The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

£375k is the rumoured new offer that should see him off to Celtic Park.

That would be a bit disappointing given the valuations were apparently "miles apart" but not surprising if Carson wants to go.

Hearing talk of a left back coming in this afternoon. Not been given a name though...

One journo on twitter was suggesting their opening bid was £250k (I know it was reported as £200k elsewhere) and we were after three times that. I was even disappointed by that figure. If their opening suggestion was 200-250k, ours should have at least seven figures.

• Like 1

Would be a real fuck you to the fans if this happened.

Even if Celtic come in with an improved bid it shouldn't even be considered.

Everyone accepts that we have to sell players in the new model but we've done that, sold Hennigan, sold Moult, got money off the Johnson deal, got to a final, are we really going to ignore any attempt at team building for a few hundred thousand pounds?

We are already pretty poor fair, selling one of our better players, at this stage of the season, for this kind of money, just says to me Motherwell FC is not about the fans coming to support a team any more, it's all about feeding a financial machine.

I've already gone into detail about the way our obsession with 'selling players on', has become a major long term detriment to the club, this is that writ large.

• Like 3

While I'm generally in favour of the Board handling the transfer decisions, given our financial standing and the deals already executed this season, this is the kind of decision that should require backing by the Well Society membership. Given the time constraints involved, in reality, that means "no deal".

This is all true but we all know that if a player wants to leave, then there are many ways to engineer a move. Is Carson the type of player to threaten to down tools? I don't know. But this is not Hearts or Aberdeen where there would be a decent wage increase and not much else to tempt a player. This is Celtic, a sizeable wage increase and if Carson believes in his ability to displace De Vries, an opportunity to play in the Europa League this season and win a league medal.

The lateness in the window counts in our favour as it doesn't give Carson that much time to agitate for a move if he wanted to. His background might mean he's not welcomed by some of their support and that might put him off.

I honestly couldn't say how this will pan out...

I think carson is a straight forward guy. Robbo said at agm he doesnt have an agent and handled transfer deal to us himself. He will deal with all this properly no matter the outcome

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Would Celtic have bid without getting the nod from Carson's agent? I read an interview with him a while ago where he mentioned almost chucking football at one point because it wasn't working financially. It would be difficult for him to knock back Celtic after a career in the lower leagues.

He doesnt have an agent (or didnt when he joined us)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

If we accept anything less than £750k from Celtic I will be wanting questions answered, as we will be bending over for that manky mob. I have no doubts that come summer - or indeed the following summer - we could get around £500k minimum for him.

£200k is an absolutely insult. Coming back with £375k is even worse. Every derisory offer should add 10% to the price:

£200k - we want £750k. Ok, £375k. Nope, it's now £850k. Try again.

• Like 1

This is why I don't invest in the team anymore no matter how much of my hard earned goes in we will always be slaves to the money men especially when it comes to shit bids for decent players. I hear all the noises about us not being taken for a ride anymore but money always talks. Doesnt matter what the fans or the manager think or want. However if the money men can make a quick buck in profit that will always come first over getting a settled team or putting some wins together. I feel we could make more money from getting higher up the league and our decent players getting a higher profile from it than selling then for a quick profit. Not for one minute am I not being realistic we are a selling team but we have sold our allocation this year and we need time for the team to settle and find its feet and some consistency or we will just end up like Dundee Utd

• Like 1

While I'm generally in favour of the Board handling the transfer decisions, given our financial standing and the deals already executed this season, this is the kind of decision that should require backing by the Well Society membership. Given the time constraints involved, in reality, that means "no deal".

How would that work in practice?

I doubt many Well Society members would have the knowledge to understand the true implications of any kind of financial income and I doubt many would vote based on anything other than wanting the best players on the pitch at all times, which we know isn't necessarily in the best interests of the club.

To be fair - I do see Robinson trying to force Celtic to get to their price without the fucking about with his line "Player's valuations go up and down depending on what point in the window you're at because the closer you are to the end then the timescale to replace them becomes very difficult."

I've already gone into detail about the way our obsession with 'selling players on', has become a major long term detriment to the club, this is that writ large.

I generally agree with that point but this feels a bit different.

I'd have kept Moult as he'd get his big contract at the end of the season and we could do with his goals but with Carson it's either move to Celtic in the next 24 hours or see out his career with us. Obviously that's not necessarily a bad thing but the guy is 29 and hasn't made any money out of the game, moving will change the rest of his life.

How would that work in practice?

I doubt many Well Society members would have the knowledge to understand the true implications of any kind of financial income and I doubt many would vote based on anything other than wanting the best players on the pitch at all times, which we know isn't necessarily in the best interests of the club.

To be fair - I do see Robinson trying to force Celtic to get to their price without the fucking about with his line "Player's valuations go up and down depending on what point in the window you're at because the closer you are to the end then the timescale to replace them becomes very difficult."

How it would work in practice is a great question, and one I don't have the answer to right now.

As I recall, though, it was one of the commitments that was made by the Society that "unusual" transfer decisions would require agreement from members (while "normal" business was left up to the Board).

Personally I think Rangers are missing a trick here. With 11 points between the teams and Celitic being significantly weakened, could they or Aberdeen possibly win the title stopping Celtics 10 in a row ambition?

They could put in a bid of £600k and loan him back until the summer

Personally I think Rangers are missing a trick here. With 11 points between the teams and Celitic being significantly weakened, could they or Aberdeen possibly win the title stopping Celtics 10 in a row ambition?

They could put in a bid of £600k and loan him back until the summer

Rangers dont have £10k never mind £600k

I dont have a problem with selling players, its the timing here and the effect it could have on our season. We would be letting another club take our best player with less than a day to replace him, when we arent clear of relegation (yet have a legitimate shout of a top six place). At the same time were asking people to join the well society, buy shares, and pay over 20 quid per game while accepting that were only here to give Celtic someone to beat.

If they want to know how to completely deflate a support, this would be it.

If they want to know how to completely deflate a support, this would be it.

Unless they have a stellar replacement to bring in, of course.

Although as Robinson pointed out, playing matches on tomorrow evening makes dealing even more difficult.

Don't even know why we have guys on here saying £325k and he'll be away. I know the player would want a big pay day, but we have the trump cards in this situation. The player has 2 1/2 years of a contract to run. We don't need to sell at this point. There's only 24 hours left in the transfer window. So tell Celtic it's £1m and if they don't want to pay that. Fuck off! I would be extremely disappointed in Alan Burrows and the board if they were contemplating letting him go for anything less, and I would seriously consider getting rid of my shares and my Well Society membership.

To be fair I think in the last few months the club has actually done well in the deals they have done. Players are always going to leave and balancing out the amount received for Hennegan and Moult and what weve paid for those coming in they deserve credit.

OK, so lets look at things rationally here.

If he's the best keeper in the league, then his value outweighs that of Gordon, how much would we seem him go for if fit and sold tomorrow?

10k to 350k in 6 months is bitcoin-esque gains and ordinarily would be a fantastic return, but he has 2.5 years left on his contract. Ambition is one thing but he is cover and would he be relegated to cover in 6 months time. How does he hope to get into the NI squad if a bench warmer?

We're facing heading to the market to find a first team keeper on deadline day, when Robinson has shared in the past in light of our sales and cup run this year, agents have upped their bottom line and got greedy as they see us as being flush.

How happy would be to get an average replacement and pay over the odds for him?

Everything about this has "no no no" stamped all over it.

but with Carson it's either move to Celtic in the next 24 hours or see out his career with us. Obviously that's not necessarily a bad thing but the guy is 29 and hasn't made any money out of the game, moving will change the rest of his life.

Eh? So if he doesnt move now we wont get another decent bid in the next 2 and a half years?

He keeps on with his form this season and he will find himself in the Championship in the summer on a far higher salary than Celtic will offer him, and probably as a number 1. I can see him being in Norn Irn's next squad and probably getting capoed in the near future.

• Andy_P locked this topic