The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Good interview from Robbo (as usual) at the training camp. He's said that he is looking for possibly 2 defenders. Didn't mention another attacking option, I thought Burrows said something about this but might have been pre Cifti.

Anyway encouraging news, hopefully a full back and a centre back will be in soon. With all the movement I'd be surprised if we don't see a few out the door. Curious to see who we can shift.

My guess would be -

Plummer - not had a chance but seems to be nowhere near the first team, would seem pretty premature but he's taking a wage at the moment for not much.

Fisher - let's be honest it hasn't worked. Feel sorry for the guy but I think we would do well to move him on.

Other than that the only possibilities I can see are Bigi, Demi, Newall or Bowman. All of which might have their negatives but I genuinely think they have something to offer the team.

Cifti interview was surprising, expected him to come across as a bit of a wanker but seemed pretty sincere. I reckon this is gonna work out well for both parties.

Looked almost if some humility had creeped in over time, no doubt driven by the not too glowing messages from Plymouth fans upon hearing he was leaving.

He has to step up to the plate as he's now in that pivotal point of his career.

He was signed by Ronnie at Celtic so take that with a pinch of salt.

Would be surprised if we havent enquired about taking Ben Hall on loan for the season.

Why would we enquire about him ? he is 20 years old and since he left for Brighton he has only made a couple of appearances for their U 23 team in the 18 months since he left, no goals either. He may turn out to be a good player but there is not much evidence to support that, would he get into our current 1st team, no chance, so why would we want him back ?

To be fair, I think he said that if a player is currently playing/scoring goals regularly then we probably cant afford him. But that doesnt necessarily mean he cant score regularly for us.

Teams pay money for guaranteed goalscorers, we have to try and be clever and find players whos stock has dropped recently and figure out how we can turn them around.

Sun confirming Robinson is after Ben Henaghan on loan but Ben has many options so it chances of it happening may be less than 50/50.

Also stating we have bounce game on Saturday lined up against Osterunds. Swedish club if I recall that have come from nowhere to the Europa League Group stages. Wonder where that is taking place ?

Here's the link to the story:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2076771/ben-heneghan-motherwell-sheffield-united-loan-deal-fir-park/

HEN..AGAIN? Motherwell want to take Ben Heneghan back to Fir Park in a loan deal from Sheffield United
The 24-year-old, who cost £400,000, has become frustrated and manager Chris Wilder is ready to let him go out on loan
EXCLUSIVE
By Derek McGregor
10th January 2018, 10:32 pm Updated: 10th January 2018, 10:35 pm
MOTHERWELL boss Stephen Robinson wants to take Ben Heneghan back to Fir Park.
Robinson has confirmed to SunSport he is seeking a loan deal for the defender, who quit Well for Sheffield United on deadline day last August but has yet to play a game.
Ben Heneghan
KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW
Heneghan is a loan target for Stephen Robinson
The 24-year-old, who cost £400,000, has become frustrated and manager Chris Wilder is ready to let him go on loan.
And Robinson has made his pitch for the defender, who played 50 games in his 14 months with the Steelmen.
The Northern Irishman has already landed strikers Curtis Main and Nadir Ciftci this month.
He has targeted at least two more signings, including Heneghan, before Well return from their winter camp in Tenerife to play Hamilton in the Scottish Cup on January 20.
Ciftci has joined on loan from Celtic
Robinson, whose side face Ostersunds in a bounce game on Saturday, said: “I’m in constant touch with Ben. But he’s got a lot of options and other places he could go.
“Ben hasn’t played at Sheffield United and he’s someone we’ve enquired about and spoken to. Our priority is another defender, especially a right-sided one, who can provide competition for Cedric Kipre and give us another right-back option.
“Ben’s aware of our interest and he’s one of a few defenders we’ve had discussions about and are looking at. We’d love to have him back.
“Realistically, it may be difficult for us. But I’ve not ruled it out.”
Robbo confirmed to SunSport he is seeking a loan deal for defender
Robinson has no concerns over loan capture Ciftci despite the Turk flopping in his last two loan moves from Celtic at Pogoń Szczecin and Plymouth.
He added: “I’m very friendly with Darren Jackson while we have Craig Hinchcliffe on our staff here. Both worked with Nadir at Dundee United and speak very highly of him. I’ve also spoken to his mentor, Pierre van Hooijdonk. I’ve heard nothing but positives and I’ve been impressed with him in training.
“He can be a big player for us. I’m also very happy we’ve got Curtis in.”

This is old news no? Told the club he sees himself being loaned to League 1 down there...

Think this is the first time Robinson has been quoted on it. Seems you are right though and the manager is only holding out a slim hope. Reading between the lines if Heneghan hasn't got a League 1 club, and we don't have a defender in come end of the window things could change.

Robinson, whose side face Ostersunds in a bounce game on Saturday, said: “I’m in constant touch with Ben. But he’s got a lot of options and other places he could go.

“Ben hasn’t played at Sheffield United and he’s someone we’ve enquired about and spoken to. Our priority is another defender, especially a right-sided one, who can provide competition for Cedric Kipre and give us another right-back option.

“Ben’s aware of our interest and he’s one of a few defenders we’ve had discussions about and are looking at. We’d love to have him back.

Of course it's tabloid talk and should be viewed as such; and similarly whilst I can't claim to know the protocols involved in such situations but if I were to pick up a paper and read that manager X was quoted as being in constant contact with one of our players, unless permission had been granted I'd be inclined to think...Get yourself to fuck Manager X. Who are you talk transfers with one of our players whilst under contract?

"Ostersunds"

Billy Reid's team.

Hopefully the dugouts are reinforced.

Didnt realise he was there.

Ostersunds story is an interesting one. Based in the middle of nowhere and coached by an Englishman, theyve achieved something like 4 promotions in 5 years, won a cup and beat the likes of Galatasaray and Bilbao in this years Europa League. As far as I know theyre not being bankrolled or anything like that as theyve got a few guys that have been binned by the likes of York City starring for them.

Also interested in signing Liam Henderson apparently.

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic