The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Wee yin have you ever been to Fir Park ?

He’s not been up to the standard of last season for sure, maybe the injury at the start of the season has played a part in that. Last season he had some very good performances and a good number of assists.

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

More suited to FGR so why don't you take him back down and take in a game while your there ,the guy is pure pish 

Weeyin and Joeboy seem to have some knowledge of football whereas your relentless negativity suggests you're just here to troll the team.

Dunne is excellent defensively but his service to Frear (when he has been fit and selected) is not great. The latter needs balls to run on to, not passes when he is almost stationary and has two hulking defenders in front of him, squeezing him out to the line, but Charles can't pass like Stevie Hammell, who latterly was weaker defensively.

Calling a player feart in these circumstances is just a cheap shot.

Weeyin's point: "Encourages players to pass to him rather than punt it long to Main" is a very important reason for playing him. We are one-dimensional without him, given Bigi seems out of favour with the boss.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Weeyin's point: "Encourages players to pass to him rather than punt it long to Main" is a very important reason for playing him. We are one-dimensional without him, given Bigi seems out of favour with the boss.

Encourages players to pass it to him I must have missed that ,has no idea how to play the position he is asked to play and maybe that is the problem he is an out and out winger nowt else can't tackle or read the game be better off back at FGR 

9 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Encourages players to pass it to him I must have missed that ,has no idea how to play the position he is asked to play and maybe that is the problem he is an out and out winger nowt else can't tackle or read the game be better off back at FGR 

Well,  if not being able to tackle is a weakness in that position then clearly Andy Weir, Davie Cooper and a host of other 'Well wingers I've seen would be duds in your book. If he's an out and out winger as you say then he is obviously the most dependent on good service and I  hope you would agree that he often simply doesn't get it.

Tanner is out for the medium term, Bigi does not seem to be trusted by SR and linking play up the left isn't great from defence so I think we should cut Frear some slack. 

Hoofball is a limited tactic.

• Like 1

Well,  if not being able to tackle is a weakness in that position then clearly Andy Weir, Davie Cooper and a host of other 'Well wingers I've seen would be duds in your book. If he's an out and out winger as you say then he is obviously the most dependent on good service and I  hope you would agree that he often simply doesn't get it.
Tanner is out for the medium term, Bigi does not seem to be trusted by SR and linking play up the left isn't great from defence so I think we should cut Frear some slack. 
Hoofball is a limited tactic.

react_like.png
Well said that man.....stand by tbough for the standard rather rude Yodo response when even he realises his argument has been trumped

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Andy Weir & David Cooper were never asked to play wing back and in Andy s day wing backs were never heard of and to compare Frear to the legend that is David Cooper  I can't believe that . If you think Frear adds something to the team so be it but not a lot of us can see it 

28 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Andy Weir & David Cooper were never asked to play wing back and in Andy s day wing backs were never heard of and to compare Frear to the legend that is David Cooper  I can't believe that . If you think Frear adds something to the team so be it but not a lot of us can see it 

Right on time, Clackscat, eh? 

Yodo: read what I actually said, not what you wanted me to say. Who's "us", by the way?

And if Weir and Cooper had been asked, from your time machine, to do this, could they have done it? Who would have been daft enough to ask such a role of two  hugely-talented Scottish internationalists?

Frear is a moderately-gifted winger you seem to have a problem with, for some reason. Along with Tanner and Bigi he is the only creative outlet for the team at the moment. Tanner is injured and Bigi is not a first pick.

Frear, when fit, is first-pick for most games, as tactics require.

Take your complaint up with the manager. I agree with him on this point. Given our limited budget and squad at the moment, he is a valuable tactical alternative.

Interesting...I am in two minds over this if it materialises. 
On the one hand I like the guy. Never gives less than his full effort, but no goals in his last 11 appearances (albeit not all from the start) is a bit of a luxury we can hardly afford. If you are a striker you are judged on goals and his conversion rate is not nearly good enough. 
Wasn't Dougie Arnott something like 60 in 250 or so? Sometimes a striker brings other intangibles that can't be measured

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

Wasn't Dougie Arnott something like 60 in 250 or so? Sometimes a striker brings other intangibles that can't be measured

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ah my all time fav Well player. Wee Dougie was my hero. Pain in the arse to play against for defenders and had a great record v Celtic. Like a miniature Curtis Main :-)

But if my arithmetic is correct that is almost a 1 goal in 4 games ratio. Had Bowman that kin of goalscoring ratio I would never have made my initial post / observation that his is in fact quite poor. 

11 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Frear creates more chances (key passes) per 90 minutes than any other Motherwell player.  

I can only think of two assists from open play in his entire time here. Moult at NDP and Bowman at Dingwall.

Add in that he has only scored two goals and it's not much of a return from a wee winger who cannot defend.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I can only think of two assists from open play in his entire time here. Moult at NDP and Bowman at Dingwall.

Add in that he has only scored two goals and it's not much of a return from a wee winger who cannot defend.

Not that it makes a huge difference but he's on 3 goals for this season already, and got one in his half season last year too.

I like Frear in general. He has his faults, as do everyone in the team, but the current system idoes no get the best out of him. Much like a few of our players.

Three?

He was diabolical against Edinburgh and Berwick until a 38 hour work week caught up with their players. Two goals against professional opponents in 14 months, one a roll into an empty net the other a neat wee finish off a cross. He has absolutely no shooting threat.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Assists? :lol: A horrible stat and depends on so much more than the player providing it.  If a player crosses a ball in for example and the striker misses a sitter why would you hold that against the pass provider...  

Although not terribly well articulated, I have sympathy for the argument that as a good old fashioned winger, Elliott Frear doesn’t really fit with the managers current chosen shape/formation.

However, he does have ability and is the type of player that would do better in a 442.

I would also argue that 442 is not archaic as suggested. Certain versions of it are far less versatile than others but in recent weeks alone I have witnessed the good old 442 narrow diamond work a treat. The trick is having the players to match a formation and vice versa

Was told today by a mate who's a sponsor at St Midden that we've signed Gavin Reilly on a pre contract. Might be bollocks but I think he's scored a few this season.

2 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Was told today by a mate who's a sponsor at St Midden that we've signed Gavin Reilly on a pre contract. Might be bollocks but I think he's scored a few this season.

That rumour was bouncing around on P&B a couple of weeks ago.

From memory, he never quite cut it at Hearts. Would be worried if we are going into next season with him as our top man up top.

13 hours ago, Mitch said:

That rumour was bouncing around on P&B a couple of weeks ago.

From memory, he never quite cut it at Hearts. Would be worried if we are going into next season with him as our top man up top.

I would guess that he's probably just a rotation player and we'll be looking to jettison Bowman, Demi and obviously nobody knows what's happening with Ciftci.

We'll need to upgrade our strikeforce for next season as its a critical area.  I'd like to see Main being given an extension to his current 12 month deal.  However I see him as being a more effective version of Bowman, who is a honest trier and worker but not much more (you can't criticise him for that).  As far as Ciftci is concerned he has shown some talent whilst with us but more in a supporting role.  However he hasn't done enough, for me, to warrant any attempt to retain his services - it may not be possible anyway.  Surely he's running out of chances with various clubs?  George Newell looks promising, as a young player, but there must be questions about his injury record.  As far as our under 20s go I don't think that any are quite ready to step up but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be given some limited first team experience.   

18 hours ago, AllyMax said:

39 games this season and 22 goals in all comps seems a decent ratio to me for a player who has been playing in a highly competitive league this season. Was excellent with QoS but wasn’t given much chance at hearts- he scored against us !

• Andy_P locked this topic