The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Can't remember the fallen from grace chat but he's been mentioned on here since he attended the Dundee game.

I suspect we did speak to him but were quickly priced out a move and that will remain the case unless we sell Moult swiftly. According to Robinsons latest quotes, we are looking for a striker but a pacey one.

He's not the most likeable character in the world and his recent club stats aren't great but if a team from our level manages to recruit a player that has scored the international goals and played with quality of striker he has, it would be a real coup.

Why would we take a chance on someone who would cost us so much and Imo isn't that good.....his feigning injury nonsense a few years ago with Charlie Mulgrew should be enough in itself, better bringing in lesser known players and taking a chance on them

If we can get a hold of a player of Kyle Laffertys ability we should grab it with both hands. An International striker, with years worth of experience playing at a good level, including the one we compete at? Yes, his attitude is questionable, however I'd be inclined to suspect that the likes of Robinson and Craigan will know how to handle him, due to already having a relationship with the player. From what I've heard though, he is way out of our price range with both Edinburgh clubs able to offer him much more than we can.

I've heard a wee whisper about Shaun Hutchinson as a probable replacement should Big Ben get his move away, but we are planning on holding out for closer to £500k than the £300k reported. Hutchinson struggled with injury last season and with Millwall moving up a division, they're apparently not going to be difficult to deal with.

No idea why people use goals to games as a stat to judge a player, doesn't tell you much. It is almost as dumb as the win ratio now used for managers.

Its not dumb at all and quite understandable, if not 100% accurate. For a start its something you can quantify and it is the ultimate measurement of a striker's achievement. Of course its not entirely accurate. It doesn't take into account the quality of player in a striker's team; and doesn't take into account the amount of service he receives. A crude measurement yes, but one nonetheless.

No idea why people use goals to games as a stat to judge a player, doesn't tell you much. It is almost as dumb as the win ratio now used for managers.

If you are looking to sign a goal scorer, it's a pretty good starting point. That's why we will get more money for Moult than we will for Blyth.

2014/15 was his best international season during the same 4 year period.

Zero goals in 2 games 2013/14

5 goals in 6 in 2014/15

3 goals in 11 games in 2015/16

3 goals in 8 games in 2016/17

Not too shabby.

But still not sure we could afford to make him a top earner for a couple of years and hope he scores more than another 4 domestic and 6 international goals.

Of course, he'll sign for Hearts now and hit 20.

Lafferty would be an excellent purchase for any team in this league, even his old team.

Well outside our budget though.

£300k?...I'd be seriously considering that to be honest

I wouldn't. He was up and down last season but he is still very young and to sell him to a direct competitor would not be an astute move imho.

Hopefully this will bring others out the shadows.

Could be a huge month ahead if we are to find replacements for Cadden, Henaghan and Moult!

FWIW - my realistic valuation of each player would be:

Moult - £750k to £1m

Cadden - £500k

Henaghan - £3-500k

• Like 2

£300k?...I'd be seriously considering that to be honest

Due to his age and contract length I think we are in too strong a position to consider anything below £500k. Unless of course, Cadden really wants to go and/or the money can be reinvested in retaining other assets.

Anyway, Burrows has just killed the story of an improved offer.

Notts Forest could be interested in Cadden as well as Hearts,

Long-standing Mark Warburton target Chris Cadden would be excellent value for Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest are the masters of honing young talents, just like Motherwell winger Chris Cadden.

Nottingham Forest manager Mark Warburton wanted Chris Cadden at Rangers

One of the most highly rated young players in Scottish football could be available for a bargain fee this summer.

According to the Daily Record, Motherwell are demanding £500,000 for sprightly winger Chris Cadden after rejecting an offer of just £100,000 from Hearts. He is cheap, but he is not that cheap.

Whether Hearts return with a bigger bid remains to be seen. The report claims they are resigned to losing wantaway winger Jamie Walker this summer and have identified Cadden as the ideal replacement.

The 20-year-old, a bright light in a struggling Motherwell team, was heavily linked with Rangers last season, as reported by the Scottish Sun. However, since the turn of the year, speculation of a move to Ibrox has gone cold.

Perhaps this is something to do with the change in management. After all, Pedro Caixinha appears to have his own targets, reinforcing the wide areas with Benfica duo Daniel Candeias and Dalcio.

Ideal destination?

However, with Cadden likely to be subject to other interest this summer, you wonder whether Caixinha’s predecessor will renew his interest. After all, Mark Warburton was in charge when the Scotland youth international was on Rangers’ radar.

And his current club, Nottingham Forest, could be an ideal destination for Cadden if he does indeed leave Motherwell this summer. The Championship giants may have survived relegation by the skin of their teeth last season but, in the meantime, they helped launch the careers of a number of Britain’s most highly rated youngsters, from Toulon tournament winning captain Joe Worrall to teenage striker Ben Brereton.

Oliver Burke became the most expensive Scottish player in history last summer after moving to RB Leipzig for £13 million in the back of a stunning breakthrough campaign at Forest (BBC).

And with Forest facing competition from Middlesbrough for Blackburn Rovers winger Conor Mahoney, Cadden could be an astute alternative. At just £500,000, he is certainly within budget for a side crippled by Financial Fair Play restrictions.

I'm thinking 500k is low for Cadden, he has shown great potential, I would expect nothing less than 750k but if he has a good start to season I think he could go for more. I think he is our best youth prospect since Faddy, maybe I would be happier if it wasn't Hearts bidding

• Like 1

I wouldn't. He was up and down last season but he is still very young and to sell him to a direct competitor would not be an astute move imho.

Could be a huge month ahead if we are to find replacements for Cadden, Henaghan and Moult!

Moult - £750k to £1m

Cadden - £500k

Henaghan - £3-500k

If we get £3-500k for Heneghan we could probably be done for robbery.

• Like 2

I wouldn't accept anything less than £500k for Cadden. We got around that figure in compensation for Erwin if I remember right and at a rough guess Cadds must have played double the amount of games Erwin had and now has U21 international caps.

Its not dumb at all and quite understandable, if not 100% accurate. For a start its something you can quantify and it is the ultimate measurement of a striker's achievement. Of course its not entirely accurate. It doesn't take into account the quality of player in a striker's team; and doesn't take into account the amount of service he receives. A crude measurement yes, but one nonetheless.

Nor if he was playing as a striker in tbe first place. It's got more holes in it than positives. In fact it might be worse than the managers win ratio.

That article "linking" Cadden with Forest is nothing more than one guy's opinion that he's the type of player that might interest them and they could afford him.

That was why I was said "could be interested"

Only posted it as the Daily Record story said that other clubs would be alerted after Hearts tabled their offer, as a possible other option.

Moult - £750k to £1m

Cadden - £500k

Henaghan - £3-500k

Doubt it.

Henaghan isn't worth a dime - realistically.

Cadden - you are going to be very lucky to get 500k for a technically limited player, who doesn't score many goals and hasn't kicked a ball in about 6 months.

Moult - look what Ross County got for Liam Boyce. There's no chance of getting £1m for him. Would most likely be closer to half of that.

Doubt it.

Henaghan isn't worth a dime - realistically.

Cadden - you are going to be very lucky to get 500k for a technically limited player, who doesn't score many goals and hasn't kicked a ball in about 6 months.

Moult - look what Ross County got for Liam Boyce. There's no chance of getting £1m for him. Would most likely be closer to half of that.

Could all be true - but if we get any money for Henaghan. He is worth a dime to someone

Cadden has shown his potential but agree he has not carried on from earlier season form.

As for Moult. You could realistically compare him to Boyce or a vast array of other players whose valuation is vastly overinflated. Jamie Walker for £1m for example

A lot depends on whether he signs an extended deal - unlikely ! But imho a striker that can score 15-20 goals per season in a struggling side - a valuation of £750k is not outrageous.

Anyway time will tell...

I suppose we should be glad that YB isn't conducting negotiations for any player sales! Apparently we have a worthless team of worthless players? These players are very much part of our survival strategy and have attracted interest from other clubs. We are now waiting for meaningful offers. If Cadden and Heneghan are not of value to others then they will surely be in our team next season.

• Andy_P locked this topic