The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

The Club's a total shambles!

Only decent aspect is the youth teams!

And a superb pitch - grounds man and staff are top end!

We are heading to the Championship and don't expect a return any time soon.

We are where we are, nothing to do with being unlucky, no breaks etc.

Sorry, but we are totally rudderless and have adopted a failed model - recruiting players not good enough or a season away from the step up.

Don't hold your breath on a miraculous recovery.

Fuckin' scunnered!!!,

Motivational stuff!

Griffiths is still very much untested in my opinion, but it would be a worrying trend if we replaced our first choice keeper with our second choice keeper every season.

The returning players/veterans argument is an interesting one. There's been times over the course of the season where I thought that over reliance on Hammell and Lasley was hampering us.

Both have obvious physical limitations at this stage of their careers, but the fact that even at this crucial stage of the season, they are both the best available options in their area, tells me that we have failed miserably in our attempts to replace or phase them out.

Bemoaning the fact that they aren't as able as they used to be is all well and good, but until we replace them with players who are better than their current ability, it is an immaterial moan.

• Like 3

So who are the 14?

Tait

Heneghan

McManus

Hammell

McHugh

Clay

Campbell

Cadden

Frear

Bowman

Blyth

Moult

I can't think of any others unless he's including MacLean and McMillan. Maybe Dom Thomas.

Big job as others have said. Given we may lose Moult and Heneghan from that list too, you're looking at only 3 or 4 probably first picks left. Either the U20s really have to step up or Robinson will face a stern test in terms of recruitment...

There has been a tendency with our squad recently that it's been dominated by guys in their 30s and very young players.

Looking forward, interesting that three players that you have to think will be starters next season (McHugh, Frear and Tait) are all in their mid 20s, in their prime theoretically for a footballer. Add to that, Cadden has already played over 50 first team games. So there is a bit of experience without relying on veterans providing it.

Obviously depending on what happens with Heneghan and McManus, areas in the team that need most work are at both ends of the park. Replacing Moult and McDonald will be tough. Given what I previously said about the age of players in the squad, it will be interesting to see the approach we take. Do we look at bringing in a couple of 'veterans' in key positions or do we look at bringing in prospects to possibly sell on like Johnson and combine them with the guys coming through from the U20s.

I think it could be an interesting summer...

I would imagine we will start seeing new signings fairly quick. Mannus is a stick on for 1st choice keeper next year. I'm sure Robbo will be on the phone today trying to make some thing happen. Can't see us keeping any of the out of contract guys. Surely McDonald will be back to Australia if he leaves? Don't fancy seeing him at another Scottish team.

So who are the 14?

Tait

Heneghan

McManus

Hammell

McHugh

Clay

Campbell

Cadden

Frear

Bowman

Blyth

Moult

Only others I can think are youngsters like MacMillan, Watt, Thomas, MacLean & Hastie. Of the above, we may try to move on the likes of Blyth and Clay. Hopefully Moult too will move on for a decent fee although he'll be missed.

I would imagine we will start seeing new signings fairly quick. Mannus is a stick on for 1st choice keeper next year. I'm sure Robbo will be on the phone today trying to make some thing happen. Can't see us keeping any of the out of contract guys. Surely McDonald will be back to Australia if he leaves? Don't fancy seeing him at another Scottish team.

Mannus? Hmmm 1 shite keeper for another.

Mannus? Hmmm 1 shite keeper for another.

The reports in the press last week were that Mannus was about to sign a new deal with St. Johnstone. I suppose Wright said pretty much the same thing about Swanson who ended up signing a pre-contract with Hibs but the fact that he's been getting games recently and St Johnstone finishing in a European spot may well mean he'd be happy enough to stay put.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/424369/alan-mannus-set-sign-new-deal-st-johnstone/

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright is confident goalkeeper Alan Mannus will sign a new deal “in the next few days”.

There has been speculation that Motherwell were hoping to lure the Northern Ireland international to Fir Park in the summer but Wright believes his fellow countryman will be happy to resume his battle with Zander Clark for the number one position next season.

Wright said: “I had a good chat with Alan the other day and I am hopeful we can tie up a contract extension in the next few days.

“It has been very positive.

“I want him to stay and the feeling I get is that he wants to stay.

“We still have a little bit of work to do on it but hopefully that can be sorted out quickly.

“There are a few players whose futures have still to be sorted out and getting into the top six again obviously helps out with the budget.

“We never wanted Alan to leave. The fact he wasn’t playing until six or seven weeks ago, we thought he might not want to stay. But he has got back in and done well for us.”

Wright believes he has best pair of keepers in Scotland.

“Having two number one keepers does have the potential to cause problems but I know Alan and Zander and it has never been an issue,” he said.

“They are good for each one another, pushing each other every day in training.

“Having two quality goalkeepers has been important for our success this season.

“I don’t know if there is any club in the country with two such good keepers on the books.

“You could argue maybe Craig Gordon and Joe Lewis are better number ones but we have probably the best in terms of two to pick from.”

I say it every season, but this season I think I'll stick to it.

I'm not reading any of the transfer threads during the summer.

When it's announced on Twitter by the club, I'll believe it. The rumours posted on here are almost always mince.

• Like 1

Not sure if reported but Graham Carey was also at Fir Park last night.

Picture of him and his rather attractive partner doing the rounds - on Plymouth Herald:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/graham-carey-attends-motherwell-game-as-plymouth-argyle-future-still-in-doubt/story-30338075-detail/story.html

Probably nothing in it

He played with McHugh at Plymouth I'd imagine that'd be a fairly rational reason to him being there.

Having read the article, they're still pretty seething about McHugh electing to move here eh?

Picture of him and his rather attractive partner doing the rounds - on Plymouth Herald:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/graham-carey-attends-motherwell-game-as-plymouth-argyle-future-still-in-doubt/story-30338075-detail/story.html

Probably nothing in it

I could not place that face at all, so thanks for that.

Humphrey and Marvin as well, so here's hoping we're just playing five wingers.

Probably nothing in it

Would be a good signing I've got to say

I say it every season, but this season I think I'll stick to it.

I'm not reading any of the transfer threads during the summer.

When it's announced on Twitter by the club, I'll believe it. The rumours posted on here are almost always mince.

See perfect example above of mince rumours already starting

I could not place that face at all, so thanks for that.

Humphrey and Marvin as well, so here's hoping we're just playing five wingers.

Looked on that transfermarkt site. I was sure I'd heard he had been playing as a number 10 this season and his stats seem to suggest that. 15 goals and 16 assists last season, great record, which probably leads me to think he'll move somewhere better than us, but him being at Fir Park might have something in it.

On the topic of players sighted at Fir Park, I also follow Coventry down south and Chris Stokes had a photo on his instagram of him at the Ross County game the other week. The caption suggested that he was up watching "his boy" Elliott Frear but it seemed a long way to come for a game. That said, maybe the performance would have scared him off if there was anything in it. He's been out injured for a large chunk of this season, but was superb last season and would take him at either left back or centre half for us. He's been offered a new deal at Coventry, but I wonder if the drop to League Two is making him look elsewhere.

• Andy_P locked this topic