The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Bigi has talent but he is failing to deliver. He takes way too much time on the ball before playing a pass. If we can offload him we should.

That's why his role yesterday made sense, as he had more time there.

If Robinson serious about getting rid of "so-called ball players" he'll be getting rid of this so-called fan too.

There's plenty of teams that play the high pressing game that can play a bit of football too -it's not an either/or proposition.

The teams that are scrappers-only are almost always in the bottom 6.

If Robinson serious about getting rid of "so-called ball players" he'll be getting rid of this so-called fan too.

There's plenty of teams that play the high pressing game that can play a bit of football too -it's not an either/or proposition.

I dont have any issues with having more ball players in the team. I'd love us to play the ball on the deck more and be more entertaining.

Im just not seeing it from Bigi. Time after time yesterday, moreso in tbe second half, there was a team mate in space but by the time he controlled it did his wee pirhouette and decided there wasnt a better option the player was marked and he either lost possession or put another team mate under unecessary pressure.

Id love him to be the player we thought we were getting, and there have been flashes of it, but he is so inconsistent. Very frustrating to watch.

Robinson seems to be happy to play ball players. But not ball players who continually fail to deliver. Hence,he has to go back to the less technical players at his disposal.

Agenda?

We are bottom of the form table and the team in 10th has TWICE as many points as us. We haven't won at Fir Park since September. We've lost 6 consecutive away league matches. We have 1 clean sheet in our last 11 matches.

I'm afraid there's a problem and it's a fact that we are on one of our worst runs this decade.

The team in 10th have 5 points more than us over 10 games. Not a massive gap.

When you posted that we'd played Hibs, Celtic and Dundee at Fir Park since September with draws vs Celtic and Dundee and a 1-0 defeat to Hibs. Nice way to add spin to the facts though.

6 away defeats - I'll give you that. Pish. But with the exception of the 2 OF games, they've been by one goal with the spine of our team out for almost every game.

1 clean sheet in 11 isn't great but keeping a clean sheet isn't as as easy as it sounds:

Rangers have only 4 in 11.

Hibs have only 3 in 11.

Killie 2 in 11.

Here's the facts I'll focus on:

Our bad run started on the 2nd of December in a 5-1 defeat to Celtic. That was 29 days ago and of the 7 games, I'd say there were 3 real disappointments - defeats to Accies, Killie and Partick. In that time we've been without 4 or 5 of our first picks.

We started the season August 6th and in the 115 days up to our 1-1 draw with Celtic on the 29th November we had 2 disappointing results - 4-1 vs St Johnstone and 3-2 vs Ross County. In that time we beat Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen twice, drew with Celtic and Hibs. It really wasn't that long ago.

• Like 2

Haven't seen his interview yet, but if he's complaining about 'having to' use ball players then sounds like he's admitting to being a one dimensional long ball manager. Which may well be true but odd if a manager admits it...

To be fair his long ball tactics got us to the final. Its since he changed the formation against Aberdeen that things went down hill. Beating them that day with grimshaw in the team playing a diamond may have turned out to be the worst thing that happened.

... its just merely rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Sadly, that’s what supporting Motherwell (or pretty much any Scottish team) has become, and it isn't going to get better any time soon. There’s a vicious circle of poor quality, dwindling attendances, no cash, desperate signings from leagues we’d never heard of a decade ago, managerial sackings, repeat ad infinitum. If it’s not our turn this year, it will be at some point. Nobody’s immune, just ask Hearts, Hibs, or Dundee Utd, or some of the other teams that are maybe never coming back up.

I’ve supported Motherwell for over 50 years, and through all the highs and lows at least I always felt that there was hope for the future, that our time would come, and go, and come again. And at least there was something worth watching on the park, most weeks. When players left Scotland they went for decent money to the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd – now it’s to Wigan or Preston, for buttons. All that comes back the other way now are has-beens in the twilight of their career looking for one last wage, or a bunch of shiftless and increasingly-talentless mercenaries that strut their hour upon the stage and then are seen no more.

Oh dear, I think I must be seasonally depressed – the weary rant above is what a run like this one does to you. Still, fuck it, eh? You can’t stop being a ‘Well fan just because everything’s total shit. Maybe the next roll of the dice will be different. COYW!

• Like 1

Sadly, thats what supporting Motherwell (or pretty much any Scottish team) has become, and it isn't going to get better any time soon. Theres a vicious circle of poor quality, dwindling attendances, no cash, desperate signings from leagues wed never heard of a decade ago

Cool, I mean, aside from attendances being on the rise, more money coming into the league year on year and 'desperate signings' including guys like Louis Moult and Marvin Johnson, two of the most enjoyable players I've seen play for us.

So that circle is looking dead vicious, tbh.

The team in 10th have 5 points more than us over 10 games. Not a massive gap.

When you posted that we'd played Hibs, Celtic and Dundee at Fir Park since September with draws vs Celtic and Dundee and a 1-0 defeat to Hibs. Nice way to add spin to the facts though.

6 away defeats - I'll give you that. Pish. But with the exception of the 2 OF games, they've been by one goal with the spine of our team out for almost every game.

1 clean sheet in 11 isn't great but keeping a clean sheet isn't as as easy as it sounds:

Rangers have only 4 in 11.

Hibs have only 3 in 11.

Killie 2 in 11.

Here's the facts I'll focus on:

Our bad run started on the 2nd of December in a 5-1 defeat to Celtic. That was 29 days ago and of the 7 games, I'd say there were 3 real disappointments - defeats to Accies, Killie and Partick. In that time we've been without 4 or 5 of our first picks.

We started the season August 6th and in the 115 days up to our 1-1 draw with Celtic on the 29th November we had 2 disappointing results - 4-1 vs St Johnstone and 3-2 vs Ross County. In that time we beat Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen twice, drew with Celtic and Hibs. It really wasn't that long ago.

Love this calendar angle. It's 92 days since we won a home match but that doesn't matter a jot how many days it was. Leagues are decided on points.

5 points isn't massive if you can actually win games but we can't. As it stands it might as well be a 100 points.

We've played 11 league matches, since the 28th October, and won 1, drawn 2 and lost 8. That's close to a third of the season's matches. Oh, and two of those draws were secured with an OG and a penalty in matches we could have played all night and not scored from open play.

If we fail to beat Ross County in the next league match our next two league matches are away to Hibs and Hearts so it could easily be 13 or 14 league matches with 1 win.

If you think that's fine, great, good on you, but as far as I'm concerned Robinson has to win the next two matches or his position is open to serious question. Plenty managers have been fired for less, including three in this division, this season, because we are currently on the worst run of any team in the division.

Cool, I mean, aside from attendances being on the rise, more money coming into the league year on year and 'desperate signings' including guys like Louis Moult and Marvin Johnson, two of the most enjoyable players I've seen play for us.

Yes, there are exceptions, of course there are, but the overall trend is ever downwards. For every diamond there's an awful lot of dross who can't seem to get even the basics right, you know, like passing to a team mate. My worry is that it's ever more of a lottery trying to find those occasional gems (or to develop our own through the youth system before the big boys from League One snaffle them for their reserve team bench) and it's not like we're the only ones out there digging.

Love this calendar angle. It's 92 days since we won a home match but that doesn't matter a jot how many days it was. Leagues are decided on points.

5 points isn't massive if you can actually win games but we can't. As it stands it might as well be a 100 points.

We've played 11 league matches, since the 28th October, and won 1, drawn 2 and lost 8. That's close to a third of the season's matches. Oh, and two of those draws were secured with an OG and a penalty in matches we could have played all night and not scored from open play.

If we fail to beat Ross County in the next league match our next two league matches are away to Hibs and Hearts so it could easily be 13 or 14 league matches with 1 win.

If you think that's fine, great, good on you, but as far as I'm concerned Robinson has to win the next two matches or his position is open to serious question. Plenty managers have been fired for less, including three in this division, this season, because we are currently on the worst run of any team in the division.

We've only played 4 home games in those 92 days. Lost 2 (hibs and accies) and drawn 2 (celtic and dundee). Of that, Accies is probably the only kick in the nuts. Again - it's how you choose to spin it.

I don't think current results or performances are fine, however again I think it's a stretch to say 3 managers have been fired for less. Jim McIntyre was harsh in my opinion but the other two?

Cathro was given 2 transfers windows, 10 months and was knocked out the cup to Peterhead and Dunfermline. Win ratio 26%.

McCulloch - failed to win opening 8 despite having full strength squad - win ratio 25%.

I just think Robinson has done enough this season to buy himself a bit more time than you are giving him.

• Like 1

When your best player drops a clanger then stupidly gets himself red carded, when the team plays without cohesion, stucture, or belief, and when you sense a change of mood in the crowd its probably just as well we have a break and a transfer window coming up.

Tanner the only shining light today, and McLean looked capable when he came on.

I really don't get the 'its what you do in both boxes' mantra and I must have fallen asleep at times today because I didn't see a string of missed chances. I saw forwards getting very little to work with and a defence given little cover. Tanner apart we have zero creativity. We are not controlling games in the middle of the park and our problems are stemming from there.

Bad bad day and pressure is on Robbo to sort it. For the first time I have doubts he can and I feel terrible for saying that so soon after praising him earlier. I cannot remember such a negative turn round in form in such a short period of time.

Agree with that assessment Clackscat.

Assuming no-one is sold and no-one is shipped out I'd say we need 2 strikers, a creative midfielder and a central defender. That sounds like a lot. However I suspect a few might be moved on to clear the decks a bit. I think Bowman has to go, for his own good. Joewarkthelegend said to me yesterday that all the negative media publicity he's copped since the league cup semi final has really got to him and he's now not half the player he was a couple of months ago. We all know that the strikers are misfiring but yes, they've had to work with very little ammunition. For all that though its the midfield, and particularly the centre that is underperforming. There is zero creativity, zero pace and it just isn'tm protecting the centre backs. On paper it looks decent enough, but the likes of Rose, McHugh and Grimshaw just aren't doing it. Bigi, at best has been ok. Recently we just haven't been competing in central midfield and before you can work with the ball you have to win it.

Big changes are required this month and we'll see if the management teram are up for it. We also need to bring in bodies quickly as we have a busy schedule at the end of the month. i.e. 3 league game after the cup game.

Interesting, CHarlton, West Ham or us? Who would you choose?

http://jerseyfootballmag.com/news/1090/

Dheeraj quit Indian Arrows for Motherwell...

Rajat Dhamija  |  Indian Arrows  |  5 Hours Ago
:
Ace India U-17 National Team and AIFF’s Developmental side Indian Arrows’ goalkeeper Dheeraj Singh quit Arrows and I-League for a better future outside, as the Scottish Premiership club Motherwell FC has agreed trial terms with the goalie. Dheeraj is expected to leave for Scotland sooner as his Visa application is processed.
Dheeraj, who became a household name after the FIFA U-17 World Cup following his instrumental performances, despite his side only managed to get a point out of the possible nine in the group stages. This was the time when he caught eyes of hundreds of scouts present in the stadiums from all across the world. Dheeraj is currently said to have been offered trials with the League One side Charlton Athletic while the talks with West Ham United are developing as stated by The Times of India.
Recently, Dheeraj played six matches for Arrows, maintaining two Clean Sheets as his side is trying to make a mark among some of the established sides in India’s top-tier football league. In his last fixture, Arrows played stalemate with the giants Mohun Bagan away from home iwherein Dheeraj’s clinched the Man of the Match title for his stunning performance.
Dheeraj’s contract ends today on 31st December 2017, and even though the player was keen on extending his run for a year more, he eventually decided to quit after the All India Football Federation insisted he signs a three-year contract extension like all other players.
"It didn't make sense for Dheeraj to be tied down by another contract for three years (by the AIFF). He wants to trial abroad and try his luck on foreign soil," his agent, Anuj Kichlu, told STOI on Saturday.
The AIFF, on the other hand, said they couldn't make an exception for Dheeraj, especially since all other players had signed long-term contracts.
"We were offering Dheeraj the same contract which we offered to the rest of the team. We are not a club, so cannot differentiate," said a AIFF official.

We've only played 4 home games in those 92 days. Lost 2 (hibs and accies) and drawn 2 (celtic and dundee). Of that, Accies is probably the only kick in the nuts. Again - it's how you choose to spin it.

I don't think current results or performances are fine, however again I think it's a stretch to say 3 managers have been fired for less. Jim McIntyre was harsh in my opinion but the other two?

Cathro was given 2 transfers windows, 10 months and was knocked out the cup to Peterhead and Dunfermline. Win ratio 26%.

McCulloch - failed to win opening 8 despite having full strength squad - win ratio 25%.

I just think Robinson has done enough this season to buy himself a bit more time than you are giving him.

Think you are missing the point about the home matches.

BTW Kilmarnock were missing Power, Dicker and Kiltie at the start of the season. Three first choice players. Not full strength then. The midfield trio of Power, Dicker and Mulumbu have been a big part of the Kilmarnock revivial.

Like I've said to other detractors - where is your line? Do you let this go to 5 points from 45? Do you let us slide into the play off position before you take action? Do you give a guy who has not done that well in the transfer market cash in this window, only to fire him two or three games down the line if we lose them?

The whole transfer window angle on this puts us in a tricky position. It would be easier if we just had a bunch of fixtures to play in the coming weeks but I think the window undoubtedly means we have a decision to make now.

Personally, from a purely footballing point of view, I think Robinson should get a few more games to turn this round but if he fails, both in the upcoming matches and in the transfer market, we are in serious trouble and I think everyone needs to recognise that and that there are decisions to be made and risks to be calculated.

Personally, from a purely footballing point of view, I think Robinson should get a few more games to turn this round but if he fails, both in the upcoming matches and in the transfer market, we are in serious trouble and I think everyone needs to recognise that and that there are decisions to be made and risks to be calculated.

Disagreement on use of stats put to the side. A personal peeve of mine as you know ;-)

In total agreement with your last paragraph.

For me, the risk is far greater to sack him now, spend time finding a replacement, then get the players in we need and get the team ready for the Scottish Cup game in 3 weeks. Less risky, and O think he's earned the right, to get this transfer window and matches in Jan/early Feb.

New singing being workwd through today from what I have read. Should be in early.

Does anyone know of any names of players linked to us or have any inside knowledge of anything

I have heard a few myself from James Keatings to Eoin Doyle

Two names Ive mentioned on here, sheer speculation on my part. Doyle has since been struck down by an illness, rumoured blood clot, so unlikely to be moving.

Keatings would make sense...

Why would Keatings make sense? Hes fucking championship level at best.

This is the very kind of pitfall we need to avoid. I would think that most decent prospects in the Scottish lower leagues would be very young guys say aged 16-18 who would be bought as long term prospects and not immediate first team squad players. Any slightly more mature really decent players are snapped up by English clubs for fees. Thats not to say that you can't pick up the odd gem but its not a market I'd rush into. Faisal El Bakhtoui of Dundee is a case in point. He was scoring goals for fun at Dunfermline but has struggled to make the step up. I don't care where a player comes from so long as he does the business for us. We need to avoid the Keatings of the world.

• Andy_P locked this topic