The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Sorry I just dont get what people see in Bigirimana, I actually think he was one of the poor summer signings. Yes he occasionally has an impact coming off the bench but is he honestly ever going to be good enough to hold down a first team place ? I just dont see it.

He's about the only one in the full squad who can play a forward pass.

We should have hung onto Moult then as it'll cost us a lot more than the transfer fee as we slip down the league.

We have slipped down the league while Moult is still 100% our player. That's why we need to do more than replace only him.

Sorry I just dont get what people see in Bigirimana, I actually think he was one of the poor summer signings. Yes he occasionally has an impact coming off the bench but is he honestly ever going to be good enough to hold down a first team place ? I just dont see it.

Bigi reminds me a lot of Morgaro Gomis. Decent with the ball at his feet but often tries to spend far too long on the ball.

Yip. The guy was fantastic for Coventry and played at Wembley so he can handle anything we have up here. We need to find a system that allows him to play. There is a definate player there, we just need to give him a proper chance

It was mentioned on BBC last night that Robinson has plans for 2 strikers, well probably end up with more.

Regarding Bigi, I got the impression in the summer that we were going to build the team around him and McHugh but for a variety of reasons, that hasnt materialised. Hes the technical type of player I like to watch and he certainly doesnt lack effort but he just doesnt look suited to our style of play, few footballers do to be fair.

Given hes one of our higher earners and has a young family, I wouldnt be surprised to see him return South in Jan. He wont be short of offers.

It was mentioned on BBC last night that Robinson has plans for 2 strikers, well probably end up with more.

Regarding Bigi, I got the impression in the summer that we were going to build the team around him and McHugh but for a variety of reasons, that hasnt materialised. Hes the technical type of player I like to watch and he certainly doesnt lack effort but he just doesnt look suited to our style of play, few footballers do to be fair.

Given hes one of our higher earners and has a young family, I wouldnt be surprised to see him return South in Jan. He wont be short of offers.

Hes just another summer signing that has not shown enough. Yes he has technical ability and he does put himself about but his contribution to this season has been pretty poor overal. He is definitely the type of player that as you say suits a certain style of play and its not us and never will be on my view. Hes a luxury we cant afford.

• Like 1

The weird thing about our current situation is that earlier in the season some of us were raving about how our goals were coming from different places (12 different goalscorers by my count). Unfortunately most of them havent scored again since that initial run.

The risk with our model of bringing up players from England is that some wont fit in, and thats just something that cant be avoided. Im sure we do our homework beforehand, and Im sure the players in question assume its going to work out. However, we arent paying the kind of money that can persuade someone to persevere, especially when just about any club in England can pay more than us.

Like the rest of you Im hoping the rumoured unsettled ones are the not so good players.

Are McHugh, Rose, Campbell and Grimshaw not essentially the same style of player?

Not really. McHugh is a deep lying, slow, holding midfielder cum centre back; Campbell is a terrier like aggressive midfielder; Rose is a box to box cleaner upper if you like; and Grimshaw is an aggressive all action sort who can play wide.

Interested to see what kind of strikers Robinson has lined up. Last few interviews he seems to have mentioned targeting guys in the lower leagues of Scotland. Previously we more or less exclusively recruited from League 1, 2 and Conference. Sounds like we might be widening the net somewhat, I've been keen on this for a while now. For every dud in the lower reaches of Scotland there is a Lewis Morgan waiting to be uncovered. Just like down south for every Jacob Blyth there is a Louis Moult.

There is some decent players in the championship here but it's mainly just down to good scouting and a slice of luck. Price tags are perhaps a bit higher but there is still guys there who are affordable with potential.

Another untapped resource is abroad. Accies have a lower wage build than us and manage to attract guys from a decent level. Not saying I'd jump at any of their guys but would like to see us looking far and wide. I've had the impression for a while now that we essentially are working off a few scouts in a select few leagues.

I've got faith in Robinson and our chief scouts for the most part. You are always going to have a mixed bag recruitment wise but we need to recruit a decent quality of striker this window. A Ryan Bowman esq signing isnt going to cut it

• Like 2

The weird thing about our current situation is that earlier in the season some of us were raving about how our goals were coming from different places (12 different goalscorers by my count). Unfortunately most of them havent scored again since that initial run.

That must be including league cup matches against diddy teams because we have 8 league scorers.

To be honest that's not hugely abnormal against the league average but it does contrast with teams like, say, Aberdeen, who have 16 different league goal scorers, or Hamilton, who have 15 different league goal scorers.

However there is a form of insurance there. Maybe Hamilton have 13 points out the last 10 matches to our 5 because they aren't dependent on one guy to score for them....

I think we should be changing tact from Jan onwards to get the most out of Tanner. For me that would be a 4-2-3-1 system with Carson, Tait - Kipre - Hartley - Dunne/Hammill, Campbell - McHugh, Frear - Tanner - Cadden, New Striker.

Funnily enough, that's the shape and personnel I'd use. Means that any new striker we bring in would have to be one that could play up front on his own. None of our current strikers have that ability..

The recruitment done over the summer was praised, and I think overall there are some positives, but if you look at it more closely Id say that Carson and hartley, with maybe Kipre are the good signings, and the rest are pretty average or lived up to their status as backup. So I think that means if we want 3 good players in January, we need to sign 13

Did Willie Falconer miss a penalty on his debut or am I imagining that?

Oh for the days before the internet of going to Fir Park under the floodlights and hearing on the radio on your way to the game that you had a new striker.

I still remember the buzz I got when I heard we had signed Tommy Coyne on the way to the game

Oh for the days before the internet of going to Fir Park under the floodlights and hearing on the radio on your way to the game that you had a new striker.

I still remember the buzz I got when I heard we had signed Tommy Coyne on the way to the game

Tommy Coyne is the one that always sticks in my mind. Seeing him unveiled on Reporting Scotland before leaving for Fir Park. Patrick Thistle iirc?

Regarding Kipre, there have been 1 or 2 hints from the manager to suggest they are anticipating bids in Jan.

The first I knew about Tommy Coyne was when he ran out the tunnel. I seem to remember it being a midweek game under the lights.

"Wait is that....holy shit that's Tommy Coyne!"

Imagine we all went along on Saturday and Leigh Griffiths ran out the tunnel in a Motherwell shirt without any warning. That's what it was like. Ha ha, a funny memory.

The first I knew about Tommy Coyne was when he ran out the tunnel. I seem to remember it being a midweek game under the lights.

"Wait is that....holy shit that's Tommy Coyne!"

Imagine we all went along on Saturday and Leigh Griffiths ran out the tunnel in a Motherwell shirt without any warning. That's what it was like. Ha ha, a funny memory.

I remember sitting on a Hutchy bus from Coltness to Fir Park for a game when it was announced on the radio news. Being a young lad I remember being very excited about the signing which didnt disappoint. Even better when he ran out.

Cant remember who the opponent was, think it was maybe Dundee.

That used to be something that happened regular, some random coming out the team and you only found out his name over the tannoy (aye it worked) or by reading a programme.

Anyone else hearing rumours of a championship club being interested in Kipre?

Would be astounded if that were the case. Mind you, a championship side came in for Heneghan so anything is possible. Irrespective of what you think of Kipré, have to figure that Robinson won't want to have to replace two members of his starting eleven in the same January window...

• Andy_P locked this topic