The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I see Alex Fisher released by ICT, only saw him against us but was impressed and thought he would be a good shout?

Well I'm convinced, get him signed up.

Also, fuck Willo Flood right in the bin. Horrifying looking 'human'.

even with pearson gone and lasley maybe retiring,if were trying to learn from last season then the last thing we should be doing is signing another slow midfielder in there 30s,we need younger and more mobile players in the middle of the park and flood certainly aint that,even lasley at 37/38 would be a far better option than flood.

There you go, I'll end the panic I started - from Scott Mullen:

Understand talk of @MotherwellFC interest in Willo Flood is unfounded. Apparently 'never on the radar'. Same goes for Spittal

• Like 1

Four managers from Northern Ireland in the Scottish Premiership. Why are we the only ones being linked (even if only on Twitter and on forums) with any and every player from Northern Ireland? Is that the extent of the club's imagination? Or is it more likely that once again that the club is keeping a lid on accurate news and people are just guessing?

Would we even consider it a possibility that we would sign Lafferty this summer if he wasn't Northern Irish? Don't see why his nationality makes it more likely...

Four managers from Northern Ireland in the Scottish Premiership. Why are we the only ones being linked (even if only on Twitter and on forums) with any and every player from Northern Ireland? Is that the extent of the club's imagination? Or is it more likely that once again that the club is keeping a lid on accurate news and people are just guessing?

Would we even consider it a possibility that we would sign Lafferty this summer if he wasn't Northern Irish? Don't see why his nationality makes it more likely...

The difference is our manager has worked with NI kids for years before progressing to a coaching role in the first team. He therefore has close connections and knows the talent pool well.

Regarding Lafferty, he has been advised by O'Neill to put regular football ahead of money in order to be involved in the 2018 WC campaign. Given his commitment to his country, a return to Scotland is therefore feasible and his appearance at Fir Park a few weeks back adds fuel to the fire.

The difference is our manager has worked with NI kids for years before progressing to a coaching role in the first team. He therefore has close connections and knows the talent pool well.

Regarding Lafferty, he has been advised by O'Neill to put regular football ahead of money in order to be involved in the 2018 WC campaign. Given his commitment to his country, a return to Scotland is therefore feasible and his appearance at Fir Park a few weeks back adds fuel to the fire.

Appearance at Fir Park? What game was that? Must have totally missed it.

Good news about truing camp in Dublin. Hopefully get the players fit. Also noticed Robinsons comments about a lot of new players to be integrated.

I noticed this too. That suggests that we'll make signings this month as opposed to waiting until the new season starts for once. Time will tell.

Not sure about Fisher formerly of Inverness. Quite a few of their fans don't rate him.

I suppose if things were reversed and you supported Dundee or Partick you may think that Ainsworth was fantastic treating that one game in isolation. Maybe Fisher played out his skin that night at FP and that is why I'd welcome him. But that has to be taken in context of a season .... and their fans offer that perspective. However many a player has failed at one club and gone on to another and succeed.

With respect to Robinson's previous role with the NI youths. I cast my mind back to the Jim Gannon era. Many on here still (8 years later - Jesus that is scary) lament his eye for a player and would welcome him back as a scout. I would suggest if you are the manager of an English league 1 club you get to watch every team in your division live twice and no doubt get scouting reports and watch plenty of other games throughout the season from video. Therefore it would not be beyond you to select a tangible target list which I think he did and managed to assemble a decent squad in what was our last major rebuild.

No different to any of us watching Sportscene over the course of a season and being able to pick out 20 players outwith Celtic, Aberdeen and Newco that would make a tasty team, even with 1.5 mins of highlights and 5 minutes of gobshitery from some of their coverage.

I'm sure despite he doesn't have recent first hand experience of the NI U21 setup, guys like Tommy Wright know exactly who have something about them from that pool of talent and who doesn't. Robinson just had more day to day working and has a better understanding of temperament, application and guile. Ability and consistency will be common knowledge through a sound scouting system and personal recommendations.

Reassured to see that Scott Mullen is discarding our link with Willo Flood.

Accepting that it was only one game I went to Accies match last Sunday against Utd. Flood was way off the pace and unable to match the determination of the Accies mid field. To be fair to him he wasn`t alone as the other Utd players really struggled.

5-6 years ago Flood would have been a good addition but no longer.

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic