The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I agree with you that we need another central defender as things stand and that McHugh should stay in midfield. However if Heneghan leaves that would leave us needing two central defenders. If two suitable players aren't available but we can find one defender and a midfielder good enough to take McHugh's place in midfield, it's a solution I could live with. I stress that I'd prefer McHugh to stay in midfield but sometimes you need to adapt to the situation you find yourself in and McHugh at the end of last season certainly showed himself a more than adequate central defender...

You keep on punting this narrative about McHugh to centre half. Why are you so sure that a) McHugh sees that as a viable option in a time other than when necessity demands it b) He may prefer centre mid. c) Robinson values his contribution in defence over central midfield?

Is it purely because he played there for half a dozen games last year and didn't make an arse of it?

McHugh played centre half for Bradford and Plymouth before moving into midfield.

I think he would be disappointed to go back there though. You can see him improving enough to play centre mid for a Championship team but he's too small to play centre half at a higher level.

Genuine question, but how do so many of us know as a fact that the development fee for Chris Cadden would be £600k? Not being snide, just curious.

Having said that, I think we could get close to a milly for him if we sell him today.

You keep on punting this narrative about McHugh to centre half. Why are you so sure that a) McHugh sees that as a viable option in a time other than when necessity demands it b) He may prefer centre mid. c) Robinson values his contribution in defence over central midfield?

Is it purely because he played there for half a dozen games last year and didn't make an arse of it?

He only converted to midfield in his last season at Plymouth. Prior to that, he played as a defender...

Liam Grimshaw story seems to be growing now with PNS Fans tweeting that he is on his way up here. As well as the media.

Just seen a tweet suggesting Bristol Rovers have agreed a deal and Heneghan is heading down for medical and talks.

In fairness, anytime I've seen McHugh this season in midfield he more often than not finds an opposition player with his passes. I really rate the guy and hope he keeps getting better in the midfield role but based on his performances so far his season he's looked better at centre half. So if needs must and we lost Heneghan then I'd be comfortable with him moving there. After all, it might allow young Campbell to start more.

• Like 2

Liam Grimshaw story seems to be growing now with PNS Fans tweeting that he is on his way up here. As well as the media.

In these days of forums and social media, never sure if it's a chicken and egg situation. Some Preston fans read it on here or twitter and start to post it and then Motherwell fans start to post that the story is being rumoured by Preston fans.

Time will tell. Certainly fits the description of a versatile signing...

Just seen a tweet suggesting Bristol Rovers have agreed a deal and Heneghan is heading down for medical and talks.

Just saw the same tweet. Think it's Blackburn Rovers (different BRFC?) and have seen £500k quoted by a Chester fan miffed that they don't have a sell on.

If true, good business by us...

Genuine question, but how do so many of us know as a fact that the development fee for Chris Cadden would be £600k? Not being snide, just curious.

Having said that, I think we could get close to a milly for him if we sell him today.

When a player moves to England, there is a fairly complicated formula used to establish the development fee owed by the club that signs him. It's based on a few things, including how many years he spent at the parent club and what division the new club play in.

The longer the player has been at the parent club and the higher the division the signing club play in, the bigger the development fee.

So it's an educated guess on how much we can get for him, but we have Lee Erwin as a benchmark, so it's a pretty reasonable guess.

There's a formula for cross border compensation for u23s and he's 22 when his contract ends. There are different categories of club which involve different levels of compensation.

The only problem is if you end up with a situation like Craig Sibbald where no one wants to pay the compensation but the player wants to leave.

We don't know we will get 600k that's for sure. As weeyin suggests it's based on a formula which includes a number of factors namely how many years at the club and what club he moves to. If he moves to a club like Leeds, like Lee Erwin did, then we know roughly what the combo would be e.g. Just over £500k. Any leagues below that then we won't get near that value I'm afraid.

We don't know we will get 600k that's for sure. As weeyin suggests it's based on a formula which includes a number of factors namely how many years at the club and what club he moves to. If he moves to a club like Leeds, like Lee Erwin did, then we know roughly what the combo would be e.g. Just over £500k. Any leagues below that then we won't get near that value I'm afraid.

It can still be worked out for League One.

All the figures are on the UEFA website.

There's a formula for cross border compensation for u23s and he's 22 when his contract ends. There are different categories of club which involve different levels of compensation.

The only problem is if you end up with a situation like Craig Sibbald where no one wants to pay the compensation but the player wants to leave.

Another very good point made above regarding the limitations of competnsation or development fees. A player could be frozen out of football, or forced to sign a new contract to get them beyond 23 against their wishes, to move from their club.

Interesting stuff. Sounds like it's a wee bit of a gamble, especially if something like this happens...

I'd be leaning towards "sell" as opposed to "wait and see", providing the bid is decent enough.

Would hope we could put some of that Marvin money to good use. Wouldn't think Oxford would be willing to pay what we want for Cadden but I do hope he stays past this window at least.

Think most of that money will go to our previous benefactors to pay off our loans

• Andy_P locked this topic