The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Pleased we have got a left back in relatively early, hopefully he is good enough to replace Hammell in the first team. Not bowled over by his record and his injury list but fingers crossed he is can do us a job. I have seen mixed reports of him online but all have said he does posess pace which is well needed. If we could get an experienced centre back and another striker in I would be quite happy. Hopefully they will come from a better level than this. I am still anxious about the lack of SPFL experience we are going to have with a few old heads giving way i.e Skippy, Lasley etc

Left-back. So cover for Stevie H.

I love him as much as the next guy but surely we aren't going to endure another season of him being first choice left back, it's time to change things up. With respect to Stevie his performances were a mixed bag last season but he certaintly isn't the player we had a few years back. I'm hoping this is someone who can step up and Hammell can provide cover to him

• Like 1

It's a struggle to find any positive comments about Dunne but Robinson has worked with him before and will consider him a suitable character to provide back up.

I wonder if we are still in the market for two defenders. Subsequent to Robinson indicating we had a left sided defender all but signed, he has continued to talk about needing a right and left sided defender. Personally, I'd like to see us sign an out and out left back to compete with Hammell but it's looking unlikely.

I love him as much as the next guy but surely we aren't going to endure another season of him being first choice left back, it's time to change things up. With respect to Stevie his performances were a mixed bag last season but he certaintly isn't the player we had a few years back. I'm hoping this is someone who can step up and Hammell can provide cover to him

Listening to Robinson's interview a while back he was clear that he saw an issue with our defence. In fact he was quite explicit in saying that there was a reason we were sitting second bottom for a fair amount of the season. Going by that I'd say he's probably aware of the need to change things up with the back 4.

Watching the clip of Dunne on YouTube he seems to play both centre half and left back so I'm not 100% certain he's exclusively cover or a replacement for Hammell. The "left sided defender" description seems quite apt.

It's quite crude but we released, or lost to retirement in Lasley's case, a fair number of players so it's interesting to see roughly who we've brought in in their place. Of those who were at the club (so not including Moore etc);

Samson - Carson

Ferguson -

Jules - Dunne

Chalmers -

Lucas -

Lasley - Bigirimana

Ainsworth - Tanner

Pearson - Rose

McDonald - Fisher

We also saw Kennedy released in between windows as well. I'm not sure if I've missed anyone there or not?

It's a struggle to find any positive comments about Dunne but Robinson has worked with him before and will consider him a suitable character to provide back up.

I wonder if we are still in the market for two defenders. Subsequent to Robinson indicating we had a left sided defender all but signed, he has continued to talk about needing a right and left sided defender. Personally, I'd like to see us sign an out and out left back to compete with Hammell but it's looking unlikely.

In all honesty I can see us taking on the other 3 trialists and maybe 2/3 other players.

As for Dunne I think he will be a direct replacement for Hammy who will be back up this year, can't see us signing a guy who he has worked with previously and played regularly with Oldham last year.

The key factor in the striker equation is will Moult stay. If he does, then we need to make sure we have options that play well with his style. If not, then we need to be thinking partnerships when we bring in fresh blood.

Unless we get an offer we can't refuse for Moult he will be staying for at least another season to see out his contract. We need to be planning on him being here for the start of the season but have a back up plan just in case we don't want to be caught short again as we were when Johnson finally went to Oxford .

He can play centre half of left back, similar to Zac Jules. Supposedly lacks the technical ability to be a proper left back.

Anybody described as playing similar to Zak Jules gives me the fear, but time will tell he will be judged on performances.

Here's the obligatory YouTube video for Dunne. He's described as a left back/CB/wing back so take your pick.

Interesting if this is his highlights.. Looks like his pace makes up for a lot, not that impressed by someone of his control/positioning here. A few guys have slated him on twitter (Wycombe fans) Be nice to have an injection of pace in to the team though, something tha that has been somewhat lacking since Marv left. Fingers crossed he turns out to be a good capture

I feel the same but fear it will be a case of cover rather than Stevie covering

Just watchef his utube video. If Charles Dunne is happy to have signed for the well he wants to tell his face then. Also, to early in his interview is the mention of how he can't wait to play in front of the big crowds of the ugly sisters. That one is a pet hate of mine. Never mind, as long as he does a job on the park for us then I'm sure I'll get over it. Welcome to fir park dunney.

TBF, it's the journos that ALWAYS ask that OF question to every English player we sign. I have some sympathy with the interview process too - here ye go, son. We just signed you now go and speak to the press on camera.

The gaffer's interview that was just posted gives more insight into why we signed him and what his hopes are for him. Maybe even more insight than the Blackpool fans.

Seems like we are looking for a right-sided defender now and waiting to see how the trialists perform in the next couple of games.

True but can see this same comment being made on Shrewsbury forums relating to our retorts of Mr Jules.

Feedback needs to carry some weight

More weight than the thoughts of our manager who had him as a player at Oldham?

Also, to early in his interview is the mention of how he can't wait to play in front of the big crowds of the ugly sisters. That one is a pet hate of mine.

I can't say that part of them upsets me too much. In that respect however grudgingly they are there to be taken advantage of. If you want to sign a player you use whatever means you can to attract them to your club. Now whilst we might enthuse them with the prospect of playing on the best surface in the country, in front of a small but generally passionate support the carrot for of our signings from England is the profile you get from playing in Scotland and that will largely be when you play against those two.

Look at it a another way. I'll use Tom Ince as I saw his name pop up on Sky Sports News earlier. Do you think Huddersfield were saying to him join us and you'll get to play next season in front of 75,000 at Old Trafford or join us because we'll be playing in front of 12,000 at Bournemouth?

• Andy_P locked this topic