The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

2 hours ago, Joeboy said:

He has scored against 7/9 Championship opponents as well as against Aberdeen in the cup.  I think you are bending the statistics for your usual negative stance.

Dumbarton and Brechin are part time so they shouldn't be considered on a level with the other 7. I'm just saying the 22 goals thing is misleading as some of them are against Hearts u20s  as well as Airdrie ,Stranraer and Raith. He's only scored three goals since Christmas, I don't think it's wrong to wonder if he'll manage the step up again.

We have wasted so much money on strikers who have not produced in recent years. Fletcher, Blyth, Bowman, Fisher, Belic, Clarkson, McFadden, Newell, Petravicuis and Ciftci. It's the most important position in the team and we should learn our lesson and go for quality and not quantity.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We have wasted so much money on strikers who have not produced in recent years. Fletcher, Blyth, Bowman, Fisher, Belic, Clarkson, McFadden, Newell, Petravicuis and Ciftci. It's the most important position in the team and we should learn our lesson and go for quality and not quantity.

It's a fair point (with the exception of Newall, who I still hold out hope for), however it's a position that's probably the hardest to get right. Wonder how we compare to other clubs in terms of signing 'duds' in that position? 

Many of you are being unfair to Ryan Bowman, OK he has a striker title but his workload no doubt created more than a few windows for the true star in our team to slot a number away.

For as many of you who harp on about player loyalty and questioning if it's cool to boo Jamie Murphy this weekend, many need to look back at your posts in late October and early November.

The same goes for Andy Rose, many too keen to stick the boot in unfairly

• Like 2

On 27/03/2018 at 9:45 AM, Well-Made said:

The Herald is listing all the Premiership players out of contract at the end of the season.

Free at the end of the season

Ours are:

• Andy Rose - Have a feeling he'll be here next season
  • Liam Grimshaw - Probably gone
    • Ryan Bowman - Would like to see him here next season
    • Deimantas Petravicius - Gone?
    • Charles Dunne - Would think he is here, was there not mention of an extension on games played?
    • Russell Griffiths - I would think he's away
    • Ellis Plummer - Ditto, too injury prone 
    • Shea Gordon - No idea, seemed to be around the first team then disappeared, has this been due to injuries?  
    • George Newell - Jury out? Robinson seems happy to have him on the bench when fit.
    • Luke Watt - No idea.
    • Loan deals ending:
    • Stephen Hendrie (Southend), I imagine will be returned,
    • Nadir Ciftci (Celtic) Same as Hendrie, unless released on a free and willing to take a wage cut,
    • Tom Aldred (Bury) would love to see if we could do something to keep him.

They miss McHugh off list of out of contract at end of season ?? 

Haven't seen this posted...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cedric-kipre-talks-new-motherwell-12293418

Cedric Kipre talks new Motherwell deal with defender set to put pen to paper for third time in nine months

The 21-year-old stopper has been a hit with the Fir Park faithful and insists he's in the perfect place to continue his development.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 18SHARES

• 04:30, 3 APR 2018
JS147837562.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 18SHARES

Get Sport updates directly to your inbox
+ Subscribe

Cedric Kipre is ready to sign on the dotted line at Motherwell for a third time in nine months.

And the defender wants to celebrate by snapping up silverware with the Steelmen.

The 21-year-old penned a one-year deal when he arrived from Leicester last July but added an extra 12 months just six weeks later and is now set to land an even longer-term contract.

ADVERTISING

The former PSG youth – who last month earned his first call-up to the Ivory Coast senior squad – admitted he’s at the perfect club to continue his development and he has set his sights on dumping Aberdeen in next week’s Scottish Cup semi at Hampden.

JS128817030.jpg
Cedric Kipre (Image: SNS)

JS142586090.jpg
READ MORE

The centre-back suffered heartache in the Betfred Cup Final against Celtic but is determined to go all the way this time.

Kipre will face the Dons on league duty tonight and said: “We are still negotiating so we will see what happens.

“Hopefully in the next few days it will be signed because I am happy to stay. I am feeling good.

“I am still young and have a lot to learn. I still make mistakes so have to keep progressing. We’ll see where it takes me one day.

“There is lot to achieve here. We have the opportunity to get to another final and hopefully this time we can go on and win it.”

Kipre admitted the last month has been a rollercoaster with his controversial red card in the draw with Celtic, his international call-up and then the dramatic 2-2 draw with Rangers at the weekend.

The youngster’s feet have barely hit the floor but while Well boss Stephen Robinson reckons it’s only a matter of time before the centre-half makes a move to the English top flight, Kipre revealed he’s happy to stay in Scotland for the foreseeable future.

JS147837591.jpg
READ MORE

He said: “It has been a crazy few weeks. Obviously the red card wasn’t good but the decision was changed and it was great to be involved in the international team.

“I have had a decent season and the call-up was a nice reward.

“It showed I made a good decision coming here. I wanted to play men’s football, play regularly and I have managed to do that here. It’s nice to hear the manager say I will be playing in the English Premier League soon but I know I still have a lot to learn.”

Kipre’s sending off against Celtic was overturned after an appeal and he insisted the clash with Scott Brown didn’t merit a red.

The Hoops skipper has been involved in running battles with several rivals in recent weeks with red cards shown to Aberdeen’s Sam Cosgrove and Ross County’s Andrew Davies either side of the Motherwell man’s ordering off.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers accused rivals of putting a bullseye on his captain’s back – but Kipre insisted his flashpoint was nothing personal.

JS146690280.jpg
Kipre clashed with Scott Brown at Fir Park

He said: “He’s not a target. He is a player like everyone else. It didn’t matter if it’s Hearts or Hibs or anyone, it’s the same thing.”

Meanwhile, Well boss Robinson is adamant tonight’s Dons clash won’t be a dress rehearsal for Hampden on April 14.

He said: “It’ll be treated as a separate entity. Aberdeen have had a super season and are going for second spot so I don’t think anyone will be saving anything or trying to keep secrets ahead of the semi-final.

“Both teams want to win and it will be a competitive fixture. I’ll be setting up to win the game.”

• Like 2

• Andy Rose - I reckon he'll end up back in the states.
  • Liam Grimshaw - Get rid. Unless he's willing to stick around as a social media hype man.
  • Ryan Bowman - Get rid. Apart from that wee purple patch alongside Moult around the QF of the league cup, he's humpty.
  • Deimantas Petravicius - I reckon he won a competition to get a contract with us. Get rid.
  • Charles Dunne - Keep him. He's improved massively since we've settled in to a back 3.
  • Russell Griffiths - Would imagine he'll be gone.
  • Ellis Plummer - Forgot he was here tbh.
  • Shea Gordon - I mind him getting some games last year but he's kind of vanished since.   
  • George Newell - Robinson seems to like him. Maybe he'll be better if he does a proper pre-season as he looks like he's blowing out his arse after 10 minutes.
  • Luke Watt - Get rid. He was promising 3 years ago, and hasn't done much since.
  • Loan deals ending:
  • Stephen Hendrie (Southend). - Jersey filler. He'll be gone.
  • Nadir Ciftci (Celtic) I would keep him, but he'd need to agree to a substantial wage cut and we would need to negotiate a fee/release from Celtic.
  • Tom Aldred (Bury) I would love to keep him here. He's been outstanding.

The rebuild by Robinson surely has to be considered a success - to this point. 

Done a fantastic job of clearing the decks last summer and built a substantially more robust, physical, and competitive side than the lightweights he inherited from McGhee. 

Some signings haven't worked out, but with the number that came in, that  was always going to be the case. 

Grimshaw has had little impact, Plummer is obviously made of glass, and although I don't think we'll be paying him particularly much, Petravicius is absolute humpty. 

As far as Bigi is concerned, his relative failure has been the biggest surprise and disappointment.

Came with decent pedigree and was considered a coup for the club. Personally feel the style and formation favoured by Robinson has been detrimental to his chances. There's definitely a player in there, but our way of playing this year has meant strength over skill in the middle. 

Although not on the scale of last summer, there will be a number of comings and goings at the end of the season, and hopefully with a solid base from this current group and a few more creative additions, Bigi could remain and be a greater influence on a side that's more easy on the eye next time out. 

The football on the whole  hasn't been pretty, and there have been a few eye-bleedingly bad performances, but at the end of the day we've had some memorable cup moments,( with more to hopefully come ), and amassed enough points to surely have us safe, so it's pretty much mission accomplished. 

As I say, I definitely feel there is nothing that can suggest the rebuild is anything other than  a success til now, and the management will be well aware of which areas need addressed to progress further next season. (Which I'm sure they will immediately crack on with after the open top bus parade with the Scottish Cup on Sun 20th May.!!). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfcdez said:

The rebuild by Robinson surely has to be considered a success - to this point. 

Done a fantastic job of clearing the decks last summer and built a substantially more robust, physical, and competitive side than the lightweights he inherited from McGhee. 

Some signings haven't worked out, but with the number that came in, that  was always going to be the case. 

Grimshaw has had little impact, Plummer is obviously made of glass, and although I don't think we'll be paying him particularly much, Petravicius is absolute humpty. 

As far as Bigi is concerned, his relative failure has been the biggest surprise and disappointment.

Came with decent pedigree and was considered a coup for the club. Personally feel the style and formation favoured by Robinson has been detrimental to his chances. There's definitely a player in there, but our way of playing this year has meant strength over skill in the middle. 

Although not on the scale of last summer, there will be a number of comings and goings at the end of the season, and hopefully with a solid base from this current group and a few more creative additions, Bigi could remain and be a greater influence on a side that's more easy on the eye next time out. 

The football on the whole  hasn't been pretty, and there have been a few eye-bleedingly bad performances, but at the end of the day we've had some memorable cup moments,( with more to hopefully come ), and amassed enough points to surely have us safe, so it's pretty much mission accomplished. 

As I say, I definitely feel there is nothing that can suggest the rebuild is anything other than  a success til now, and the management will be well aware of which areas need addressed to progress further next season. (Which I'm sure they will immediately crack on with after the open top bus parade with the Scottish Cup on Sun 20th May.!!). 

All of this. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

Was it 17 new faces in the summer?  Two of them started yesterday.

Ignoring the fact that two January signings started and two summer signings came off the bench? 

As others have stated five of the summer signings out injured. Also two of the signings were goalkeepers so only one of them can play. People seem obsessed at the moment with numbers, percentages and statistics and what they can show...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, steelboy said:

What happened to Petraviscius last night?

Has Robinson actually realised he is a complete dud?

Robinson's done reasonably well bringing in players with points to prove.  Petraviscius fits that mould but he has obviously proved nothing. I think he was more of one for the U20, but seems to have done nothing there either. 

15 hours ago, ropy said:

Was it 17 new faces in the summer?  Two of them started yesterday.

Christ what is it with the level of negativity on here, at times it seems like posters are looking for something to complain about.

• Like 2

This close season will be involve less time scouring the classifieds but we now have a decent team that now only need complimenting here and there. I do think 2 of the starting 11 below will be poached in the summer but is our best case scenario. I'd like to see if Kipre can play right back and Dunne move out to wide left. Kipre's mazy runs and speed and Dunne's speed offer a lot in those positions.

Cadden has stalled this year and could benefit from trying to adapt his game to take advantage of our tactics. I'd drop McHugh to the bench to bring someone else in to see if they can do his role any better. It may turn out he is better than many give him credit for.

Of course if Kipre goes or Aldred can't be secured then it opens up a host of alternatives. But I believe we have something below that can go on and do damage in this league.

------------------ Carson ------------------

- Kipre -- Hartley -- Aldred -- Dunne -

-- Tait - Cadden - Campbell - XXXX --

------------ Main --- XXXX --------------

Bench:

Keeper

Bowman (he's earned it)

McHugh

Rose

Frear

Tanner

33 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

This close season will be involve less time scouring the classifieds but we now have a decent team that now only need complimenting here and there. I do think 2 of the starting 11 below will be poached in the summer but is our best case scenario. I'd like to see if Kipre can play right back and Dunne move out to wide left. Kipre's mazy runs and speed and Dunne's speed offer a lot in those positions.

Cadden has stalled this year and could benefit from trying to adapt his game to take advantage of our tactics. I'd drop McHugh to the bench to bring someone else in to see if they can do his role any better. It may turn out he is better than many give him credit for.

Of course if Kipre goes or Aldred can't be secured then it opens up a host of alternatives. But I believe we have something below that can go on and do damage in this league.

Bench:

Keeper

Bowman (he's earned it)

McHugh

Rose

Frear

Tanner

Hope the experiment above remains here alone! 

On a separate note, I noticed St Johnstone talking about appointing a head of recruitment down south; maybe they like what we've been doing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fergi4 said:

On a separate note, I noticed St Johnstone talking about appointing a head of recruitment down south; maybe they like what we've been doing. 

They like the money we've generated. Saints have recruited very well in recent years but, May apart, haven't brought in much transfer cash.

20 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Main, Cadden and Kipre are all sold. 

Add Carson to that list. Could potentially be another high turnover summer - at least it would be for the right reasons this season. 

8 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Bench:

Keeper

Bowman (he's earned it)

McHugh

Rose

Frear

Tanner

Dear God...:lol: