The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Really would have liked to get someone a bit more experienced given our current back three is probably Kipre Heneghan Dunne but must have a decent ability if he was at Man City. At the very least should techincally have something about him. Would be interesting to hear St Mirren fans view on him. We sorely needed another defender in so fair play to the club for acting. Just need a striker and that should be our business done

I recall Plummer making an impression against us in the 1-0 Erwin game which prompted me to browse this thread:

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38719-ellis-plummer-adam-drury-progress/

He doesn't provide the experience Robinson was initially looking for but he could be a player of some potential if he's fully recovered from his injury problems. Always like the sound of a naturally gifted footballer.

I recall Plummer making an impression against us in the 1-0 Erwin game which prompted me to browse this thread:

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38719-ellis-plummer-adam-drury-progress/

He doesn't provide the experience Robinson was initially looking for but he could be a player of some potential if he's fully recovered from his injury problems. Always like the sound of a naturally gifted footballer.

Had a look on google yesterday when he was mentioned and noticed that in his trial games with both Bradford and Chesterfield he was playing left back. In the blurb about him signing the first position Robinson mentions him playing is left back, so given it seems he's not 6ft+ I wonder if he's been brought in primarily as a left back.

Obviously you get the occasional centre half who's 5ft 10 or thereabouts but given I don't imagine we've gone out and signed the new Cannavaro it could be this is our left back cover.

Had a look on google yesterday when he was mentioned and noticed that in his trial games with both Bradford and Chesterfield he was playing left back. In the blurb about him signing the first position Robinson mentions him playing is left back, so given it seems he's not 6ft+ I wonder if he's been brought in primarily as a left back.

Obviously you get the occasional centre half who's 5ft 10 or thereabouts but given I don't imagine we've gone out and signed the new Cannavaro it could be this is our left back cover.

I believe Dunne mentioned in his first interview that he prefers centre back to left back so works out I suppose.

I don't know anything of the player but it seems sensible to have brought someone in at this juncture ahead of Sunday. With Heneghan, Hammell and McManus all doubtful the additional cover will do us no harm.

The fact that there's a degree of versatility about Plummer has to be a positive in the medium term too with McManus appearing to be creaking at the seems a bit and looking like he's going to be a while away yet from being able to do a full ninety and Hammell frustratingly susceptible to niggly injuries that prevent him getting the run of games he needs, it seems a sensible enough acquisition. Again with the caveat that I know little about it.

As I have said previously I don't like the way we are going with all these new signings. Have we just abandoned our youth set up?. No point I in us building a good youth set up if we don't give lads a chance. We would then struggle to attract youngsters to join the academy. I fear Campbell will disappear despite being excellent at end of last season. Mind you if we are getting results on the park then it is justified but I just feel we are ignoring our young players. COYW

I really do hope SR knows what he is doing. I did have faith in him last season, unfortunately I have my doubts.

The team certainly needed refreshing after what we went through last season, but I am just not 100% convinced that we will be better of than last season!

Fortunately he quite rightly addressed the goalkeeping problem from last season.

I just feel we are getting third or fourth rate type players from the English lower divisions and as someone also mentioned I think our team will have the lowest amount of Scots playing for us.

Our latest addition Ellis Plummer I know absolutely nothing about him apart from being a product of Manchester City youth team, but does not necessary mean he is any good.

My own worry is also if we loose Moult/Cadden at the last minute with no replacement before the deadline.

I will be estatic if we do better than last season, but with ten new players in place I have my doubts.

Cadden and Tait appear to be the only Scot's in the preferred starting 11.

That's mental! Not that I particularly care what nationality our players are.

Plummer not getting a great write up on p&b. Too be taken with a massive pinch of salt of course.

Cadden and Tait appear to be the only Scot's in the preferred starting 11.

That's mental! Not that I particularly care what nationality our players are.

Plummer not getting a great write up on p&b. Too be taken with a massive pinch of salt of course.

I'm not averse to the signing of Plummer as he should address an area of immediate concern where we presumably don't have any youth prospects on the verge of breaking through.

However, the mass recruitment from the lower English leagues does concern me. I do understand the financial implications of the Scottish market (an out of contract Sibbald can't get a team due to the compensation) but I think we could have possibly done more to strike a better balance. Having said that, Robinson and Lasley have repeatedly talked about the importance of having good characters so maybe the lack of a local influence will have limited impact.

The deeper concern for me is the future of widely admired talents like Campbell, MacLean and Hastie. I've always maintained that if you are good enough you will get a chance at Motherwell. It's early days but with these boys currently spending a fair bit of time in the stands, my theory could be out the window this season.

The Scottish transfer market is troubling. It's obviously good for us if we can get a development fee for guys like Erwin, but makes it very difficult to sign anyone from the Scottish lower leagues. Robinson said he wanted to give the team some local identity, but it hasn't worked out that way yet. Although there are a few players signed up for only a year, so maybe the plan is to develop some U20s to replace them.

As always, time will tell.

The deeper concern for me is the future of widely admired talents like Campbell, MacLean and Hastie. I've always maintained that if you are good enough you will get a chance at Motherwell. It's early days but with these boys currently spending a fair bit of time in the stands, my theory could be out the window this season.

This is kind of the nagging concern for me however it depends on whether there's a broader plan in place. There may be, there may not I don't know. If it's the case that the squad has just been filled up and MacLean, Campbell, Hastie and Turnbull will just be sitting on their arse then it's clearly a problem, if it's the case that there's a view to them being loaned out to get regular first team games then it's less of an issue for me. In fact it makes a bit more sense IMO and I seem to recall that being a key part of the evaluation aspect of Project Brave (unless of course that whole thing has been binned now?).

Obviously we need bodies here to cover suspension, injury and loss of form. For too long we've essentially been running with a squad that's had absolutely zero depth so the idea of there possibly being competition for places is quite a novel one and that's the balance that needs to be struck.

Despite all the activity, as it stands it looks like we've still brought in less than we released at the end of the season however it seems that those we've brought in are more likely to be nailed on starters. In fact even someone like Andy Rose looks like he's more likely to be a squad player with a central midfield of Cadden, McHugh and Bigirimana.

• Like 3

• Andy_P locked this topic