The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

So yet again a potential signing is written off before he's even taken the field. Will we never learn? Perhaps, those obviously more knowledgeable than our manager and scouting team wish to advice of more desirable signings within our budget range, that actually want to play for us.

Would be good if we could get another centre half in and if possible push kipre in front of the back three. He has height strength and pace. Recon he would play well in there and win everything going. What's everyone else's opinions

Don't know much about Halkett but one of our big problems this season is we have no pace through the middle of the team. When teams get behind us in the 50 - 30 yards out area we have a lot of trouble.

I'd be looking for a centre back that was relatively quick - someone in the Mark Reynolds mould.

What's everyone's thoughts on Curtis main? Looking at his stats there not the greatest. If that's all we can attract then we are in trouble.

But if we only ever looked at stats teams probably wouldn't sign half the players they do.

Look at Moult for example. Until what, his 5th or 6th team or some such his stats suggest every inch of him being a journeyman player dropping down the levels with his career going only one way.

Stats don't take into account injuries, they don't factor in the player's hunger or desire to make a fresh start at a new club, they give you little indication of what the competition for places was like.

I know absolutely nothing about this guy but I'm certainly not going to be suggesting we're in trouble because at first glance his stats don't immediately look the greatest.

• Like 4

Wouldnt be surprised if a return to the club for a former centre half didnt happen in January whether that be Reynolds/heneghan etc

Heard a rumour at the game on Saturday that Heneghan may indeed be coming back on a loan deal, as he is not getting much game time in Sheffield.

Forgive me I have really lofty expectations.. A striker with a decent goal scoring record and someone well thought of would be fabulous

Will assume you are taking the piss but if not can you explain why you think such a player would 1 be available and 2 want to come to Motherwell if he was.

Will assume you are taking the piss but if not can you explain why you think such a player would 1 be available and 2 want to come to Motherwell if he was.

Presumably we havent sold our star striker in mid-December for relative buttons (when you deduct Les/Boyle/Wrexham slices) without having a good replacement lined up?

• Like 1

My expectations of what we can attract is pretty low but even then I expect we replace Moult with someone with a decent goal scoring record. Forgive me if a guy scoring 5 goals in 60 for Darlington doesn't get the juices flowing. This guy could sign and turn out to be the next Louis Moult but as a fan the only thing we have to go on with players we don't know from Adam is previous clubs fans and statistics. Both of which are pretty bad if you have actually have a look.

Not asking the club to move mountains here, all I am saying is we should be looking to sign someone with a good record and a decent upside. This notion that we are unable to sign anyone with either of the above is absolute nonsense. Granted it will normally be from a lower level probably but these players are there. Hopefully we have a couple of others signings up our sleeve.

In January were limited to players who have been let go for nothing, or those we can get for a very small fee. Then we also have to persuade them to come here.

Our options in January are a reclamation project type, where the player has dropped the divisions or is out of favour, but has something there that we think we can bring out. Or a lower league or younger player with potential that we can get for a small fee. In the summer we have a far better chance of getting someone more established as more players will be out of contract.

Regardless off the above, it is going to be rare that we bring in anyone whos the finished article, or even close, and theres always going to be the risk of a Blyth or a fletcher. Hartley seems to be the closest to a finished article that we have managed to bring in in a while, and for that one I think weve capitalized on a weird situation with blackpool.

Getting a striker in on loan would surely be better than a signing at this stage.

Got to be guys out there that are down the pecking order at a higher level who would want an opportunity to score goals and give their manager a wee reminder.

We sign someone and it's probably going to be a lower level player.

We need quality in, not another one through the revolving door of dross.

• Like 1

Yes but we already have 2 shite physical target men who can hold the ball up and score 3 goals a season!

Who are they?? I wouldnt class either Bowman or Fisher as target men.

Bowman runs the channels well and in my opinion needs to play alongside someone better at holding and link up ala Moult. At the weekend we looked better with Bowman playing off the defenders shoulders. When we go long and use him as a target we suffer. Because he isnt very good at that. No surprise hes better with a main focal striker.

Fisher himself stated he wasnt an out and out striker and I believe more a no 10. Again better playing off a target man.

Main could well be that focal point to play off for Bowman and Fisher or someone else.

• Like 1

Yes but we already have 2 shite physical target men who can hold the ball up and score 3 goals a season!

That's where I disagree, if he is able to at least hold the ball up that will be an upgrade on Fisher.

If he can then hold it up and link the play then he'll be an upgrade on big bowman too.

I still believe there could be a player in bowman if we can somehow disable his homing device that leads him to the corner flag

• Like 1

Getting a striker in on loan would surely be better than a signing at this stage.

Got to be guys out there that are down the pecking order at a higher level who would want an opportunity to score goals and give their manager a wee reminder.

Yhats why Im amazed if we let Moult go only to be replaced by a worse Alex Fisher!

Surely we allowed the transfer after looking at loan targets and setting something up? Or is that too much like common sense?

That's where I disagree, if he is able to at least hold the ball up that will be an upgrade on Fisher.

If he can then hold it up and link the play then he'll be an upgrade on big bowman too.

I still believe there could be a player in bowman if we can somehow disable his homing device that leads him to the corner flag

To be quite honest, if he can tie his own bootlaces or kick a ball at all he will be an upgrade on Fisher.

• Like 1

Agree completely with this, we should be looking at young players from epl clubs on loan

That was the market we did well with in the past ie juke and Blackman etc

• Andy_P locked this topic