but he has kept us up and thats no mean feat. Like Well Well, I like the cut of his jib from today's comments.

To quote Del Superwell from another thread "(Stephen Robinson) I met with the board on Friday to discuss my budget for next year. We have 13 contracted players and I’ll be trying to wheel and deal.” I think thats exactly who he's talking about.

As regards the players who are out of contract he doesn't need to wheel and deal about them. That also applies to players who he's targeted to bring in. So by elimination it must apply to those who are still contracted but he doesn't want. It may also apply to Hammell.

Up until recently I've not been overly impressed by Stephen Robinson, but he has kept us up and thats no mean feat. Like Well Well, I like the cut of his jib from today's comments.

And he has been smart enough to keep those comments till we were safe unlike another manager touted on here for the job who 'lost the dressing room' and saw his team relegated.

With what he has had to deal with, and the piss poor squad he inherited, I think he has done a tremendous job in keeping us up. An even bigger task now lies ahead and I wish him well and some patience from the 'pant wetter' posters.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We are not running an old crocks home so McManus, Hammell, Lasley, McFadden and Lasley, in the parlance of the US President, need to be terminated. Great club servants sure but no room for any sentiment when the club are on a tight budget. Robinson only needs one assistant manager and he should be allowed to decide who that is and not have 'Well old boys forced on them.

• Like 1

Well, now that one of the most turgid seasons in memory is over we need to look ahead.

Best to start with a fully clean slate imo.

Remain to be convinced on Robinson however I can't see anyone at the club having the vision to make any change In that department.

Regarding McFadden, he should be moved away from the assistant managers position and into a coaching role for the time being, we need a strong character for the job.

It's going to be a huge summer for the club.

I'd like to see us reduce the size of the squad as we've been carrying too many bodies over the past few seasons for the size of our budget. We need to focus on spending a bit more money on bringing in quality over quantity which I hope Robinson will also see.

By my understanding, we are looking at a first team squad of:

Rb: Tait

Cb: Hennegan

Cb: McManus

Lb: Hammel

Lm: Frear

Cm: Mchugh

Cm:Campbell

Rm: Cadden

St:Moult

St:Bowman

Sub: Macmillan

Sub: Hastie

Sub: Livinston

Sub: Mclean

Sub: Mackin

I can see Robinson trying to move others such as Blythe, Thomas, Moore, Watt etc. on.

In my personal opinion, I'd also like to see Bowman and Clay moved on too but I know that won't be popular with everyone.

As for the others out of contract, I'd really like to see us keep McDonald but that isn't happening whilst Lasley should be moved to a coaching role imo.

Realistically, we will be looking to bring in the following:

Gk x 1

Df x 2

Mf x 3

St x 2

Interesting times ahead!

• Like 1

I've seen a few people saying that they think that we'll try and move Clay and Bowman on but I'm not so sure. Albeit we've had limited options but Robinson has used the two of them a lot, even if only as his first players to come off the bench.

Not saying that I would keep both of them but wouldn't be surprised if the club decides to even if only as squad players...

I've seen a few people saying that they think that we'll try and move Clay and Bowman on but I'm not so sure.

The boss has said that he wants or needs to engage in some wheeling and dealing, so that suggests that he want to move on some of those who are under contract ie Clay, Blyth and Bowman does it not? If thats not the case he may be referring to the likes of Hammell, McManus, Tait, and Heneghan. Time will tell. I think he'll have seen most of the squad in action at some point with the exception of Tait and will have had an opportunity to assess them.

The boss has said that he wants or needs to engage in some wheeling and dealing, so that suggests that he want to move on some of those who are under contract ie Clay, Blyth and Bowman does it not? If thats not the case he may be referring to the likes of Hammell, McManus, Tait, and Heneghan. Time will tell. I think he'll have seen most of the squad in action at some point with the exception of Tait and will have had an opportunity to assess them.

The talk of wheeling and dealing does suggest some will be moved on, just not sure if both Bowman and Clay will be among those being wheeled and dealt.

Only basing this on the fact that Robinson used them both extensively. It may be that he simply felt that he had no better options rather than a show of faith in them...

I'm sure he knows the players he wants and needs to fit into his philosophy . Whoever he signs I expect to see a fitter and more aggressive squad next season . So on that basis be interesting to see his initial signings as that will be an indicator of what he wants . Also get the feeling sentiment won't come into it as he alluded to in his interview . Difficult bit is getting the contracted players he doesn't rate out . Easier said than done . Wish him luck with that one . But for me he's been correct in saying we need a massive rebuild . A different minder will be just as important . I wish him well . Big job but needs done . Can't carry on like last season that's for sure

I think we might keep Bowman for use off the bench or in specific situations when we need to go route one. I wouldnt be relying on him to get me 15 goals a season far less 20 but he is a big physical lad and could be useful in certain games.

Blyth we dont need......

I think we might keep Bowman for use off the bench or in specific situations when we need to go route one. I wouldnt be relying on him to get me 15 goals a season far less 20 but he is a big physical lad and could be useful in certain games...

You mean carry on exactly as we are, doing the same thing over and over again , you expecting a different result?

Define insanity

• Like 1

I think Bowman definitely has the attributes to be a good player for us. I'm not sure he'll be a prolific goalscorer - despite banging a few in at a lower level, he's had plenty of opportunities earlier in the season to get on the scoresheet and couldn't take his chances. He does however hold the ball up well, does well to get others into play, can be quite clever in his passing and while he doesn't seem blessed with pace he is surprisingly quick over short distances. Add in that he's not scared to get stuck in and I can't see why others can't see him as a useful player to have in the squad.

This keep Bowman talk gives me the fear and I know he has a year left on his contract,as I've said before he can't time his jump for high balls and is usually well off the pace. He is one of a catalogue of gash signings who have brought the square root of feck all to the already depleted squad.

I think Bowman definitely has the attributes to be a good player for us. I'm not sure he'll be a prolific goalscorer - despite banging a few in at a lower level, he's had plenty of opportunities earlier in the season to get on the scoresheet and couldn't take his chances. He does however hold the ball up well, does well to get others into play, can be quite clever in his passing and while he doesn't seem blessed with pace he is surprisingly quick over short distances. Add in that he's not scared to get stuck in and I can't see why others can't see him as a useful player to have in the squad.

Can't believe all this talk about keeping Bowman . .I was told when he joined that he was never good enough for this level and I'm afraid it has been shown to be true . .cant score , can't jump , one paced , no dig ..what's more to like ! !

• Like 1

Can't believe all this talk about keeping Bowman . .I was told when he joined that he was never good enough for this level and I'm afraid it has been shown to be true . .cant score , can't jump , one paced , no dig ..what's more to like ! !

Can't disagree with that, was told we were trying to get rid in Jan he was that bad. Not what we need filling a jersey, would far rather replace him next season with a youth player

We should have 3 players that are deemed first choice forwards fighting it out for a couple of first team positions and 2 young players challenging that from the bench in my opinion

You could say we started the season with 4, McDonald,moult,Blyth and bowman. Well the last 2 haven't kicked a ball all season so it's time to replace them.

From what Iv been told tho it's likely we will be replacing all 4

I'd be very surprised to see Blyth, Clay or Bowman at Fir Park next season. Infact, I'm not convinced any of them will be playing professional football 2 years for now.

Unfortunately, it may cost us a few quid to get them off the books. Terrible signings despite McGhee assuring us he had done his due diligence.

I'd expect 10-12 players to arrive if Robinson gets his way. Interested to get a sense of what the budget will be. Thanks to finishing a place above schedule, coining in £200k+ from Ibrox, promised 4 home Rangers/Celtic games, increased tv revenue and £250k courtesy of Celtic, we shouldn't be scraping the barrel so much this summer.

I'd be very surprised to see Blyth, Clay or Bowman at Fir Park next season. Infact, I'm not convinced any of them will be playing professional football 2 years for now

I'd expect 10-12 players to arrive if Robinson gets his way. Interested to get a sense of what the budget will be. Thanks to finishing a place above schedule, coining in £200k+ from Ibrox, promised 4 home Rangers/Celtic games, increased tv revenue and £250k courtesy of Celtic, we shouldn't be scraping the barrel so much this summer.

Would it be worth our while keeping an eye on Johnson's situation at Oxford as well given we're apparently due a % from any move?

You mean carry on exactly as we are, doing the same thing over and over again , you expecting a different result?

Define insanity

Please explain how you come to that position from my post?

Bowman is one player. Ive described certain circumstances where he might be useful. Given he is under contract he wouldnt be the first one Id be looking to move on. He wont be on much money and wont spit the dummy being a squad player. You clearly dont rate him. Thats ok. All entitled to our opinions but perplexed to how you make the jump to "carry on as we are".

I havent said keep all our over age players who are clearly past it.

I havent said lets keep our below average keeper who has cost us goals.

I havent said lets not bother signing any new defenders to replace the ones leaking goals left right and centre.

I havent said lets not re-evaluate our midfield. Move out those not up to scratch and get some in who will bring us balance and play more attractive passing football.

I havent said we shouldnt try to keep Moult or at least try and use any transfer money wisely on trying to find a replacement.

Lots of changes coming. I just hope at the end of it that we end up with a more balanced squad of higher quality with cover in all positions and the ability to play more than 1 style of football when required.

• Like 1

The best I can see us do with bowman is loaning him out.

I think our model is going to generate more Clay's and blyth's than Johnson's and moult's. We're trying to find players with potential that no one else has noticed yet, and the only way to do that is to take a punt. We're at a level where if we have to compete with anyone for a signing we're probably going to lose, so we have to get in early.

Another thing to consider is whether filling our bench with u20s is good for their development, if not, then its players like bowman and clay that are going to fill those spots.

• Like 1

Leaving aside Bowman for a moment, looking at Craig Clay, would I want him as first choice in our midfield? Possibly not. Could he do a job as a backup midfielder or someone to bring on in a game when we're trying to shore up the midfield? Could we find someone better quality happy to do that job on similar money? He's no world beaters but certainly not the worst midfielder that I've seen playing for Motherwell...

• Like 1

Exactly, which is why it's hard to judge a new signing immediately. Are we taking a player with good stats out of a system that suits them, or have we spotted an otherwise underwhelming player who we think will flourish in our system?

• Andy_P locked this topic