The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I rate Kipre and Hartley as better than Henneghan so I don't see the point in this move unless Cedric is leaving.

Kipre will not be far away from a suspension and as others have said has been overplayed for such a young inexperienced player so i don't think its a case of getting in someone as good or better, (although that would be great) it's a case of getting in someone who can adequately cover.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Bringing Heneghan back would take a lot of the sheen off of getting rid of him in the first place.

Better to take a chance on another player than bring in someone that wasn't good enough in the first place.

We need a defender but Heneghan is not the answer.

Carl McHugh can cover. So can Dunne . I'd much rather we got a left back and midfielder who can actually pass the ball to help young Campbell out. There's a reason Henegan hasn't played for Sheffield Utd.......he's crap.

Neither can play right side which is where we lack cover and given Hammy is no longer there so options to use Dunne are more limited.

Actually felt our back 4 at Killie looked solid with kipre and dunne in middle and i agree we need a left back.

Wasnt referencing Heneghan per say just saying an alternative/cover shouldn't be dismissed soley cos we don't think it is as good. Long as it is good enough.

At AGM Robbo said midfield is weakened by McHugh having to cover at the back (moot point i know) so it doesn't look like he wants that to be plan b.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Ostersunds story is an interesting one. Based in the middle of nowhere and coached by an Englishman, theyve achieved something like 4 promotions in 5 years, won a cup and beat the likes of Galatasaray and Bilbao in this years Europa League. As far as I know theyre not being bankrolled or anything like that as theyve got a few guys that have been binned by the likes of York City starring for them.

As a swede I'm familiar with Östersunds (Yes it's an Ö, not an O) succes story. They actually went from the fourth divison to the first divison in five years. They have played in the Swedish first tier for two years. I have watched them (on TV) on a few occasions, and when playing Bilbao at home they were completely bullying the spanish side (which strangly ended in a 2-2 draw.). The cold weather and the artifical grass was probably an advantage for Östersund.

You are right on spot with them based in the middle of nowhere. Will be fun to watch when they meet Arsenal in a very, very cold Sweden in february...

Edited by hmlarsson
  • Like 1

As a swede I'm familiar with Östersunds (Yes it's an Ö, not an O) succes story. They actually went from the fourth divison to the first divison in five years. They have played in the Swedish first tier for two years. I have watched them (on TV) on a few occasions, and when playing Bilbao at home they were completely bullying the spanish side (which strangly ended in a 2-2 draw.). The cold weather and the artifical grass was probably an advantage for Östersund.

You are right on spot with them based in the middle of nowhere. Will be fun to watch when they meet Arsenal in a very, very cold Sweden in february...

Sorry, Ill need to brush up on my Swedish! Hah.

Am I right in saying that they dont have a rich owner who is funding their current success?

• Like 1

Bringing Heneghan back would take a lot of the sheen off of getting rid of him in the first place.

Better to take a chance on another player than bring in someone that wasn't good enough in the first place.

We need a defender but Heneghan is not the answer.

Not sure how it would take the sheen off getting 400k for him?

Heneghan struggled latterly but people seem to forget that he was pretty solid prior to this period. In the second half of last season he was paired with the likes of Zak Jules and a one legged Stephen McManus. Put Heneghan in with the likes of Peter Hartley and I think he would do well. I'd much rather take Heneghan on-loan who would fit in very easily rather than bringing another guy up from England that might take time to adapt to the style of play. I wasn't Heneghan's biggest fan by any means but he certainly wasn't as bad as you are making out.

Actually felt our back 4 at Killie looked solid with kipre and dunne in middle and i agree we need a left back.

I agree that they looked solid enough defensively that day, but there is so much more to being a defender than winning tackles and headers in the modern game. Both of their distribution was rank rotten that day and you'd be lucky if either completed a five yard pass competently. I think them playing as LCB and RCB in a three is more forgiving of this.

For what it's worth regarding Heneghan, I wasn't a massive fan the first time around and I thought we were laughing straight to the bank when someone paid £400,000 for him and we got Hartley. Fair enough, he seems a nice guy and an honest player but I always thought he lacked quality and was a bit deficient in most areas. Robinson said he wants cover at right back too and I don't fancy him playing there. On that note, one of his justifications for signing Grimshaw when we were already centre-mid inflated was that he could cover for Tait. He hasn't covered there once and now we're looking for more cover.

I thought Heneghan looked dead solid in the early games this season.

In beside Hartley and Kipre I think he'd do absolutely fine.

I agree with this. In my opinion his career with us could be described in 3 parts - decent / sh1t / decent. No doubt his performances end of last season have stuck in the mind for some, but I felt he performed well in various stages in his career with us inc before he was sold to Sheffield Utd this season.

He knows the club and will or ought to take less time to settle.

Plus there should be a wee bit of goodwill given he earned us £400k into the bargain if we manage to secure him for the 2nd half of this season. Not sure it will happen mind.

• Like 1

A left back has so to be the priority now. If we bring in Heneghan but no left back it means we'll be playing with Tait, Cadden and Frear as wingbacks which is brutal.

Agreed. Someone that is a left back by trade too. Had enough of these players (Chalmers, Jules and Dunne) that can reportedly cover centre half and left back.

Think Robinson is content with having Dunne, Plummer, Frear, Tait and Livingstone as his Left Back options, also got Armstrong in the academy too if were that desperate I suppose. As for Right Back Cover I thought wed be alright with Tait, Cadden, Grimshaw, Watt and McMillan all able to play there.

Thats a fair point, so take Cadden out of the options for right back and Ill suggest another. Mind when Andy Rose first came to the club wed been told hed played multiple games, successfully, as a Right Wing Back. Not saying Id have him there, but if hes got experience in that role and we needed another option there, then it frees up a space for one of our other midfielders to come in as well

• Andy_P locked this topic