The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, The African said:

Ferguson - a decent young keeper who offers cover for the bench and perhaps will push for the starting spot once Trevor moves on.

Just out of interest, what's this based on? I have never seen him but have only ever seen folk say generally awful hings about him and seena few awful highlights

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

A

A bit?  According to that pish Tom Aldred is not a regular.  Have they changed the meaning of that word recently?

LOL

Aye, maybe quite a bit. I still found the stats and the not very likely proposed targets comparisons quite interesting though.

As an aside, is McHugh out of contract this summer or has he re-signed and I’ve forgotten?

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Just out of interest, what's this based on? I have never seen him but have only ever seen folk say generally awful hings about him and seena few awful highlights

Second hand info. I have a former colleague who is a lifelong Airdrie fan who has kept in touch after I moved away from Scotland. They have been very positive about Ferguson, though phrases like “ not the finished article” and “still needs to work on his weaknesses “ have appeared in the last season. He does know his football though and I would generally trust his judgement. He was genuinely upset when we signed Ferguson, as he thought he was bound for bigger and better things.

15 hours ago, Gadgey said:

This made me chuckle. 

Baseless nonsense. Must be related to Agent Scotland! 

We'd get more for Cadden leaving on freedom of contract than we would selling him this summer, Aldred has hardly missed a game since he came in, pushing Naismith as a much better player than Tait and suggesting our defence needs "quality and depth" when we have just broke a clean sheet record is just a few blaring bits of utter bollocks. 

24 minutes ago, Well Up For It! said:

This made me chuckle. 

Baseless nonsense. Must be related to Agent Scotland! 

We'd get more for Cadden leaving on freedom of contract than we would selling him this summer, Aldred has hardly missed a game since he came in, pushing Naismith as a much better player than Tait and suggesting our defence needs "quality and depth" when we have just broke a clean sheet record is just a few blaring bits of utter bollocks. 

Yep, the whole thing is inaccurate with no real substance. You would almost think the guy had not seen a Motherwell game this season.

Moving to the forward line and our check will be on process of statistical elimination. The contenders - Mikael Mandron of Colchester, Franco Ferrari of Genoa (out on loan in Serie C), Filip Balaj of MSK Zilina and Gustaf Nilsson of Brondby (on loan at Silkeborg)

It's that bit I like, where these guys names coming from?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The African said:

Second hand info. I have a former colleague who is a lifelong Airdrie fan who has kept in touch after I moved away from Scotland. They have been very positive about Ferguson, though phrases like “ not the finished article” and “still needs to work on his weaknesses “ have appeared in the last season. He does know his football though and I would generally trust his judgement. He was genuinely upset when we signed Ferguson, as he thought he was bound for bigger and better things.

Are you sure he wasn't just upset  at the fact it was Motherwell who signed him? Raised over in the dark side of the M8 I also have numerous mates who support Airdrie and whilst friends for the best part of thirty years they may well be the signing of Ferguson and us effectively being something of a "parent club" in recent times with the numerous loanees we've sent their way is viewed as a none too pleasant and continual reminder of their current status.

I don't understand resigning Rose when we should be looking to bring on Turnbull and Brown and move Cadden from wing back into midfield.

The guy has had a couple of decent games when we got a flukey lead and sat on it but if you have to break a team down or chase a game he's worse than a man down.

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't understand resigning Rose when we should be looking to bring on Turnbull and Brown and move Cadden from wing back into midfield.

The guy has had a couple of decent games when we got a flukey lead and sat on it but if you have to break a team down or chase a game he's worse than a man down.

I think Rose is underestimated in truth, puts in a shift and we often looking better with him in the team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wellowell said:

Had heard about Grimshaw but Rose a pleasant surprise seems like we only need gap fillers next season as all of current team except loanees are signed up . Another striker and defence back up along with a creative midfielder would do nicely . 

Another season of Howf football then ,really thought Robinson might try to reinvent the style next season  get some creativity in the middle of the park  early days I know but hope for better quality of player for next season 

52 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Another season of Howf football then ,really thought Robinson might try to reinvent the style next season  get some creativity in the middle of the park  early days I know but hope for better quality of player for next season 

But this is Robinson’s style and why would he change something that works ? He obviously thinks on our budget this style of football gives the best chance of success. Hard to argue after this season really. Not always pretty to watch but again can we afford players with a better technical ability that would develop us further ?

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Not always pretty to watch but again can we afford players with a better technical ability that would develop us further ?

Yes.

The same signing philosophy would apply. Young players lacking first team opportunities with a point to prove. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

...can we afford players with a better technical ability that would develop us further ?

No, we can’t afford this kind of ready made technical player. However, you can sometimes get lucky with the occasional promising youth player coming through if you can hang on to him for a short while. Or a loanee who has lost their way in the game and are trying to reestablish themselves.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I think Rose is underestimated in truth, puts in a shift and we often looking better with him in the team.

Totally agree. Rose is very much a player`s player doing a lot of unseen work.

The club deserve to be applauded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Are you sure he wasn't just upset  at the fact it was Motherwell who signed him? Raised over in the dark side of the M8 I also have numerous mates who support Airdrie and whilst friends for the best part of thirty years they may well be the signing of Ferguson and us effectively being something of a "parent club" in recent times with the numerous loanees we've sent their way is viewed as a none too pleasant and continual reminder of their current status.

Don’t think there was much of that. He was pretty realistic about where Airdrie are at present. Just happy that he still had his team to follow. 

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic