The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I agree we need centre back as cover, but after a taste of first team action, why would Aldred want to play second fiddle again? 

I've been a fan of Dunne since day one, but not convinced he could provide the quality of crosses that Tait and Cadden are capable of (and where would Cadden be playing)?

Anyway, glad it's not my problem to solve. Delighted we signed him in January, and would be happy if he stayed on (as part of the Cup winning side of 2018).

Because up to two of those who signed extended deals may be off in the summer or January. As for Cadden as an out and out midfielder, you know like when we had his most success with us ......

6 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I love Charles Dunne but how closely are you watching him? He is a clear your lines style defender, not a wingback.

Close enough to recognise he's young and to pigeon hole him at this stage in his career is maybe unfair. Many a player have moved around a formation to great success and I'd like to see our coaching team at least dabble. If it doesn't work out then fair enough.

7 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I love Charles Dunne but how closely are you watching him? He is a clear your lines style defender, not a wingback.

IIRC in one of the videos that went up around the time he signed he straight up said he preferred playing centre half and that's how he saw himself. The gist seemed to be that he'd only been playing full back/wing back because that's where his managers had been picking him on account of his pace. It wasn't his preference.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

IIRC in one of the videos that went up around the time he signed he straight up said he preferred playing centre half and that's how he saw himself. The gist seemed to be that he'd only been playing full back/wing back because that's where his managers had been picking him on account of his pace. It wasn't his preference.

I remember this interview too, only thing is, I seem to remember him saying the opposite, haha! Something along those lines was said. Not sure what way it was now!

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I remember this interview too, only thing is, I seem to remember him saying the opposite, haha! Something along those lines was said. Not sure what way it was now!

:lol:

Found it: "To be honest I like centre back more than left back but throughout my whole career the majority of the time I've played left back which I enjoy as well but I like playing centre back more."

• Like 1

Great news about the contracts we have managed to tie up. Dunne has a few shaky moments in early parts of the season but he has been a revelation since. I think he is very suited to playing left of a back three, so would be happy to see him continue there.  Rose once again had a quietly effective game on Saturday, as he does so often and Grimshaw more than proved anyone who said he shouldn't have started (myself included) wrong. I have said often that Grimshaw was a bit of a pointless signing, as I believe he's an older, yet poorer version of Campbell, but if Rose does want to return to the US, having him as backup for another year may be quite a sensible idea. 

The only downside of Saturday for me was Ciftci. He came on and looked more tired than the rest of team who had played the previous 75/80 mins or whatever it was. His attempted Zidane turn when he lost the ball and allowed Aberdeen to then get up the park was embarassing, as was his dive and roll about. I'd imagine he'll easily "come to an agreement" with Celtic in the summer and be free to sign for whoever he likes, but I hope we don't make any effort to try and make that us. 

Main has been a revelation and naturally, there was discussion of "Moult or Main" at Saturday's game. For me, they are different players and in one of those hypothetical situations, I'd have loved to have seen how they combine. I think Main is a better version of Bowman, rather than the same type of player as Moult. Bowman has definitely merited his extra year with his work rate and attitude this season, but I'd like to think next season we'll see him as backup and one of our main aims of the summer will be to sign a striker to play alongside Main.

Taking this thread on a bit of a tangent, but amongst our group on Saturday we spent a bit of time talking about who we will lose in the summer and we came to the collective conclusion that for the first time in a long time we have a fair whack of sellable assets - Campbell, Cadden, Kipre, Main, Carson and even Tait will be of interest to a lot of clubs and will be interesting to see what bids, if any, come in for them. 

Personally, I will be amazed if we still have Carson next season and think we will see one more move on for a decent transfer fee. 

Taking this thread on a bit of a tangent, but amongst our group on Saturday we spent a bit of time talking about who we will lose in the summer and we came to the collective conclusion that for the first time in a long time we have a fair whack of sellable assets - Campbell, Cadden, Kipre, Main, Carson and even Tait will be of interest to a lot of clubs and will be interesting to see what bids, if any, come in for them. 

Personally, I will be amazed if we still have Carson next season and think we will see one more move on for a decent transfer fee. 
Agree re Carson, having rightly turned down one offer, if an anywhere decent offer comes in the club I am sure will let him move on otherwise we compromise our 'provide you with a platform, and will be fair' pitch to potential transfer targets.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

On 4/15/2018 at 1:07 PM, ONeils4oyarder said:

What level of UEFA coaching certificate do you hold?

None, but I spent a fucking fortune in the club shop.

On 4/15/2018 at 1:20 PM, steelboy said:

Cardiff clearly haven't learned their lesson after getting telt by Boyle.

I'd forgotten all about this fine escapade! Boyle and the boys going down to take money out the tills. 

1 hour ago, Yassin said:

Hopefully Hartlepool fold soon or something and we don't have to give them any money.

I'd prefer it if we got a couple of million for Carson and Hartlepool's cut kept them afloat. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joeboy said:

The only downside of Saturday for me was Ciftci. He came on and looked more tired than the rest of team who had played the previous 75/80 mins or whatever it was. His attempted Zidane turn when he lost the ball and allowed Aberdeen to then get up the park was embarassing, as was his dive and roll about. I'd imagine he'll easily "come to an agreement" with Celtic in the summer and be free to sign for whoever he likes, but I hope we don't make any effort to try and make that us. 

Yep. Sadly, from what I've seen I don't think we're the club to re-ignite his career. The guy is clearly skilful, but his decision making after skinning a few folk is terrible. Not sure if he's just too eager to impress and I'm sure Robinson and Lasley have been trying to coach him through this but there's only so many chances a player can get. 

• Andy_P locked this topic