The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Hopefully he will be first choice left back. Stevie Hammell is now at the end of his playing career, it may seem unkind but its true. As we know, Hammy had injury problems last year but he's been part and parcel of a poor defence for years now. My one fear with Dunne is his injury record. Still we trust in Robbo to make the correct decisions.

Hopefully he will be first choice left back. Stevie Hammell is now at the end of his playing career, it may seem unkind but its true. As we know, Hammy had injury problems last year but he's been part and parcel of a poor defence for years now. My one fear with Dunne is his injury record. Still we trust in Robbo to make the correct decisions.

Hammell has needed replacing for some time but we've failed miserably with ZFA, Straker, Chalmers and Jules. I doubt Dunne, who by his own admission prefers to play centre half, will do any better. Here's hoping Adam Livingstone is capable of making the step up when the opportunity inevitably arises.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I absolutely loved Robinsons repost to the Chrissy Cadden offer question. Shot down immediately saying the offer wasn't worth discussing but used it as an opportunity to big up one of our most sellable assets and 'one of the best young players in scotland'.

Exactly what we need to be doing. Yes we've got talented players and yes they are for sale but only if you're prepared to stump up the cash.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I absolutely loved Robinsons repost to the Chrissy Cadden offer question. Shot down immediately saying the offer wasn't worth discussing but used it as an opportunity to big up one of our most sellable assets and 'one of the best young players in scotland'.

Exactly what we need to be doing. Yes we've got talented players and yes they are for sale but only if you're prepared to stump up the cash.

The key part for me was him pointing out that Cadden could see out his contract and still be worth considerably more than Hearts offer in development compensation which is the position that I'd hoped we'd have been taken especially as dev fees are much less abstract and the value is clear to work out.

Totally agree that his dismissal of the offer hit the right notes.

Hammell has needed replacing for some time but we've failed miserably with ZFA, Straker, Chalmers and Jules. I doubt Dunne, who by his own admission prefers to play centre half, will do any better. Here's hoping Adam Livingstone is capable of making the step up when the opportunity inevitably arises.

I'm pretty much of a similar view tbh. It'd be nice to bring in an actual left back. I've no problem with having a centre half who can cover there, I'm very much on board with that but an actual dedicated full back to take over from Hammell in due course would be lovely. Dunne, nothing against him, seems very much a "get someone who can do both" option.

One thing I would say re: criticism of Dunne from fans of his former clubs is that according to Doncaster supporters Aaron Taylor-Sinclair is the worst player ever to have played the game, yet because he's known up here due to his time at Thistle he'd probably have fallen into a sympathetic "could do a job" category if we had been looking at him.

In related "could do a job" news that's Stephen Hendrie signed for Southend, where he'd previously spent some time on loan. Apparently "several top flight teams in Scotland" had shown interest.

• Like 1

Weeyin he might well have looked a decent player at Oldham but i think most on here would say we're probably better than them, for players coming from mid table league one or below teams the spfl is a step up and one that plenty haven't been able to make.

• Like 1

I think we'd all like to have a 'proper' left back at left back but reality is that on our budget we need to have players that are versatile and carrying two 'proper' left backs would eat into the budget.

As regards his quality or lack thereof, as with every signing there's a bit of trusting the manager's judgement. In this particular case, the player has played for Robinson before so there's no question of the scout being responsible. Robinson knowing this, you have to figure he's pretty sure that Dunne will be able to do a job. Robinson was quick to sideline Chalmers, Jules, Blyth and Lucas when he felt they couldn't cut it and most fans agreed with him there so we should trust his judgment on Dunne until proved otherwise...

• Like 1

Weeyin he might well have looked a decent player at Oldham but i think most on here would say we're probably better than them, for players coming from mid table league one or below teams the spfl is a step up and one that plenty haven't been able to make.

Again, though, I suspect Robinson knows this. He has experience of both leagues and, as he mentioned in his interview, sees unfulfilled potential in Dunne he hopes to encourage.

In general, we can't afford players from exactly our level our above, so most of our signings are going to be lower league guys we hope to develop.

At the very least, maybe let's just give him a chance to show what he can do before moaning. Although I do realise there are a lot of posters who prefer the latter.

Nearly reacted then saw who posted first choice

• Like 1

I think we'd all like to have a 'proper' left back at left back but reality is that on our budget we need to have players that are versatile and carrying two 'proper' left backs would eat into the budget.

As regards his quality or lack thereof, as with every signing there's a bit of trusting the manager's judgement. In this particular case, the player has played for Robinson before so there's no question of the scout being responsible. Robinson knowing this, you have to figure he's pretty sure that Dunne will be able to do a job. Robinson was quick to sideline Chalmers, Jules, Blyth and Lucas when he felt they couldn't cut it and most fans agreed with him there so we should trust his judgment on Dunne until proved otherwise...

I don't think anyone's denying that on our budget we need versatility, it's a necessary thing.

It may seem like semantics but in this case, given Hammell's advancing years and patchy injury record, I'd have been a bit more up for us bringing in a player who sees his primary position as left back who can cover at centre back rather than the other way around (in the same way as McHugh clearly sees himself as a midfielder but spent most of his early career playing centre half). Maybe we tried to, I don't know but as Lobey_Dosser points out by Dunne's own admission he sees himself as a centre back and that's his preferred position. It just so happens that for the majority of his career it seems he's been asked to play full back. That, to me, is naturally going to affect how he plays the position.

Dunne seems to have attributes that we've lacked he looks quick, he's got height and athleticism. All plus points for me and from Robinson's interview it's clear that he sees unfulfilled potential there. I'm totally on board with that. Unlike Zak Jules he's also played a decent number of first team games at a decent level given he's only 24, so that's good. Ultimately, when it comes down to it the loss of McManus last season was a stark reminder that we need left sided cover so in that respect if Robinson can tap into that potential then adding Dunne has meant he's addressed certain deficiencies. Whether he's any good or not in a technical sense we'll wait and see.

I'd just have been a bit more into us bringing in someone who when asked "what do you think is your best position?" would have come back with a reply of "left back but I've played a number of games at centre half as well but I prefer playing full back". Even more so given Robinson indicated in his interview that we're still looking to bring in another 2 centre backs anyway.

• Like 2

Yes this may be true, but the Football League 1 is also a richer league than the Scottish Premiership. Mid-table and below is our financial power level.

Proof will be in the pudding when we see the players on the pitch, how we set up and what we are asking the players to do. Plenty of players have came from a perceived lower level and done well...plenty have not done so well. It's the market we are in unfortunately.

Looking forward to the season starting and not even long finished!

Yes this may be true, but the Football League 1 is also a richer league than the Scottish Premiership. Mid-table and below is our financial power level.

Yes it is, as I'd expect it to be. Teams like Oxford United and Plymouth will be on a par with the likes of Hibs attendance wise. Others like Northampton and Walsall are similar to Dundee United. On top of that the TV money on offer is far far better than ours in Scotland.

Ok we are signing some decent players (I think!!) but do we have any decent young players that that will come through the under 20's to the first team especially in defence, I have seen some of the younger players last season, not sure that McGuire or Armstrong are ready for the step up.

I am sure that Alan Campbell and Ross McLean will be involved with the first team, but yet again midfielders.

I just hope Stephen Craigen has recruited well for the under 20's as I am sure that SR will have to find a couple of players to promote from the under 20's. as part of his job description.

Ok we are signing some decent players (I think!!) but do we have any decent young players that that will come through the under 20's to the first team especially in defence, I have seen some of the younger players last season, not sure that McGuire or Armstrong are ready for the step up.

I am sure that Alan Campbell and Ross McLean will be involved with the first team, but yet again midfielders.

I just hope Stephen Craigen has recruited well for the under 20's as I am sure that SR will have to find a couple of players to promote from the under 20's. as part of his job description.

We've signed a centre half from Oldham for the u20s, Dylan King. We've also brought in Liam Brown who was playing in Queens Park's first team last season, though he's a (highly rated by all accounts) midfielder.

The stand out players (IMO) for the u20s at the moment are Jake Hastie and David Turnbull.

• Andy_P locked this topic