The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

What worries me is this much talked about scouting system that we seem to have decided is the way forward.

I'm not saying its been a total failure but I don't think its worked out any better(in fact i'd say its been worse) than using traditional methods of actually spotting a player rather than some sort of moneyball rip off.

Interesting to note that as far as i'm aware our one really good signing in the summer (McHugh) wasn't scouted using this system and was in fact recommended to the manager by his then assistant who is now of course our manager.

This was from an interview that Robinson did as Oldham manager when he talked about how he would have made McHugh his first signing if he hadn't already told McGhee about him.

I suspect it’s just a matter of time before we get relegated. It could be this season, or the next but it’s on the horizon. Hibernian and Dundee United probably thought they were too good to go down, however, look what happened to them. We rode our luck through previous non ‘relegations’, but I suspect the lower leagues will be calling our name sooner rather than later. Maybe it’s for the best as it will give us an opportunity to rebuild for the future. It worked in the early 80s and I don’t see why it can’t again. Our days of finishing second or third are a distant memory and the prospect of relegation this season just got real.

I suspect it’s just a matter of time before we get relegated. It could be this season, or the next but it’s on the horizon. Hibernian and Dundee United probably thought they were too good to go down, however, look what happened to them. We rode our luck through previous non ‘relegations’, but I suspect the lower leagues will be calling our name sooner rather than later. Maybe it’s for the best as it will give us an opportunity to rebuild for the future. It worked in the early 80s and I don’t see why it can’t again. Our days of finishing second or third are a distant memory and the prospect of relegation this season just got real.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you are saying. Although I would argue that Hibs and Dundee Utd were better teams than we are just now and had the resources to survive for a couple of seasons down in the Championship. Like you I have seen a few relegations but I don't see anyway back for us soon as we don't have the resources under our WS model. We will need to rely on youth and these need good management and coaching. unfortunately not something we have at the club. I see an extended spell out of the SPL and could see us dropping further.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you are saying. Although I would argue that Hibs and Dundee Utd were better teams than we are just now and had the resources to survive for a couple of seasons down in the Championship. Like you I have seen a few relegations but I don't see anyway back for us soon as we don't have the resources under our WS model. We will need to rely on youth and these need good management and coaching. unfortunately not something we have at the club. I see an extended spell out of the SPL and could see us dropping further.

If we go down I think a few Motherwell fans will be in for a shock when they realise teams like Falkirk and Dunfermline are actually bigger than us.

Could potentially be a dog fight between Inverness, St. Mirren, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Motherwell just for a play off place, never mind the title.

dunfermline and falkirk are bigger than us....that might just be the biggest lot of shite ever posted on here.

Falkirk had nearly a thousand more fans at their match against Queen of the South. They haven't posted a sub 4,000 crowd this season in the league.

Here's a list of our attendances that are worse than Falkirk's lowest attendance which was 4,170.

Dundee - 4,078

Dundee - 4,002

Ross County - 3,870

Partick Thistle - 3,759

St. Johnstone - 3,739

Inverness C. Thistle - 3,696

Kilmarnock - 3,684

St. Johnstone - 3,588

Aberdeen - 3,428

Ross County - 3,177

Inverness C. Thistle - 3,131

Falkirk's average league attendance was 5,032. Ours (including matches against Rangers and Celtic) was 4,436.

Dunfermline also had a higher average attendance - 4.438. Their crowds tend to fluctuate more but they had 6 home matches with more than 5,000 in attendance compared to our 2 (Rangers and Celtic).

Totally resigned to the dreaded drop this season!

However, Robinson, coaching staff and players have 3 games to retrieve this situation.

Game plan should be a basic 4-4-2 with players playing familiar roles that give us an outlet to be more creative or direct.

No more systems that stifle the attacking drive of Cadden etc.

If a younger full back is required, play him!

This over complicating formations have resulted in the square root of zero this season.

However, McHugh is the only one that throws up a dilemma!

We certainly miss his drive in midfield but he has steadied the back line.

3 games with simple, uncomplicated tactics with a balanced formation.

Not too much to ask for!!!

• Like 2

Falkirk had nearly a thousand more fans at their match against Queen of the South. They haven't posted a sub 4,000 crowd this season in the league.

Here's a list of our attendances that are worse than Falkirk's lowest attendance which was 4,170.

Dundee - 4,078

Dundee - 4,002

Ross County - 3,870

Partick Thistle - 3,759

St. Johnstone - 3,739

Inverness C. Thistle - 3,696

Kilmarnock - 3,684

St. Johnstone - 3,588

Aberdeen - 3,428

Ross County - 3,177

Inverness C. Thistle - 3,131

Falkirk's average league attendance was 5,032. Ours (including matches against Rangers and Celtic) was 4,436.

Dunfermline also had a higher average attendance - 4.438. Their crowds tend to fluctuate more but they had 6 home matches with more than 5,000 in attendance compared to our 2 (Rangers and Celtic).

If Falkirk were 11th in the top flight with three games left, would their average attendance be 5,032?

If Falkirk were 11th in the top flight with three games left, would their average attendance be 5,032?

Take your point Jay, but if (when) we're 2nd in the Championship, will ours?

Totally agree . Cadden is not and never will be a full back . Get a right back in from u20s ferguson or watt and play Cadden where he's effective . It's not rocket science FFS . We're over complicating things .

Watt wouldn't be eligible to play.

Take your point Jay, but if (when) we're 2nd in the Championship, will ours?

I genuinely don't know, is the answer to that!

If we were winning games, scoring goals, and in with a chance of promotion, would our attendances increase? My own personal opinion is that they probably would but I don't really have any evidence for that.

To be honest, I'm not necessarily arguing that Motherwell are bigger than Falkirk, I just don't buy for a second that Falkirk are bigger than Motherwell, and certainly not because of attendance figures from this season. I've long since viewed clubs like ourselves on a par with the likes of Kilmarnock, Falkirk and Dunfermline.

I see us as being a fair bit bigger than Falkirk, but then I'm from Falkirk so I probably would. Saying that though, I doubt any of my Falkirk-supporting mates would argue too much with that.

What I will say in Falkirk's favour with being from there, is that they must have the highest percentage of population who support their local side. Out of all my friends there are only 2 Old Firm fans and the rest are all season ticket-holding Falkirk fans.

• Like 2

What a pishy argument to be having anyway...after the Old Firm and other city clubs, you have a bunch of clubs who are all a much of a muchness in terms of stature... the likes of Killie, Dunfermline, Falkirk, St Mirren and ourselves, there really isnt much in it either way.

• Like 2

...after the Old Firm and other city clubs, you have a bunch of clubs who are all a much of a muchness in terms of stature...

Pretty much this. Out with Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs there is nothing between the other similar sized clubs in the home support they can potentially attract. Of course this can vary depending on the importance of the game.

What a pishy argument to be having anyway...after the Old Firm and other city clubs, you have a bunch of clubs who are all a much of a muchness in terms of stature... the likes of Killie, Dunfermline, Falkirk, St Mirren and ourselves, there really isnt much in it either way.

Pretty much my thoughts on it too.

• Andy_P locked this topic