The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Ciftci is a difficult one, the guy has talent but apart from Utd he has failed to show it on the park. Signing him would be a big risk and I doubt on his past experience, that we would find it difficult to sell him on  as other managers would look at what he done at Celtic and believe it too much of a risk 

So, with the league season complete, how does the squad look for next season?

Carson - bound to move on in the not too distant future. We need to plan for life without Trevor

Griffiths - nice that he got a clean sheet on what will likely be his last appearance. He will be remembered for being better than Samson, which isn’t saying much. Time for him to move on.

Ferguson - a decent young keeper who offers cover for the bench and perhaps will push for the starting spot once Trevor moves on.

Tait - signed up and deservedly so.

Kipre - we may get another year out of him, but surely bound for bigger and better things. As with Carson, we need to prepare for the time when he moves on.

Hartley - his return from injury next season will be like a new signing.

Dunne - recent performances have hopefully put the doubters to bed. Deserved the contract extension.

McHugh - never going to sign for Barca, but key to our improved defensive record, along with a competent goalie. Longer term, if we aim to play a more technical style, he may be the one to miss out, but his fight and leadership may be hard to replace.

Plummer - hasn’t had much of a chance, but on the rare occasion has failed to shine. Time for us to part company I think.

Cadden - has he gone back a bit this season? Possibly in need of a rest and hopefully come back stronger next year. Doubt we will get many offers for him in the close season.

Campbell - the find of the season. Hopefully only going to get better and make us a fair bit of cash when he moves on.

Bigi - the disappointment of the season?  Obviously talented but not really worked out for us or him. If he wants to go, and can find another club, I would not stand in his way.

Tanner - very unlucky with a nasty injury. If we can get him fit he will prove to be a genuine asset.

Frear - not without talent, but does he fit in to our system? Probably time to say no and let him move on.

Rose - another who can claim to have proved the doubters wrong. Well worth the offer of a new deal if he wants it.

Grimshaw - as with his first stint with the club, it has taken time for him to find his form and prove his worth, but now that he is fit, get him signed up for another year or two.

Bowman - cannot fault his effort and workrate. Deserved his new deal.

Main - has been great for us and it cannot have been easy to replace a legend. Hopefully he will sign an extension to his contract.

Newell - unlucky with injuries and looked half decent given his limited opportunities. Possibly worth a punt for another year.

Petra - sorry, had chances and not looked good enough. Time to say goodbye.

Of the guys on loan

Nadir - obviously talented, but would be a gamble, even if he were prepared to accept our terms, so I’d think he will be away.

Aldred - alreadya great piece of business and getting him on a permanent basis would be even better news. Might not be as straightforward as we would like as you would think that other clubs with more money will have taken notice of his performances.

Hendrie - not done nearly enough, so no thanks.

And young guys coming through

MacLean - has a year left on his contract and may benefit from a loan move and more first team experience. However, would that be us just subsidising a player who is not going to make it at our level? A tough decision to be made I think.

Turnbull - early days, but looks decent. Hopefully get more chances next year.

Maguire - again early days, but can only benefit from playing with more experienced players.

Hopefully a few more get the chance to move on up.

So not really looking to bad for next season. Would love Aldred to stay and for at least one of Rose and Grimshawto sign up for longer. The areas we need to address are more depth up front, some width,especially on the left, and a bit of X factor ability in midfield.

Here’s hoping that a cup win and the lure of European football make the recruiting process a little easier.

• Like 2

A summing up.  Early doors I'd like to see Grimshaw and Aldred sign permanent deals.   Some promising youngsters now coming through too but we need to add creativity to the midfield and some more striking options. 

The nice thing about this season's "rebuild" is that we're talking about enhancements rather than wholesale changes. Testament to the job Robinson did last summer.

This summer is an altogether different challenge, but not one to be underestimated. However we've got a really solid foundation on which to build.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

The nice thing about this season's "rebuild" is that we're talking about enhancements rather than wholesale changes. Testament to the job Robinson did last summer.

This summer is an altogether different challenge, but not one to be underestimated. However we've got a really solid foundation on which to build.

Absolutely. I  admit I haven't been to any of the games this season but the fact that we are in 2 cup competitions and safe from relegation after the team being gutted out is nothing but a great achievement.  Plus we have sell able assets. 

5 hours ago, fat_tony said:

Very solid foundation, we are maybe going to lose Carson and one other but not huge changes needed. I would like to see Aldred signed up but then maybe four or five strong additions depending on how many we let go. 

33 minutes ago, Dezz said:

Twenty less goals conceded this year compared to last year. That’s some improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heneghan and big money for Kipre was some good transfer business.

Heneghan and big money for Kipre was some good transfer business.

Unreal business. £400k for a defender who can’t defend and Kipre on a free who might make us 7 figures can’t be sniffed at.

1 minute ago, Dezz said:

Unreal business. £400k for a defender who can’t defend and Kipre on a free who might make us 7 figures can’t be sniffed at.

See he has just been released by Sheffield without making a league appearance.

53 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

See he has just been released by Sheffield without making a league appearance.

Not strictly true, he has been made available for a loan move by sufc, not released but it may not be long before that happens.

This is the first season that I can recall for many many years that we have had a solid reliable and dependable team that has worked hard, been energetic and well organised.  These qualities are reflected in our record number of clean sheets.  Next season we should be even more so as the players now know each other better and aware of each others' strengths and weaknesses.  I suspect we may lose one or two though like Cedric.  This is a great platform on which to build.  We've also got a batch of talented youngsters breaking through.  So, as others have said, its maybe a case of more fine tuning now.  

What we do need to do though is to bring a bot more creativity and perhaps pace to the team.  We're a bit light up front.  As things stand we may ned to strengthen central defence (if Cedric goes and Aldred doesn't stay on) get some cover for left wing back and maybe bring in a couple of strikers.    So we're maybe looking at 4 players, more if others like Rose and Ciftci move on.  Not a wholesale rebuilding like last season though!   

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

This is the first season that I can recall for many many years that we have had a solid reliable and dependable team that has worked hard, been energetic and well organised.  These qualities are reflected in our record number of clean sheets.  Next season we should be even more so as the players now know each other better and aware of each others' strengths and weaknesses.  I suspect we may lose one or two though like Cedric.  This is a great platform on which to build.  We've also got a batch of talented youngsters breaking through.  So, as others have said, its maybe a case of more fine tuning now.  

What we do need to do though is to bring a bot more creativity and perhaps pace to the team.  We're a bit light up front.  As things stand we may ned to strengthen central defence (if Cedric goes and Aldred doesn't stay on) get some cover for left wing back and maybe bring in a couple of strikers.    So we're maybe looking at 4 players, more if others like Rose and Ciftci move on.  Not a wholesale rebuilding like last season though!   

I would not hold out huge hope for more creativity in truth, we have that already in midfield with Biggi and he can’t get a game. Not sure that’s the Robinson way.

A few weeks ago Robinson said that this was (obviously) the first step and he wanted to "refine" the team over the summer.  I was hoping that might mean adding a few more footballers to the squad. It's possible to be hard working hard tackling and play decent football.

• Like 2

I’d like to see us getting another striker in the Higgins mould. Have always thought that Connor Sammon might fit this bill but after his indifferent season at Thistle I’m not so sure but if he’s released by Hearts is he worth a punt as a spare striker? I’d imagine that at 31, he won’t be too expensive a wage. 

54 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Been told by a good source that Grimshaw has signed a 1 year extension but not being announced to later. 

Good news if true. I think Liam has shown a lot of character sitting on the bench for much of the season, behind Rose, McHugh and Campbell in the pecking order. Having finally been given his chance, his recent performances show he has lots of willing for the Well cause.

59 minutes ago, stuwell said:

I’d like to see us getting another striker in the Higgins mould. Have always thought that Connor Sammon might fit this bill but after his indifferent season at Thistle I’m not so sure but if he’s released by Hearts is he worth a punt as a spare striker? I’d imagine that at 31, he won’t be too expensive a wage. 

I take it auto type meant Higdon. I can see where you are coming from with the Sammon idea. He hasn't fitted in at Hearts, and has spent this season with a very indifferent Partick. On recent form, most fans are likely to say no. I think our style suits a big hitman up front. I remember Sammon's goal scoring ability at Kilmarnock. Maybe the Northern Ireland link might help Robinson restore him to his past glory.

1 hour ago, stuwell said:

Not for me i’m afraid, seen him a few times this season and he’s not good enough in my view.

1 hour ago, gullane said:

I take it auto type meant Higdon. I can see where you are coming from with the Sammon idea. He hasn't fitted in at Hearts, and has spent this season with a very indifferent Partick. On recent form, most fans are likely to say no. I think our style suits a big hitman up front. I remember Sammon's goal scoring ability at Kilmarnock. Maybe the Northern Ireland link might help Robinson restore him to his past glory.

Auto type or total balls up I’m not sure but yes Higdon is who I meant. As I said I’m not sure of him at the moment but his form at Kilmarnock says that he can score goals. 

• Andy_P locked this topic