The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Ciftci is a huge risk. He plays when he feels like it and that's not really the kind of guy you want in our current position.

On the other hand he's undoubtedly a big upgrade in ability on anyone else we have in the squad.

Pretty much a throw of the dice. Could be two 6's, could be two 1's.

If he sees this as a chance to put himself in the shop window for a permanent move somewhere to kick start his career, and applies himself as such, then he could be a great signing.

However, he hasnt done that in his last few loan stints and is a head case, so that might not happen.

Sometimes that sort of player just needs a couple of early goals to start enjoying his football again and buy in to the squad spirit.

Or he might not get on with someone and turn out to be a huffy bastard!

Who knows but the manager might consider it a risk worth taking?

Hopefully being out of contract in the summer gives him some extra motivation.

Robinson is basically gambling his job on Nadir Ciftci and Curtis Main.

He is indeed.

But that was going to be the case whoever he brought in.

I went and watched Dundee United a dozen or so times the year they kept pumping us and lost the Scottish Cup final to St Johnstone. I thought he was a class act so delighted he is signing (albeit on loan).

If motivated, hopefully he can rediscover his united form and prove that his previous success was not solely down to the quality of Robertson, Armstrong and Gauld that surrounded him.

I still think we will be looking for a 3rd striker to do the job Dimi was brought in for.

Hopefully being out of contract in the summer gives him some extra motivation.

Robinson is basically gambling his job on Nadir Ciftci and Curtis Main.

He is indeed.

But that was going to be the case whoever he brought in.

You two need a long fucking look in a mirror. Alternatively why not look back to the thread where folk on here posted what they expected for the season ahead back in the summer. Most of it was survival, a few top 6 at best and decent cup representation.

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=15537&hl=

Both you two trumpets posts are on page two ... guess what, we're pretty much where you hoped we be. Canny beat getting hoisted by ones own petard eh?

Can you imagine where we'd be without a few shitty refereeing decisions? There's no doubt that sapped the moral from the team.

Despite a crappy run, we've not had a number of guaranteed starters for the past month, we're only a few points off 6th.

If anyone is guilty of anything its all of us for thinking we had enough strength in depth on the bench to step up to the plate when called upon. Many promised a lot and delivered little.

• Like 6

Do I?

Thats interesting.

My response to Steelboys post was a mere observation, almost devils advocate, to the nature of all signings, particularly in the January window.

Dont know where the rest of that irrelevant to Ciftci rant came from though!

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=15537&hl=

Both you two trumpets posts are on page two ... guess what, we're pretty much where you hoped we be. Canny beat getting hoisted by ones own petard eh?

If anyone is guilty of anything its all of us for thinking we had enough strength in depth on the bench to step up to the plate when called upon. Many promised a lot and delivered little.

"Turn up in the cups, play some decent football, stay well clear of relegation, develop a couple of the u20s into genuine first teamers."

We have obviously done well in the League Cup. However the football has been long ball garbage and seems to be getting worse and we are neglecting youth development in favour of dross. We are also right in the relegation battle at the moment.

• Like 2

Ciftci undoubtably has quality, but again the goal drought is a bit concerning.

That said, I don't know the circumstances of how he's been plaing, formation etc during that period.

He didnt really get a look-in at Celtic and no idea about him down south.

You'd like to think being deployed with Tanner, who can create and pick a pass/through-ball and Frear/Tait's delivery from wide areas, it just might come off.

• Like 1

Fisher,bowman,Newell,tanner,Petra , the new guy and now Ciftci

We are doing well for strikers that aint scoring goals at the moment, surely there wont be another on top of Ciftci unless two are moving out permantley or on loan

Neither Tanner nor Petra are out and out strikers.

Ciftci undoubtably has quality, but again the goal drought is a bit concerning.

That said, I don't know the circumstances of how he's been plaing, formation etc during that period.

He didnt really get a look-in at Celtic and no idea about him down south.

You'd like to think being deployed with Tanner, who can create and pick a pass/through-ball and Frear/Tait's delivery from wide areas, it just might come off.

Like you I'm willing to give him a chance and he might be able to resurrect his career here, as others have. The obvious point about Frear is that, although I rate him as a winger, Dunne The Bun couldn't find him with night-sights and a GPS. I was actually hoping Hammell would get more games in 2018, because his passing and crossing is vastly superior, but it's not to be now.

All the best for Hammy anyway.

• Andy_P locked this topic