The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Motherwell, or Louis Moult, have very little control over when we sell him, if indeed we do.

Until we get an offer which meets our valuation, all MFC can do is wait. There's every chance it'll go to the final week of the window again.

• Like 1

No it is sad. It's sad in the most heartfelt way how Scottish football has declined in every respect to the extent that established top flight clubs cannot afford the wage of an English fourth tier journeyman centre half.

I noticed the difference yesterday when considering Lee Erwin. He's a free agent and has been linked with the team for whom I have a season ticket in league 1. I thought about it last night and my thoughts were along the lines of would I want to see him at Motherwell? Yes. Would I want to see him at Charlton? No.

Why? Because he could do a job for one and not the other. Both teams looking to use wingers, both looking at using the 451 or 4231.

And that is really sad.

He's still contracted to Leeds, I've heard their new manager wants to let him prove himself at Leeds. He was also bang average for us scoring 5 goals in the entire season which is a pretty poor return imo, he's definitely not on a par with Moult

Erwin wouldn't be a direct replacement for Moult but he's someone I'd take back at Motherwell. No idea if him and Robinson got on well at Oldham but if they did, I imagine we'll have made enquiries. Erwin certainly offers the athleticism that Robinson craves.

Having said all that, he's being linked with the likes of Charlton and MK Dons so would be surprised to see him leaving Leeds without a deal to an English club being close to completion.

No it is sad. It's sad in the most heartfelt way how Scottish football has declined in every respect to the extent that established top flight clubs cannot afford the wage of an English fourth tier journeyman centre half.

I think 90% of this situation is due to the ridiculous amounts of money that are spent in English football. Obviously it starts in the EPL. but that has a knock-on effect where 3rd and 4th tier clubs are desperate to get a share of the spoils and throw money at their team to try and buy success. My "wee" team at Forest Green Rovers is an example of that. When I used to watch them in the late 80s/early 90s they were a typical non-league local team. Now they have a new owner pumping in money to try and get them established in the senior leagues.

I think 90% of this situation is due to the ridiculous amounts of money that are spent in English football. Obviously it starts in the EPL. but that has a knock-on effect where 3rd and 4th tier clubs are desperate to get a share of the spoils and throw money at their team to try and buy success. My "wee" team at Forest Green Rovers is an example of that. When I used to watch them in the late 80s/early 90s they were a typical non-league local team. Now they have a new owner pumping in money to try and get them established in the senior leagues.

Most of that money comes from the ridiculous sums thrown at English football by Sky and BT while the Scottish game gets offered peanuts. My "wee" team AFC Fylde also have a multi millionaire throwing cash at them to try and achieve league status. And don't get me started on agents who take millions from the game and give nothing back.

Agents are bad enough, but a huge chunk of the TV money goes on players' transfer fees and wages. Which again inflates the salaries of even the worst lower league players, making it difficult for the Scottish game to compete.

Our own League's underselling of our game is an additional factor.

• Like 1

When it comes to petty point scoring on grammar you have to wonder.

It's not really point-scoring when clarifying two very similarly spelt words (should be re-sign though) with completely opposite definitions.

(and it's not grammar, it's spelling - 1-0!)

Yep, that's what I said

Indeed. Though if we want to be totally accurate, it should be re-sign.

It's not really point-scoring when clarifying two very similarly spelt words (should be re-sign though) with completely opposite definitions.

(and it's not grammar, it's spelling - 1-0!)

Technically, it's punctuation. This one's going to penalties.

Loosers!

• Like 2

As Robinson pointed out, we'll get about 600k or more if Cadden leaves at the end of his contract. Added to the fact he still has 2 years left on his contract, it will need to be a sizeable offer.

It now looks that the 25-year-old will sign a contract extension with Well and Robinson said: "Louis is a Motherwell player, he is contracted to Motherwell Football Club and if somebody bids an acceptable offer that we think is a good deal for the club and a good deal for Louis then we will look at it.

From the BBC. Must be a typo ?

• Andy_P locked this topic