The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

MacLean? He isn't an out and out winger...

So, what you're saying is that although he's played there in the past, his position is central midfield. I've not seen a lot of him so I'll defer to you on that. That being the case we only have one out and out winger in the first team squad.

I've not seen a helluva lot of McLean but did see him up at Stirling Albion and he was the stand-out player on the park for me, playing at centre-mid.

The Louis Moult saga rumbling on is a really strange one. The Club are saying all the right things, while the player looks absolutely scunnered on the park. We probably do want to sell him, and therefore need to keep playing him, but any scout watching him scowl, foul and fall his way through 90mins won't be interested.

Its going to be interesting how this plays out

• Like 1

The Louis Moult saga rumbling on is a really strange one. The Club are saying all the right things, while the player looks absolutely scunnered on the park. We probably do want to sell him, and therefore need to keep playing him, but any scout watching him scowl, foul and fall his way through 90mins won't be interested.

I don't know but is it possible he's looking scunnered because he's being asked to play in a role ie a lone striker, to which he's just not suited? If true, any scout watching him just now will know that.

I've not seen a helluva lot of McLean but did see him up at Stirling Albion and he was the stand-out player on the park for me, playing at centre-mid.

Its going to be interesting how this plays out

Personally I think he won't be sold this transfer window, I can see him maybe singing a pre contract with another team in January and then running his contract down so we end up with nothing for him. Its all very well throwing figures about re what we think he is worth etc but if there are no potential buyers out there then he will be staying where he is.

• Like 1

After Saturday's game I'm wondering how many first team squad wingers we have? It seems to me that we have one who Robbo trusts - ie Frear. We seem to have a few last season but only one this season. He doesn't sem to think MacLean is quite ready yet, and Jake Hastie won't be appearing on the bench in the next 6 months anyway.

At the start of the season I assumed Frear would be first pick, which he is; MacLean would be starting the odd game or two with some sub appearances thrown in; and Hastie would make the bench occasionally.

Still, in Robbo we trust.

I agree with the comments stating that MacLean isn't a natural winger. He may be able to offer something there but it's not his natural position. I know Tanner has featured mainly as a second striker so far but I suspect that Robinson might have seen him as an option there.

Other thought that strikes me is that Robinson may always have had 352 in mind as his default formation and therefore didn't prioritise a winger as a new signing. Certainly a few of the new signings look more comfortable in that formation. Whether it's a case that we've signed players with that shape in mind or we have found that 352 suits the players we have signed, I don't know...

So, what you're saying is that although he's played there in the past, his position is central midfield. I've not seen a lot of him so I'll defer to you on that. That being the case we only have one out and out winger in the first team squad.

MacLean's a midfielder/attacking midfielder. he can play as a wide mid but as Onthefringes says he's not an out and out winger. His game isn't beating full backs, hitting the bye line and putting in crosses in the same way as say Frear, Johnson et al.

For what it's worth, despite the club news story describing him such, Jake Hastie isn't really a winger either. He's more an inside forward.

Unless we have a genuine option for left wing back 3-5-2 is out the window.

I agree on that. Has Plummer been brought in with this in mind? I don't know but he certainly seems to have different attributes to Dunne. Robinson has used Frear there, and this is no criticism of Frear, but it is not his game.

Frear is becoming a real question mark in the squad. I feel that he offers a great deal but he is an anomaly in that he is the only player in the squad that truly doesn't seem to have a natural place in a 352...

Looks like the money is starting to be splashed around between clubs in England now, suppose we may start to see if there is any real interest in Moult, Cadden and Heneghan shortly or if the papers are just making it up.

On that subject, Hull have also just agreed a deal to sell Clucas to Swansea, so may free up extra funds in their chase for Johnson as well. So we may get a wee windfall that may allow us to bring someone else in without them going.

• Like 1

Personally I think he won't be sold this transfer window, I can see him maybe singing a pre contract with another team in January and then running his contract down so we end up with nothing for him. Its all very well throwing figures about re what we think he is worth etc but if there are no potential buyers out there then he will be staying where he is.

the problem with any of the players running there contracts down is if they sign a pre contract with anyone after January, what type of player would we be left with for the rest of the season? Don't think they would risk getting injured and ruin the chance of a massive wage increase and to be honest who would blame them. However to sell any of our most important players at the end of the transfer window without the opportunity to replace them would be extremely risky. I hate pre contracts, they normally only benefit the bigger teams. Saying that, the whole of football is only structured to suit the bigger clubs now.
  • Like 2

Marvin Johnson to Birmingham pretty much a done deal according to a Brummy mate. Seems we will be getting a small windfall.

A load of his mates were in Daniels one Saturday a couple of seasons ago and they were all Birmingham fans so probably the ideal move for him.

Celtic signed a Polish guy on a precontract than cancelled it when he got injured so it can be done (if a club has no scruples).

It can definitely happen. Seems that the devil is in both in the detail of the individual contract, and in the detail of the laws of the country in question.

Then there was the whole Richie Brittain pre-contract battle between St. Johnstone and Ross County.

Marvin Johnson to Birmingham pretty much a done deal according to a Brummy mate. Seems we will be getting a small windfall.

Edited to add that the fee is around £2m.

Probably a couple of hundred grand. At least one wage could be squeezed out of that even if we are giving some of it to Hutchison and Boyle...

Do sell-ons count as transfer income (for the purpose of paying off our loans)? I remember someone from the Board answering that question, but I don't remember what that answer is.

If they do, I think that leaves us with about 40%.

I just get the feeling Moult will stay for the season and we'll punt Henegan during the window. We'll sign another defender also. Our mantra is to sell one player a season . Robinson is fully aware if we lose Moult and Cadden we fight relegation again simple as that.

• Andy_P locked this topic