The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I'm not generally a fan of loaning players from other Scottish teams, especially Celtic. But despite all the evidence to the contrary I've just got this weird gut feeling that Ciftci would be great here. Anyone that celebrates goals at Ibrox before he's even scored them is a good guy in my book.

Nadir+Ciftci+Rangers+v+Dundee+United+Wil

All aboard the Big Mental Nadir hype train.

• Like 1

The guy has scored 8 goals in three years, has pissed his career up a wall and has a habit of biting people...

Would fit right into the current Beast mode Motherwell, where we score fuck all goals and just kick fuck out of people.

Don't worry. Mr Robinson will tell us all how much of a coup this is. Just have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a huge mistake...

I'd take Ciftci in a second. A great player who hasn't played well for ages....ticking that first box is the bit that's difficult, the second part is what coaching is and Louis Moult is evidence that we can get that bit right.

I think a part of our striker problem is that we've been trying to coach things into players who just don't have the raw tools. Moult is the example of where we can take a striker that does, and for me Ciftci falls into that category.

• Like 4

Nadir Ciftci? Nah, not for me I'm afraid...he clearly has an attitude/behavioural problem and has hardly scored a goal since he hit a purple patch with Dundee United a few years ago.

He's also a loan signing from a team in the same league as us, which really doesn't sit right with me, and even worse than that its a Celtic player.

Hopefully the media are wide of the mark and the 'smallish black guy with Curtis Main' is the answer to our goalscoring problems

Cifti represents a big risk and doesn't seem to fit well with Robinson's public stereotype player. On one hand he's a big physical guy who can put himself about and stand up to all but the the biggest of defenders. He's also got loads of skill and an eye for goal. On the other hand he did have an attitude and behavioural problem and was only ever really a success at Dundee United.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. He'd be a gamble which might pay off or backfire.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if this deal actually happens. This has been rumoured for the last few years at various points but for whatever reason hasn't happened. I could have seen McGhee wanting him but it doesn't seem to fit into the Robinson mould as others have alluded to. Never been a huge fan but I would maybe take him if a loan offer is going. Cifti has a wee bit of a record of scoring goals with Utd (but nothing very prolific) although, this was also many moons ago. In saying that, there is obviously untapped potential there, he will have a technical ability that a lot of the guys we are looking at from down south will not possess. It's a fair risk relying on Cifti and Main to get anywhere near the amount of goals Moult got for us. I genuinely thought we would have more concrete replacements lined up. As a few have mentioned, we aren't going to get strikers in who have scored 15+ goals this season from any decent level but I would have thought guys who had atleast some sort of decent contribution in the last few years would have been a possibility. If we are sniffing around Cifti I suspect our options are pretty limited

Goes against the grain of how are recruitment process seems to be these days - bring in an unknown guy with potential, give him a platform, sell him. Of course, this loan if it happens may be indicative of how difficult the January window is so they may just be looking at Ciftci as a stop gap.

Don't particularly like the idea of us doing business with that moron Rogers either. I never have been a huge fan of loans though.

• Like 1

I genuinely thought we would have more concrete replacements lined up. As a few have mentioned, we aren't going to get strikers in who have scored 15+ goals this season from any decent level but I would have thought guys who had atleast some sort of decent contribution in the last few years would have been a possibility. If we are sniffing around Cifti I suspect our options are pretty limited

I'm of the same view. I really did think we'd have a number of targets lined up. Neither Main nor Cifti seem to fit our model ie guys with potential who have scored goals, albeit at a lower level but who haven't realised their potential. In the club's defence though its a difficult window in which to get decent players brought in. As others have said of course other clubs may have upped their demands when they found out just how much we received for Louis Moult. It may be of course that we have a target lined up for the summer and just want a short term fix to tide us over.

Neither Main nor Cifti seem to fit our model ie guys with potential who have scored goals, albeit at a lower level but who haven't realised their potential.

Isn't this exactly what Ciftci is? Obviously with the caveat he wouldn't be ours to sell on.

How about Mark Reynolds? Not getting a game at Aberdeen and I think would do us a turn.

Mark Reynolds is exactly the kind of player we need. A central defender with a bit of pace.

I seem to remember that he just signed a new contract at Aberdeen thought that suggests both parties see his future there.

Having said that Tansey just moved to Ross County....

Sky Sports reporting that Ciftci flew to Tenerife before the squad in order to complete a loan deal while over there. Suppose we just have to wait and see. Alan Burrows on twitter stating we were close to signing one or two more soon, so Ciftci may well be the next one.

• Andy_P locked this topic