The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Those saying that £500k would be a good return if we could get a replacement in. Problem is that chances are there will be no potential replacements out there that clubs would be happy to let go that would be worth having.

Having said that, if Carson wants to go then the deal will happen. And why wouldn't he want to go? Massive wage rise, De Vries out of contract in the summer I believe, and Gordon at an age when he'll start to miss a few games? Goalkeeper is one position where a player probably realises that there's only one spot so being a sub is an occupational hazard.

Losing Moult and Carson in the same window will be a real sore boot in the balls...

Having said that, if Carson wants to go then the deal will happen.

Given that Carson has 2 1/2 years left on his contract I'd hope that we have some say in the matter. The bottom line is that he's contracted to us. Our support will be up in arms if our player and Celtic agree the deal and agree what fee has to be paid to us.

Whilst our Directors have a duty of care to their employees, including players, their first priority should be the club.

He will be difficult to replace at this stage in the window. If Celtic aren't prepared to offer a ridiculous fee then our club should say he goes nowhere.

The key is the time left on his contract, that leaves Motherwell in the driving seat with this one. Im sure Carson would love to go but its not going to happen if we dont receive a big offer and Celtic wont splash big money for a 29 year old.

I really can't see Robinson sanctioning that move and unless it's silly money the board, I don't think, would take that decision without him.

I'd be more worried if it was McGhee, or even McCall, but I can see Robinson just saying to Carson 'You're going nowhere, Trev. I'll get you in the N Ireland team here and you will be first choice for the next 2 years. Go to Celtic and you will probably be sitting on the bench next season'

Given that Carson has 2 1/2 years left on his contract I'd hope that we have some say in the matter. The bottom line is that he's contracted to us. Our support will be up in arms if our player and Celtic agree the deal and agree what fee has to be paid to us.

Whilst our Directors have a duty of care to their employees, including players, their first priority should be the club.

He will be difficult to replace at this stage in the window. If Celtic aren't prepared to offer a ridiculous fee then our club should say he goes nowhere.

This is all true but we all know that if a player wants to leave, then there are many ways to engineer a move. Is Carson the type of player to threaten to down tools? I don't know. But this is not Hearts or Aberdeen where there would be a decent wage increase and not much else to tempt a player. This is Celtic, a sizeable wage increase and if Carson believes in his ability to displace De Vries, an opportunity to play in the Europa League this season and win a league medal.

The lateness in the window counts in our favour as it doesn't give Carson that much time to agitate for a move if he wanted to. His background might mean he's not welcomed by some of their support and that might put him off.

I honestly couldn't say how this will pan out...

Celtic are entitled to offer what they like, but theyv'e just paid £1m to loan a Chelsea reserve and are apparently looking for £30m for Dembele, who has been out of favour.

Supply and demand.

We'll have our price, but he's a key asset and in this case its a seller's market for us for once. Particularly given we've already generated a fair bit of transfer revenue recently.

I'd imagine they'd have to offer at least 3x to get near an agreement.

Losing Carson at this stage of the window would be nothing short of disastrous. We've virtually played without a goalkeeper for the past 4 seasons since Randolph left, and having the assurance of having a cracking keeper has been a big part of our successes this season. I'm honestly dreading losing him, more than I ever did with Louis Moult.

Celtic and Rodgers are clearly a shower of cunts...they know fine well that at this stage of the window, and with our guy being signed for a further 2.5years, we're never going to accept a bid of £200k. All they are doing is agitating and seeing how far they can push us, they'll be back with an increased bid of maybe £300k before midnight tomorrow, knowing fine well that they'll have unsettled our player, and are trying to back us into a corner.

Motherwell though are in a great position to just say 'no thanks' from now until the window closes. I can understand that Carsons head will be turned (despite his own obvious beliefs) with the extra money, European football and medals at stake this season with the tinks, but we just need to knock things back for the next 48hours and tell Carson to deal with it, with the promise that we'll allow him to leave in the Summer if the offering club come up with a decent package

State of the negotiations is:-

• We don't want to sell Carson
  • Financially we don't need to sell
  • Celtic have two days (and ticking) to sign a decent keeper
  • WE THEREFORE HOLD ALL THE CARDS
  • There is no need to act like Big Treeza on Brexit and roll over

Suggested negotiating strategy:-

• Continue to talk to them without commiting to a price (suck them into talking to us at the exclusion of others)
  • Indicate that there are other interested parties from the English Premiership (does not matter if this is true)
  • Do not close the door on negotiations until 23:00 on 31st Jan ( the closer to the deadline the more desperate Celtic become and the higher the price)
  • Make the decision @ 23:00 on 31st on a price which must be in excess of the replacement keeper plus the rewards of 3 league positions (which if Carson stayed he would propably guarantee)

Outcomes

• Don't get the price we want
    • Carson stays Well fans happy
    • Carson a bit miffed but he is contracted for 2.5 years and will get over it
    • Celtic stuffed
  • Get daft price for Carson
    • Fans will reluctantly accept
    • But must have a decent level replacement lined up
  • Like 1

Would Celtic have bid without getting the nod from Carson's agent? I read an interview with him a while ago where he mentioned almost chucking football at one point because it wasn't working financially. It would be difficult for him to knock back Celtic after a career in the lower leagues.

For the simple fact their first offer was £200k, I would blatantly refuse to take any more of their calls. Such a low ball opening bid deserves nothing but utter contempt, negotiations over.

Price to them is now by default 20-30% more than he is worth. Accept a bid from another club of £800k for him in the summer, it's £1m for Celtic. Simple.

Yet another reason to hate that mob.

• Like 1

If Celtic are the ones that need this move more than us, they should rightly pay above the odds. With the cash they've just bagged for Van Dyke, plus their willingness to splash out on Chelsea reserve players, we know they have money to burn. The ball is in their court.

Would Celtic have bid without getting the nod from Carson's agent? I read an interview with him a while ago where he mentioned almost chucking football at one point because it wasn't working financially. It would be difficult for him to knock back Celtic after a career in the lower leagues.

I don't doubt his agent is involved; possibly by leaking the story, but its not just down to the player to knock back the move as I said earlier. As his employer we also have a say.

• Andy_P locked this topic