The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

No shades of grey with you ......did a decent job for Us in play offs, probably punted because he was on reasonable money

I have plenty shades of grey.

Laing was fourth choice centre back on merit, was enormously outperformed by an unknown Northern Ireland teenager who came from nowhere midseason, got punted, then helped Inverness a) become the only team in the league to concede more goals than Motherwell, b) stay bottom of the league for virtually the entire duration of his time there and c) get relegated out the league.

As for the play offs - is that when we brushed aside Championship level guff who were lucky to get past Queen of the South in the 3rd/4th place quarter final? That's what I'm saying, that's his level.

Won't take long to get shot down here but I'm not overly impressed by the quality of the trialists we have. More league 2 / national league players. A few of them very well could turn out to be a Louis Moult but I'd like to see some established Scottish based players where possible

• Like 2

Won't take long to get shot down here but I'm not overly impressed by the quality of the trialists we have. More league 2 / national league players. A few of them very well could turn out to be a Louis Moult but I'd like to see some established Scottish based players where possible

I'd like to think we still have a couple of quality additions up our sleeve. Players capable of making a Moult/McHugh style contribution with one of them being a replacement for McDonald.

It's unlikely you are going to get quality players on trial. Nevertheless, a quick browse of reviews and limited footage doesn't fill me with confidence.

Dunne will prove to be a fast Joe Chalmers at best while Dembele wasn't wanted by Barnet. The striker is from the same stable as Tait, Heneghan and Clay so no surprise we are looking at him. His stats at Grimsby and Barrow last season don't look particularly impressive but he may well have something about him for Barnsley to sign him in 2016.

From the Leicester video of Cedric Kipre, he looks tidy on the ball but no idea if he can defend. Unfortunately our last 2 signings from the Leicester youth team have been brutal. Robinson did suggest today that he wouldn't be signing young English players to come up here and make mistakes for the first time.

The question is, which established Scottish players are available for free right now?

I'd hazard a guess that Charles Dunne is the player we've all but signed. He has Championship and League One experience as per Robinson's quote. He also seemed to have injury problems last season which would explain us wanting to put him through pre-season before finalising.

If he stays fit I would be happy enough with that.

Couldn't pick out bowman, Blyth or clay either, but they might just be good at hiding.

Seen bowman I think but no sure about the other 2.

Hopefully some of these lads on trial can prove their worth as I don't think Robinson is willing to to take a punt on anyone as he does want real quality but I'm slightly impressed with the calibre of the trialist but hopefully a few other additions aswell would be nice.

The question is, which established Scottish players are available for free right now?

I understand we are limited by budget. Off the top of my head I would take Josh Meekings and Paul Quinn for defence on a free before a guy released by Barnet. Even boys from the championship like Sibbald and Hyppolyte from Falkirk have impressed me. All of these guys are out of contract. There is guys of this ilk out there.

Don't get me wrong I think the business we have done thus far has been very good. Just would like to see the further recruits come from the Scottish game. We can have a debate about quality differences all day but one thing that is widely agreed upon is the Scottish game does have its differences with England. I would like to see guys already adjusted to compliment our other signings. All personal preference and opinion though

I understand we are limited by budget. Off the top of my head I would take Josh Meekings and Paul Quinn for defence on a free before a guy released by Barnet. Even boys from the championship like Sibbald and Hyppolyte from Falkirk have impressed me. All of these guys are out of contract. There is guys of this ilk out there.

Sibbald would cost £200k+ and that's largely the problem if you're signing young established players, it's a question of value.

I'm not wholly disagreeing with you and it's not really the point you're making but it's unlikely we'd be taking the likes of Meekings on trial anyway. It'd be a straight up signing.

I take it the boy from Barnet is probably here on a recommendation from Beresford.

The trialists are of a pedigree that I would expect. Going by previous comments, if he is fit, Dunne would be the one that we're most likely to sign. The other two defenders will probably have come on recommendation. The striker, while not prolific, if you look at his stats has scored 11 in 36 career starts. Not dreadful although he has had a good number of sub appearances. Time will tell, I guess...

• Andy_P locked this topic