The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Doubt it he's a 30 year old keeper who played for a team that got relegated from the championship

Yup, he's not old enough for us.

We like giving two year contracts to guys in their mid-thirties.

Tell him to come back in five years.

Please tell me it's not true we gave Lasley a second year option if we didn't get relegated.

The thing is, it kinda fits into what Robinson said - four players over 35 signed on two year contracts. Never mind the wee slip with the 35 number -

McManus - 2 years

Hammell - 2 years

McDonald - one year plus one year option ( not taken up by him )

Lasley - one year plus a year extra if we don't get relegated?

Jeez, this is Alice in Wonderland stuff

Would be really surprised if offering a contract extension to a 37yr old just for us staying up surely at start is season we never expected to be as bad as we were and would seem ludicrous to put that in contract:

It can't be true - no one would be that stupid.

Please tell me it's not true we gave Lasley a second year option if we didn't get relegated.

The thing is, it kinda fits into what Robinson said - four players over 35 signed on two year contracts. Never mind the wee slip with the 35 number -

McManus - 2 years

Hammell - 2 years

McDonald - one year plus one year option ( not taken up by him )

Lasley - one year plus a year extra if we don't get relegated?

Jeez, this is Alice in Wonderland stuff

Scott McDonald was born in 1983. How can he be over 35? I thought with all that changing of cash in your taxi you'd be half decent at basic arithmetic.
  • Like 3

Couple of rumours I heard today. Steven McManus to be assistant manager. Keith Lasley apparently had a clause in his contract that if we stayed up, he automatically would get another year.

Might be absolute garbage but it's the season for it...

I am calling utter bullshit on the reason for the extension. Number of apps or whatever is usually fine. not generic "not relegated"

• Like 2

Scott McDonald was born in 1983. How can he be over 35? I thought with all that changing of cash in your taxi you'd be half decent at basic arithmetic.

Did you no read this bit?

Never mind the wee slip with the 35 number

Let me tell you something about the art of trolling.

1. When you troll, make sure you are on solid ground. So get your facts straight before you post. That involves reading what the other guy says. You have failed.

2. The art of trolling involves hitting the other guy where it hurts, to engender an emotional reaction. You reckon I'm a taxi driver - you're a fool.

To be fair, that has been long established.

Did you no read this bit?

Never mind the wee slip with the 35 number

Let me tell you something about the art of trolling.

1. When you troll, make sure you are on solid ground. So get your facts straight before you post. That involves reading what the other guy says. You have failed.

2. The art of trolling involves hitting the other guy where it hurts, to engender an emotional reaction. You reckon I'm a taxi driver - you're a fool.

To be fair, that has been long established.

This is the kind of reaction a troll lives for.

• Like 2

End of the week basically and still no sign of 2 players signing, maybe things will change by the end of the day

Doubtful that any business will be done over the holiday weekend. Plenty of time before the pant wetting is required.

Burrows interview suggests we're looking to recruit players that many of us have heard of. I'm looking forward to gauging the quality of player Robinson has been casting his eye over.

I read Scougall saying he has multiple offers and he isn't averse to returning to Scotland. I expect us to be in with a shout but he won't make a decision until he returns from his holidays.

End of the week basically and still no sign of 2 players signing, maybe things will change by the end of the day

I was always sceptical of this statement. As discussed in another thread, running a club, and especially conducting transfer negotiations is far more complicated than many of us realise. No doubt players of their agents can change their demands as other expressions of interest are received or discussions are prolonged over unexpected detailed clauses and so on.

Burrows interview suggests we're looking to recruit players that many of us have heard of. I'm looking forward to gauging the quality of player Robinson has been casting his eye over.

I read Scougall saying he has multiple offers and he isn't averse to returning to Scotland. I expect us to be in with a shout but he won't make a decision until he returns from his holidays.

You would have to think that Scougall will get better offers than ours, maybe from the Edinburgh clubs but we would offer more of a chance of regular first team football.

Another name that has come up in the past and I'd love us to ask the question is Liam Henderson. May be time for him to move on permanently from Parkhead...

You would have to think that Scougall will get better offers than ours, maybe from the Edinburgh clubs but we would offer more of a chance of regular first team football.

Another name that has come up in the past and I'd love us to ask the question is Liam Henderson. May be time for him to move on permanently from Parkhead...

The main interest in Scougall from Scotland seems to have been from St Johnstone (he was apparently at their game vs Thistle as a guest of the club) and ourselves. I seem to remember having read that neither Hearts or Hibs had shown any interest in him (though that may have been on P&B rather than a legit news source).

Scougall in the sun today saying there is 3/4 clubs from Scotland interested 2 from English league 2 and 3 from league 1. I'm certain will be offered more elsewhere moneywise but just depends on where he wants to go as saying would like to come back to Scotland so just depends what area although money might talk as sure English league 1 teams will pay a lot more than all the Scottish teams .

We've certainly got a proven track record of reviving players careers or developing players further that allows them to make a step up the ladder in the English game so i could see players being tempted to come to us for that sort of thing knowing what we offer in terms of wages while they are here. That might give us a wee advantage over other clubs in making signings.

Neither of the Edinburgh clubs appear to be interested in Scougall and St Johnstone appear to be the front runners.

Henderson is a player I rate highly but he's outwith our reach. If he were to leave Celtic but remain in Scotland, Hibs would be his destination. He developed a real affinity for the club during his loan spell there and attended a number of their games last season.

There were a couple of comments in the interview that seemed notable, especially in the context of "lessons learned".

The point about Robinson being willing to put in the miles in terms of going looking at players (including Sheffied, hiya Stefan) seemed relevant especially in the context of a deal like Belic (possibly Blyth and various others). There's also us having promoted our 3rd senior goalkeeper to first choice last season which seemed very much a case of "Ach, you'll do.". I found a lot of the emphasis on the concept of recruitment a bit of a tacit acknowledgement that we got a lot of it wrong last season, which is good, acknowledging mistakes and making sure they're not repeated is a healthy step.

Similarly and I realise I'm projecting a bit here but when framed against McGhee's apparent back and forth to Brighton (and possibly his involvement with the national team) Burrows observation about Robinson's willingness to put in the miles and also the comment about him not being under any illusions about the scale of the job seemed pointed, though not quite an outright dig.

The biggest positive for me was that there seems to have been something of a reappraisal of the level of player that we need to bring in.

• Like 3

• Andy_P locked this topic